GOGSoc MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Emma and Ceri (www.snarlhair.co.uk) can do natural dreads formed from human hair extensions, and they look smashing. Not ratty and gross like the kinds of dreads formed by leaving your hair to its own devices.

Only thing if she dyes it is that it's difficult to do dyeing and natural dreads, since the perioxide can't be washed out properly and can damage the hair at the roots. It is possible, but it's trickier than with loose hair. Maybe get a set of (removable) synthetic dread extensions first, and then look at going for the real thing if she likes them?
oooooooh ok, thanks for the nuggets of info. i haven't got a clue (and it's all new to her) so i'll definitely be passing that on when she gets home from work!
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
Why weren't we all alive in 1968? We'd have fitted in perfectly
Just so this ends more pleasantly than it began, I meant no offence to you personally OH. I apologise if it came across that way. And yes, 1968 would have been pretty cool.
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Da Bachtopus)
Life is ok. My Berlin stay was rather overcast by a painful split with my girlfriend, two weeks after I'd left. Her decision, I couldn't talk her out of it, but I still think it was a mistake. We couldn't really even talk properly, couldn't even have a proper fight, and now I'm back and she's no longer in the house, and all her things are gone, and only this incense smell from stuff she burned all the time is still hanging in the air. I am doing my best to cheer myself up and look forward to getting back to Paris to do some proper work next year, though.
I'm so sorry; that's really the pits. There's actually nothing worse than this kind of thing, I'm really bummed for you. I hope there are other people around who can cheer you up (self-cheering is only ever half-hearted and tends to lead to some form of substance abuse in my experience). Again,

Which translation?
Scott Moncrieff.

Since the first 100 pages aren't the most interesting, I can see why so many give up.
Maybe I'm an oddity, but I'm not even 100 pages in and I'm gripped. I see the malevolence of my grandmother and the childhood melancholia and Oedipus complex of my boyfriend in every line. I'm quite hooked.

and has the rare effect of re-wiring your perception.
Aye.
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Emma and Ceri (www.snarlhair.co.uk) can do natural dreads formed from human hair extensions, and they look smashing. Not ratty and gross like the kinds of dreads formed by leaving your hair to its own devices.

Only thing if she dyes it is that it's difficult to do dyeing and natural dreads, since the perioxide can't be washed out properly and can damage the hair at the roots. It is possible, but it's trickier than with loose hair. Maybe get a set of (removable) synthetic dread extensions first, and then look at going for the real thing if she likes them?
those extensions are looking very, very cool. are you in these pics too?
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Da Bachtopus)
You could sound like a **** instead?

Is this really worth the warning I'll get for avoiding the swearfilter?
Tell me what you said to get warned! (God, will I get warned for asking? Is this China?)
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1968 was frustrating. I was there but couldn't work out how this just a teenager could get to Woodstock. Very frustrating, I spent some considerable time trying to crack that one and failed!
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
Tip: just buy crappy ones; you hardly need to look amazing. I like charity shops and Primark.
The problem is that they just fall apart if you wear them a lot. Also, I'm rather large so primark's selection is a bit more limited. I'm still buying cheap(ish) stuff, but it adds up when you've got to get a few shirts, ties, a belt, shoes, a couple of suits, trousers, etc. etc.

This has also come straight after a compulsive buying binge of an ipod and a trip to blackwells to buy pop science books (which are great but expensive).

