GOGSoc MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by oriel historian)
Sorry, now that I've recovered from giggling whilst imagining apot getting frisky on bourbon biscuits. *shakes head back to reality* I'll come back to this. I doubt the GOGs will be that prolific either. I know I'm going to be travelling around a lot and so won't be at home and the start of any degree takes away your focus.

I thought Eru had defected to the Labour Party?
Has he? If he has he's done it without me realising. I know him quite well, and I know he's in Ireland at the moment sorting things out with her.
oriel historian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jangrafess)
Has he? If he has he's done it without me realising. I know him quite well, and I know he's in Ireland at the moment sorting things out with her.
I'm easily wrong of course. I don't follow things that closely.
apotoftea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, now that I've recovered from giggling whilst imagining apot getting frisky on bourbon biscuits. *shakes head back to reality*
:w00t: Oh dearie me *shakes head*
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by apotoftea)
:w00t: Oh dearie me *shakes head*
:rofl: Uh, yes, well *runs*

Phew: has she calmed down? Sorry apot, didn't mean to annoy you!
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:rofl: Uh, yes, well *runs*

Phew: has she calmed down? Sorry apot, didn't mean to annoy you!
You're not annoyed me at all! Was just sat reading GOGSoc and saw your thread and it was an instant "ohhhhhhh that's a random post I wasn't expecting" Made me laugh lots!

Have spent the evening looking around on the net for potential PhD supervisors - it's all getting a little too serious now :eek: This little website is a godsend: http://www.history.ac.uk/search/welcome.html
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You're not annoyed me at all! Was just sat reading GOGSoc and saw your thread and it was an instant "ohhhhhhh that's a random post I wasn't expecting" Made me laugh lots!

Have spent the evening looking around on the net for potential PhD supervisors - it's all getting a little too serious now :eek: This little website is a godsend: http://www.history.ac.uk/search/welcome.html
Yes, it's really useful that! Who've you got in mind?
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wonder if there's one similar for politics. That would be awesome.
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Socrates)
Wonder if there's one similar for politics. That would be awesome.
Is there a politics equivalent of the IHR though?
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes, it's really useful that! Who've you got in mind?
No-one in mind yet - may well be someone at Roho. Ideally it would be my UG diss supervisor but there are a couple of factors that would put me off going back (not related to the supervisor incidently) but OTOH there are factors that make me immediately think of going back if that makes sense?

I'm struggling to find a gender AND religious historian - they seem to be a rare breed at the mo. Unless I'm not looking in the right places. But a PhD for me is going to be dependent on funding or a studentship. Urgh the joys of being a student :no:

Is there a politics equivalent of the IHR though?
These are the following that make up the SAS which includes the IHR:

Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
Institute of Classical Studies
Institute of Commonwealth Studies
Institute of English Studies
Institute of Germanic & Romance Studies
Institute of Historical Research
Institute of Musical Research
Institute of Philosophy
Institute for the Study of the Americas
Warburg Institute
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No-one in mind yet - may well be someone at Roho. Ideally it would be my UG diss supervisor but there are a couple of factors that would put me off going back (not related to the supervisor incidently) but OTOH there are factors that make me immediately think of going back if that makes sense?

I'm struggling to find a gender AND religious historian - they seem to be a rare breed at the mo. Unless I'm not looking in the right places.
Don't think in those terms. Pick which you need. You can always co-supervise you see!

And yeah, makes sense - sort of like me and Oxford really.
apotoftea
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Gotta start the MA first but it all comes around so quickly doesn't it? :woo: Right I'm offskies to Bedfordshire - working tomorrow. Hurrah. Night all *waves*
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, me too [well library based work] so bonsoir tout le monde!
musicbloke
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the subject of Monbiot, I think he's sometimes a little pompous, but he is an excellent investigative journo, even if he fals back on old school liberal principles a little to often.

MB
the_alba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Monbiot's occasional Guardian green columns would put me off being green for life if I didn't now purposely ignore them. I remember his anguished description of watching his two year old daughter take delight in the trucks, lorries, tractors and buses that pass by their house, knowing one day that "we'd have to tell her... where pollution comes from... and that those trucks she loves so much are destroying the planet." I can imagine them sitting her down at the age of 7 or 8 and saying 'Now darling, mummy and daddy have something important to tell you. You see those lorries out there...' - but then daddy breaking down, wringing his hands and saying, 'No, I can't do it, it's too soon - can't we just tell her about sex instead?'
Ygraine
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've just finished reading the latest Jasper Fforde book, which was excellent as always

I now finally have a reading list to start working my way through (although still no confirmed place, poxy York). I think I'm going to begin with Piers Ploughman as it is my least favourite work on the list. I'm very happy to have something consturctive to do though
oriel historian
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
So the moderator with the name reverse of Sew decided to neg rep me. That's an abuse of position if I've ever seen it. Straight into AAM on a tuesday morning.

Soc - you ever wanted proof what we were all saying yesterday was true... I think we've found it!
Jangrafess
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
So the moderator with the name reverse of Sew decided to neg rep me. That's an abuse of position if I've ever seen it. Straight into AAM on a tuesday morning.

Soc - you ever wanted proof what we were all saying yesterday was true... I think we've found it!
Pah, I shall make up for that soon.

I've just finished reading the latest Jasper Fforde book, which was excellent as always
It really was, wasn't it? I can't think of any further conversation to have on it at the moment, as I really need to rush out. But any fan of Fforde is an excellent person in my books.
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Good that you brought it up if you're annoyed, there's nothing more frustrating that reading complaints about the system in the threads and knowing you can't do anything because it's not in the right forum. Anyway...

The 'problem' if there is one is that we work as mods but rep as users. There's inevitably a conflation of the two and it's hard enough to seperate them psychologically, let alone to convince others that the two are distinct. I find it very hard negging anyway, but I negged someone the other day for being generally a four-letter word, and the complaint came back that 'a mod negged me!'. The thing is though that in my head they're seperate - if he'd been stepping over the line of bullying, I would have used to mod tools and warned him. However he didn't, so because I disagreed with him I negged him. The two are mutually exclusive in my mind - if someone's breaking the rules, you behave as a mod; if however you really take umbrage at someone's opinion (again the crucial and difficult-to-define word), then you can neg them as a user if you want (I rarely do). To try and avoid confusing the two I don't really mod in threads/areas I use - I avoid doing anything in here, for example. If there's a thread I'm arguing in in GUD I won't respond to any associated post reports, etc, etc. So that's how I try to get around it - but of course, whenever I do use the repping system to disagree with someone, it always comes back to me as a mod no matter how civil and polite I am, which does rather make me disinclined to use it.

I was thinking, on a side note, about the issue of opinions and phrasing them in a polite way. I think part of the issue is that people self-define according to their opinions, and it's difficult to thus phrase any criticism in such a way that people don't take it personally. For instance, most people don't say 'I believe in Islam', they self-identify by saying 'I'm a Muslim'. Therefore, disagreeing with Islam as an ideology entails effectively criticising who they believe themselves to be and their perceived identity, whether one means that to be the case or not. Of course there are cases where these things are more clear cut - if person A doesn't even attempt to seperate the two by saying 'I don't like Muslims' - but even so, it's hard to extracate belief from personality. It's why I'm so critical of the idea that one can separate behaviour from belief, since one defines the other to such a large extent. Ultimately, we react in the way we do because of the ideas we hold about ourselves, and that makes it extremely difficult to define the bounds of culpability and intent.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)
What really gets to me is threads where someone (as you say, usually someone arrogant and over-educated) has landed the first punch but in a non-warnable way, where the victim has then come back with '**** you' or similar, and it's the latter that is technically the warnable one. It's really not easy sometimes.
the way I used to handle situations like that:

person a) warning for trolling (preferably a 5 pointer) - they were looking to wind people up - that's trolling and against the rules even if they didn't outright insult someone.
person b) warning for insults (with a NICE message explaining that person a couldn't be warned if person b got left)
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
Yeah, they are re issuing a twatless edition. Apparently there's a poem (maybe by Browning?) where he uses **** but he mistakes it for thinking it's a piece of nun's clothing. That's a really crap, half-remembered fact, but slightly interesting all the same.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A753527

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
18.82%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
10.06%
No I am happy with my course choice (397)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (98)
14.08%

Watched Threads