Yr 12 Student seriously behind stressing out, need help

Watch
RandomStudent786
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi i am a year 12 student and due to the stress of year 11 i became addicted to a video game which helped me ignore all of my work and responsibilities, somehow i managed to get really good grades at the end of year 11 and then for year 12 i went to a prestigous grammar school full of smart individuals. I however, continued to slack off and continued to play the game and didn't realise that unlike GCSEs it wasn't possible to just do work at school, i eneded up missing a lot of school as i wasn't going in whenever there was a test, for the past 4 months of quarantine i haven't done anywork, and i remeber close to none, luckily the yr 12 exams have been moved to mid september but i only have 3 months now to learn a whole years worth of work, instead of facing it, every time i seem to go back into the cycle of not doing work, playing games, regretting it and stressing out. I brokedown last night after finally facing it because i wanted to do Medicine and right now i don't even know if i can get into a Uni for any Course, I am taking 4 A-levels, Maths Chem, Bio, Physics. And to learn everything in 3 months thoroughly doesn't seem possible to me, i can't retake the year it is way too embarassing and i don't think it is even possible in the first place, i need advice / help on what to do urgently.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
you can retake the year. plenty of people do so without fear of embarrassment. you need to get rid of gaming entirely though if you don't want a repeat of what's happened this year. some medical schools will accept resits, some won't unless you have extenuating circumstances so you need to do your research. talk to your HoY about it. or you can knuckle down now and work through the content, but you'll need to be studying intensively and have a plan in place to cover all the content.
i'd drop one of your subjects too.
Last edited by absolutelysprout; 5 months ago
jasper816
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Have you considered dropping a subject?

Medical schools only look at your top 3 a levels so there is no point talking 4 unless you enjoy them all.

You could even only take 2 and then take a gap year and take the 3rd one then, so it wouldn't count as a resit.

It can be easy to get lost in a feeling of hopelessness, so maybe take today as a self care day (and throw away the game) and then tomorrow make a plan and fight for the future you want. There are foundation courses if you are worried about grades, however there are plenty of other career choices similar to medicine that might also be for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (609)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (753)
41.81%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (359)
19.93%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (80)
4.44%

Watched Threads