How can I prepare for A level maths, bio and chem?

Watch
Amara 1420033
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Kinda stressing for September, everyone says that the jump is huge so I want to help myself out while we’ve got all this spare time. I want to study medicine so I need good grades, any tips?!
pancakesbob7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You're literally in the same situation as me just less 1 year ago.

Just do the summer work your college sets you and you should be fine - no point in starting A Level content now because you'll probably burn out or get sick of it by the time September comes round. Regarding medicine - I also want to go into medicine and I'm sure a lot of others do as it's very competitive. Don't stress about this kinda stuff, I'm sure your college will tell you everything you need to know whether it's your form tutor, medsoc, etc.

Make the most out of not doing work whilst you can - A levels can get stressful for everyone so just rest up and be prepared to work hard in September!
Amara 1420033
Rep:
?
(Original post by pancakesbob7)
You're literally in the same situation as me just less 1 year ago.

Just do the summer work your college sets you and you should be fine - no point in starting A Level content now because you'll probably burn out or get sick of it by the time September comes round. Regarding medicine - I also want to go into medicine and I'm sure a lot of others do as it's very competitive. Don't stress about this kinda stuff, I'm sure your college will tell you everything you need to know whether it's your form tutor, medsoc, etc.

Make the most out of not doing work whilst you can - A levels can get stressful for everyone so just rest up and be prepared to work hard in September!
Thanks so much for the advice good luck for medicine! X
username5309926
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m kinda in the same position! I’m taking maths chem and bio and considering geog or physics as a 4th. I’m also thinking about med. I’m just going to do the work set and briefly look over the subjects as I don’t want to teach myself something incorrectly that might limit my learning later.
Retronomical
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'd suggest first thing you do is look at the contents page for each subject. Make a revision plan in terms of each subtopic. For example, my plan was to do 3 days of biology, 3 days of chemistry and 1 day of maths per week. In the first day i used 2 exam-board accredited textbooks and loaded up some pre made online notes. I then summarized all the information into my own notes. The next 2 days i would do all the past paper questions on physics and maths tutor.

Ensure you print out a specification checklist and tick the objectives as you complete them. You can find these checklists online

Make sure that you mark each paper straight after you complete it. Use a colour code to sort the questions:
Green = answered well
Orange = Could be better/wording
Red = wrong answer

make a spreadsheet of all the percentages you get in each paper and follow your progress. Revisit your lower percentage papers here and there for active retrieval. I found the mark-schemes for biology to be quite annoying for the big markers so I'd suggest you put these mark-schemes on flashcards and memorize them as best as you can.

You can ofc make your adjustments.

Spoiler:
Show
Btw you dont need to do all of this before you start. I’d suggest you take it slow and just read over the contents page, skim through how the content looks like and have a read of the spec to familiarise yourself with what you’re going into.

In terms of the medicine application, you dont really need to worry about that much now. I suggest you apply for work experience placements and volunteering posts. You can also read a few books medical books:

Here are some of my suggestions:
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
Adventures in human being by Gavin Francis
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Good luck!
Amara 1420033
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liluzihurt)
I'd suggest first thing you do is look at the contents page for each subject. Make a revision plan in terms of each subtopic. For example, my plan was to do 3 days of biology, 3 days of chemistry and 1 day of maths per week. In the first day i used 2 exam-board accredited textbooks and loaded up some pre made online notes. I then summarized all the information into my own notes. The next 2 days i would do all the past paper questions on physics and maths tutor.

Ensure you print out a specification checklist and tick the objectives as you complete them. You can find these checklists online

Make sure that you mark each paper straight after you complete it. Use a colour code to sort the questions:
Green = answered well
Orange = Could be better/wording
Red = wrong answer

make a spreadsheet of all the percentages you get in each paper and follow your progress. Revisit your lower percentage papers here and there for active retrieval. I found the mark-schemes for biology to be quite annoying for the big markers so I'd suggest you put these mark-schemes on flashcards and memorize them as best as you can.

You can ofc make your adjustments.

Spoiler:
Show
Btw you dont need to do all of this before you start. I’d suggest you take it slow and just read over the contents page, skim through how the content looks like and have a read of the spec to familiarise yourself with what you’re going into.

In terms of the medicine application, you dont really need to worry about that much now. I suggest you apply for work experience placements and volunteering posts. You can also read a few books medical books:

Here are some of my suggestions:
The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks
Adventures in human being by Gavin Francis
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Good luck!
Thank you so much this is such good advice!
Retronomical
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Amara 1420033)
Thank you so much this is such good advice!
No worries. If you have any other questions regarding A levels or the medicine application process feel free to PM me.
Amara 1420033
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liluzihurt)
No worries. If you have any other questions regarding A levels or the medicine application process feel free to PM me.
Thank youuu x
Amara 1420033
Rep:
?
(Original post by Millie2773387)
I’m kinda in the same position! I’m taking maths chem and bio and considering geog or physics as a 4th. I’m also thinking about med. I’m just going to do the work set and briefly look over the subjects as I don’t want to teach myself something incorrectly that might limit my learning later.
Good luck with four a levels (could never be me 😂😂)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.28%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.39%
Live streaming events (46)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.75%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.2%
An in-person event when available (115)
22.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise