The Student Room Group

Should I apply to these unis for economics with ABB

Hey, I just wanted to know whether I would be accepted to these unis with an AAB
A in maths, B in econ and A in geography
The university’s Ive applies to is
1.university of Birmingham
2. University of Manchester
3. Lancaster
4.UCL
5. Uni of Bath
Btw I live in London and would be moving away.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah, you might receive offers. Try using this: https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
Reply 2
Original post by Annonymous07
Hey, I just wanted to know whether I would be accepted to these unis with an ABB
3. Lancaster
4.UCL
5. Uni of Bath

UCL requires A*AA (or A*AB as a contextual offer)
Bath requires A*AA (or AAA if you have an EPQ or AS FM)

You could get an offer from the above two, although it might be quite unlikely. Perhaps it is better to apply to more unis in the AAA-ABB range?

Manchester and Lancaster requires AAB but you probably would get an offer. Birmingham requires AAA/AAB so you could get an offer there too, it seems they give a lower offer if you have a B or above in A level maths for 2020 entry.
The lower grade in Economics could potentially put some universities off.
I think UCL is definitely a no-go as they specifically require an A* in maths, and A in economics if offered along with A*AA overall, and Bath is seems not likely either. Lancaster I think is a reasonable option and maybe Birmingham/Manchester as slightly more aspirational but still realistic possibilities. I'd recommend picking an ABB course somewhere as a "safety" option, and another AAB course (or perhaps AAA from a uni well known to often give lower offers, e.g. Exeter).
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey, I just wanted to know whether I would be accepted to these unis with an ABB
3. Lancaster
4.UCL
5. Uni of Bath

Hi @Annonymous07,
Lancaster requires AAB for BSc Economics. Since you're only a grade off I'd strongly recommend applying as there's a good chance you might get an offer.
Let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Edminzodo
The lower grade in Economics could potentially put some universities off.

Yh I’m predicted 2 A’s but universities won’t care about the A in geo tbh, but as I’m predicted an A in maths would there still be a chance? Apparently I was told that if you get a B in econ, they wouldn’t mind too much as I’ve got an A in maths, not quite sure tbh
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Annonymous07,
Lancaster requires AAB for BSc Economics. Since you're only a grade off I'd strongly recommend applying as there's a good chance you might get an offer.
Let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Hey thanks for the reply x. Would the B in econ make a massive difference. The A in geo wouldn’t matter but will the A in maths boost the chance?
Original post by artful_lounger
I think UCL is definitely a no-go as they specifically require an A* in maths, and A in economics if offered along with A*AA overall, and Bath is seems not likely either. Lancaster I think is a reasonable option and maybe Birmingham/Manchester as slightly more aspirational but still realistic possibilities. I'd recommend picking an ABB course somewhere as a "safety" option, and another AAB course (or perhaps AAA from a uni well known to often give lower offers, e.g. Exeter).

Do you recommend any other unis that I could possibly be accepted in with the Grades A in Maths, geo A, and Econ B, maybe Liverpool or something? Any decent unis?
Do you recommend any other unis that I could possibly be accepted in with the Grades A in Maths, geo A, and Econ B, maybe Liverpool or something? Any decent unis?

Student Vlogs Dylan a you tuber got into York with a BBB. His vids are still on there. Economics
Original post by Ghostlady
Student Vlogs Dylan a you tuber got into York with a BBB. His vids are still on there. Economics

Yh watch his vids too!😝 but I don’t want to be too far away from home, especially as I live in London, maybe furthest I would travel is 4 hours
Ive often found that What Uni website is good. Put in what you want to study, then your predicted grades and then see what pops up :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Ive often found that What Uni website is good. Put in what you want to study, then your predicted grades and then see what pops up :smile:

Thanks x
Hey, I just wanted to know whether I would be accepted to these unis with an AAB
3. Lancaster
4.UCL
5. Uni of Bath

If you’re applying with these grades confirmed, then I would say UCL would most likely reject you.
Probably Bath as well, but given the Corona situation you could risk it but be prepared a rejection is still most likely option.

The other 3 are fine providing you have a couple safer applications as well.
Hey thanks for the reply x. Would the B in econ make a massive difference. The A in geo wouldn’t matter but will the A in maths boost the chance?

Hi Anon,
I'm not an admissions tutor so I can't really answer that. You can contact admissions with your question and they'll be able to help:
[email protected] 01524 592028
Yh watch his vids too!😝 but I don’t want to be too far away from home, especially as I live in London, maybe furthest I would travel is 4 hours

London Kings Cross to York is just over 2 hours by fast train - just saying!

London Kings Cross to York is just over 2 hours by fast train - just saying!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending