Nlilly
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What would you recommend to revise this summer before beginning a level maths in September
. Are there any particular topics that need looking at.
asianism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make sure your GCSE is really solid and perhaps look at mechanics and statistics. I was meant to be taking a level maths early this year but I found statistics the hardest to get. Year 1 a level maths is basically GCSE but a little harder. There's very little new material I would say.
asianism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does that help?
fleurgw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You shouldn't need to learn a level content before starting the course, just make sure you're pretty comfortable with all the GCSE stuff.

If you really want to start on some A Level stuff, I'd recommend looking at the FSMQ syllabus which is kind of early A Level/AS Level stuff. That covers things like integration and differentiation which you don't come across in GCSE but are introduced very early in A Level and it definitely helped having done FSMQ (I did the FSMQ exam in Year 11 and am in Year 13 now and did maths and further maths at A Level).
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nlilly)
What would you recommend to revise this summer before beginning a level maths in September
. Are there any particular topics that need looking at.
In terms of revision just make sure you're comfortable with things like algebra and trigonometry which will be developed further at A level.

And it never does any harm to practise the boring stuff like basic numeracy and factorization - you'd be surprised how many people on here post A level questions and then trip up because they can't simplify basic fractions or remember simple multiplications!
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As mentioned above have a look at GCSE further maths if you didn't do it at gcse as it makes up the basis of AS maths. The week before you start year 12 just do some basic problems - just to get your head in gear.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed