liamlarner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
so im doing this GCSE next year as a private candidate June 2021 last time i did History i got a C in 2016 hoping for a 8 or 9 what are the best ways to study history for the AQA course im doing

Germany 1890-1945 Democracy and Dictatorship
Conflict and Tension between east and west 1945-1972
Health and the People c1000 to the present day
Elizabethan England c1568-1603
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Tbh having as much knowledge of the topics will help you give a better well balanced (if you can) response. I recommend you learn the exam technique of the style of questions for AQA history. It’s hard to find resources tbh for history so learning from the book will give you a solid foundation and overview and you could try to find extra stuff to understand the context more better or add more detail.
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi there! In my history mocks, I got 9s and was headed for a grade 9 at the end of the course, so I'll try and give some advice. To be honest, history is my favourite subject so I do think it came quite naturally to me, if that makes sense. However, this worked for me. So, what I did is i'd get an A5 flashcard and on this flashcard, I'd write a list of key dates then put next to them the name of the events that happened.The only topic I studied that you also do was the medicine one. Now, the beautiful thing about GCSE history exams is that you DON'T need to know every single date (but you MUST know the REALLY important ones, like germ theory!!). For example, I could know that Edward Jenner published his findings on smallpox in 1798 but somebody else might not know that and reference a different event related to the question in their answer and that's fine. So because Health and the People is such a big topic, I had a flashcard of key dates dedicated individually to Medieval, Renaissance, 17thc, 18thc, 19thc and modern medicine. Obviously, for this to work, you need to know the events at least briefly. For example, if I'd written down 1861 Germ Theory and didn't know what on earth it was or who came up with it, then I'd be in trouble. Before I went into my mocks, I'd just read through these flashcards (I also just wrote down key events even if I didn't have a date for them) and then I could just pop them in my answers. Names, dates and events are CRUCIAL to learn. However, my history teacher was brilliant, so I very rarely used the revision guide for history as I hated it and preferred to revise from my actual exercise book, therefore I did tend to remember different dates/events to others. Hope this helped?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads