The Student Room Group

To what extent are conservatives united in their view of society?

I've been trying to answer this question for some time now but I don't know how or where to start. Can someone give me some starting points? Thanks
Original post by ryukk
I've been trying to answer this question for some time now but I don't know how or where to start. Can someone give me some starting points? Thanks

The error that people make is assume there is an abstract unity among conservatives or among liberals. There are different intersections where conservatives (both social and economic conservatives) may agree but there are other points where they would disagree. This is also the same with liberals.

Also, socio-political identity such as conservatism or liberalism is not static and more on a spectrum. Hence, why a far-right conservative may hold racist views and a far-left liberal may have intolerable views as well. Both are abhorrent but on very different ends of the spectrum.

This is my opinion.
Reply 2
They're not, to put it simply. Think of the tories (or any party for that matter) as less a homogeneous group but a confederation of warring tribes. With groups of them pitty all along the spectrum from the uber right wing libertarian factions (wingnuts in everyday parlance), such as the current home sec, to the more centrist liberal variety.
You have some like Grayling who believes society needs to be used as little more than a club to squash criminal elements (as shown by his disgraceful tenure at prisons) to those like Mr Stewart who take a much more hollistic approach.

To sum up what could be a long winded and winding ramble. Just as with normal people there is a vast difference in opinion between them depending on their own personal consciousness. The only difference is whether the whips can, well, whip them into towing the party line. Something thats becoming a bit trickier these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending