GOGSoc MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
username156568
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
Oh and Ilex, you might struggle to find the excited PhD / DPhil students!
I am one! :confused:
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CDP)
How long have have you had to become depressed and disillusioned?
The Boosh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
wow 40+ posts already!!!
username156568
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
How long have have you had to become depressed and disillusioned?
Well... not depressed, not disillusioned... yet!

Starting in October.
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CDP)
Hehe, being the exception that proves the rule is a fun job! :p:
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am as well - excited at least, although I am a bit wary - God I sound like a fresher!
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My PhD excitement is on ice for the mo, but I'll defrost it in about a year, and let you know how it feels

Though I have just realised I'm still going to be living at home when I hit 27 :eek:
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Milady de Winter)
My PhD excitement is on ice for the mo, but I'll defrost it in about a year, and let you know how it feels

Though I have just realised I'm still going to be living at home when I hit 27 :eek:
The beauty of elongated adolescence eh! I think my cynicism as regards the PhD stems from what I see as the ivory tower nature of much of academia and the failure of academics to fully integrate themselves into the social and cultural realm of all rather than just a few.
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The beauty of elongated adolescence eh! I think my cynicism as regards the PhD stems from what I see as the ivory tower nature of much of academia and the failure of academics to fully integrate themselves into the social and cultural realm of all rather than just a few.
OH, did you get your AHRC award sorted out with Swansea?
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Milady de Winter)
OH, did you get your AHRC award sorted out with Swansea?
To be honest, I don't know. But get this - the administrator of the collaborative scheme is ON HOLIDAY in the middle of when they're meant to be given out. But I suppose, gee, there's no deputy??? I hate the AHRC!
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To be honest, I don't know. But get this - the administrator of the collaborative scheme is ON HOLIDAY in the middle of when they're meant to be given out. But I suppose, gee, there's no deputy??? I hate the AHRC!
Joinez-vous ma club! Perhaps AHRC should stand for A Hopelessly Rubbish Collective :no:
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Evening all (once I found you lot :eek: )

One of my tutors said that she'd throughly enjoyed her PhD and loved every minute of it (but wouldn't do it again :rolleyes: ) and how they can be really really good fun.She was known for her sarcasm so make take that little gem of info with a pinch of salt

I'll start thinking about PhDs and the like once I've seen how the MA is. I may run away from academia screaming never to face it again :woo: :no:
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just finished my final thesis chapter

Just a short conclusion and a little bit of redrafting to go!
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Eeee Well done *pours MdW a celebratory cup of tea*

Did you go straight from BA to MPhil MdW?
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
Eeee Well done *pours MdW a celebratory cup of tea*

Did you go straight from BA to MPhil MdW?
I took a year out in between, to earn money. Worked as an editorial assistant on a magazine for a few months (I used to want to be a journalist :no:), then worked for a recruitment company :mad: . Worst job ever, but it was commission based, so I saved up most of the money I needed.

Looks like I'm taking another year out in between degrees, but this one should be much more intellectually productive if I can bag the kind of art job I'm looking for, so it's actually quite exciting in some ways. And I get to go back to London! (will miss Ilex and her miniature hat though )
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Going straight through is a mad idea - I should know all about that, considering that's what I've done!
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah - seems taking years out is getting more and more common. Best of luck for the job hunting (My bro gave up on being a journalist years ago )

If you ever need a cup of tea next year just hop on a train I'm going to be close-ish to London, work will be closer

(Original post by Oriel Historian)
Going straight through is a mad idea - I should know all about that, considering that's what I've done!
I can quite see why people go back to the PhDs much later on that's for sure, especially with the ever decreasing funding in the Arts. I'd like to go straight on (going on basis that it does happen PhD & funding wise haha I can dream :rolleyes: ) as it means getting it finished earlier. On other hand getting out of it for a bit doesn't sound like a bad idea either plus earning money is always nice (if a job's out there etc etc).
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Going straight through ftw.
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
Come on, there must be a few in the first fortnight!
I am very excited at the propect of a DPhil but that will probably change when I actually get there...
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
Going straight through ftw.
I would if I could, but I can't

Trying to stay positive with the idea of a year out being interesting and relevant... but still have this nagging feeling of being an unfunded academic 2nd class citizen :woo:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (17)
34.69%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (14)
28.57%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (9)
18.37%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (4)
8.16%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (5)
10.2%

Watched Threads