What do peeps here think of George Monbiot?
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
Just so this ends more pleasantly than it began, I meant no offence to you personally OH. I apologise if it came across that way. And yes, 1968 would have been pretty cool.
Oh, no offence taken. It's the stupidity of most of the moderating that takes place on here that I take umbridge with. You just got in the firing line cos you're the only Tinky Winky in the wrong place at the wrong time.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
This has also come straight after a compulsive buying binge of an ipod and a trip to blackwells to buy pop science books (which are great but expensive).?
Have you read Nick Lane's Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life? I am at the moment - really interesting read.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
Have you read Nick Lane's Power, Sex, Suicide: Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life? I'm reading at the moment - really interesting read.
No, but it's on the ever growing list. I bought Bring On The Apocalypse by Monbiot (kind of science), The Trouble With Physics by Lee Smolin and to fuel my hobby the not at all science The Making of Music by Jim Naughtie.
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
Tell me what you said to get warned! (God, will I get warned for asking? Is this China?)
He made a reference to the syllable that is to be found at the start of the name of that most fine bird, the twateral. (I don't seem to get warned for talking about that grandiose creature. :dontknow:)
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jangrafess)
He made a reference to the syllable that is to be found at the start of the name of that most fine bird, the twateral. (I don't seem to get warned for talking about that grandiose creature. :dontknow:)
You know the really stupid thing - the mods who warned you lot, weren't even mods in the education area. Wes & LDK... How non-descript sexuality is that?
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
No, but it's on the ever growing list. I bought Bring On The Apocalypse by Monbiot (kind of science), The Trouble With Physics by Lee Smolin and to fuel my hobby the not at all science The Making of Music by Jim Naughtie.
I've got The Trouble With Physics although I haven't got around to reading it just yet; haven't heard of the others. I tried wading through the Principia the other day but it was mad. What do you think of Matt Ridley?
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
those extensions are looking very, very cool. are you in these pics too?
Nah, Ceri's never done my hair - yet! I can't afford it at the moment. Maybe soon
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
You know the really stupid thing - the mods who warned you lot, weren't even mods in the education area. Wes & LDK... How non-descript sexuality is that?
I agree. It's very annoying when mods who don't really know anything at all about an area come in and start modding it. It happens all the time in H&R and I often end up disagreeing with an answer to one of my post reports in there, going to an H&R mod seperately and then having to report it again. wes name searches himself using TSR search, so I'm sure he'll be along to join in on this discussion sooner or later. :yy: I think LPK does too, actually...
The Boosh
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nah, Ceri's never done my hair - yet! I can't afford it at the moment. Maybe soon
if my gf does get this done i cannot wait to see her super conservative, super super christian, parents! lol, oh i'm excited at simply the thought of it all! they pretty much think i'm satan as it is, never mind if she decides to move her looks away from perfect princess to satan's *****.
the_alba
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Boosh)
oh very, very cool! are you talking about visiting, postdocing, or docing? either way go for it!!! you cannot turn that down!!
I think she's talking about mustering up some kind of 'visiting studentship' for me? You know, totally meaningless title, but worth putting on one's CV and a nice excuse to go to the States and poach ideas and inspiration from one's genius ex-supervisor's masterbrain!
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
I've got The Trouble With Physics; haven't heard of the others. I tried wading through the Principia the other day but it was mad.
I've passed over my fetish for old works at the moment as they are really hard work and I just don't have the energy. The Smolin book should be interesting although I've heard a lot of the arguments from various horses mouths about String theory, I like George Monbiot, he is a very thorough man and I look forward to his book. The music one is supposed to be excellent and hopefully a bit of a distraction after the other two. Of course I should finish all the books I have on the go at the moment:

Graham Hancock's Fingerprints of the Gods - better than it sounds, found it on the random pile in the physics department. Guy is basically talking about the fact that at the 'dawn' of civilisation we seemed to be remarkable good at maths and astronomy, although some of his pattern-finding is rather contrived (especially after seeing a friend of mine managed to derive most of the universal constants from the dimensions of a bottle of mouthwash).
Also a bit of Hume and The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

War and Peace is on hold at the moment, I'm about half way through and I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to give a crap about any of the characters at the moment.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jangrafess)
I agree. It's very annoying when mods who don't really know anything at all about an area come in and start modding it. It happens all the time in H&R and I often end up disagreeing with an answer to one of my post reports in there, going to an H&R mod seperately and then having to report it again. wes name searches himself using TSR search, so I'm sure he'll be along to join in on this discussion sooner or later. :yy: I think LPK does too, actually...
Well, I shall be awaiting the warning for my 'non-descript sexuality' comment or calling the mods 'Tinky Winkys'.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by the_alba)
I think she's talking about mustering up some kind of 'visiting studentship' for me? You know, totally meaningless title, but worth putting on one's CV and a nice excuse to go to the States and poach ideas and inspiration from one's genius ex-supervisor's masterbrain!
I got one of those out of a conference. She's really well respected in my field and is based in Iowa City at the Uni of Iowa. Do you know whether they let you take visitings in the middle of your PhD if it's being AHRC funded?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed