The Student Room Group

Is this dominance?

Ive been dating this guy for around 3.5months, and we decided to be exclusive. Not sure if its a full relationship, but it feels like one.

He recently has been saying he wants to to speak to me every day now im part of his 'close circle' of people he cares about which is nice... and he's always been the one to call me each day, even if its for a small time. ive always answered, because lockdown- theres not much else to do haha so no reason to say I cant talk.

I tend to not call him or text him first, because its naturally the way - he always does. And part of me thinks he likes it that way.
He's quite of a dominating figure, but in a nice way, like wanting to take care of me etc. Many times ive mentioned im quite independent and dont need it etc but theres a difference between needing and wanting a man.

But sometimes I feel like I cant call him if I want to speak to him at a certain time? I also dont text him first about things.
He will call randomly but doesn't tend to ask me if im free, but I put that down to lockdown also

An example, I wanted to tell him something about my family, but I dont feel like I can just pick up the phone myself? Its a weird feeling I have .. is this dominating behaviour, or am I being silly?

Shall I speak to him about it, and if so, anyone got any ideas how to bring this up?

thanks!
No it's absolutely not dominance on his part, he is just initiatiating contact because you are failing to do so.

It sounds like you are the problem tbh, you could communicate with him but you are choosing not to and you have to ask yourself why? Either you have communication issues or you are just immature...but you need to help yourself before putting the blame on your boyfriend, when he is initiating and putting in the effort (a relationship is meant to be 50/50, not 80/20)
Original post by Anonymous
Ive been dating this guy for around 3.5months, and we decided to be exclusive. Not sure if its a full relationship, but it feels like one.

He recently has been saying he wants to to speak to me every day now im part of his 'close circle' of people he cares about which is nice... and he's always been the one to call me each day, even if its for a small time. ive always answered, because lockdown- theres not much else to do haha so no reason to say I cant talk.

I tend to not call him or text him first, because its naturally the way - he always does. And part of me thinks he likes it that way.
He's quite of a dominating figure, but in a nice way, like wanting to take care of me etc. Many times ive mentioned im quite independent and dont need it etc but theres a difference between needing and wanting a man.

But sometimes I feel like I cant call him if I want to speak to him at a certain time? I also dont text him first about things.
He will call randomly but doesn't tend to ask me if im free, but I put that down to lockdown also

An example, I wanted to tell him something about my family, but I dont feel like I can just pick up the phone myself? Its a weird feeling I have .. is this dominating behaviour, or am I being silly?

Shall I speak to him about it, and if so, anyone got any ideas how to bring this up?

thanks!

If you feel like it would help you then definitely tell him.
Just say you want advice or comforting.
Don't put pressure on yourself, its completely normal.
Reply 3
No it's absolutely not dominance on his part, he is just initiatiating contact because you are failing to do so.

It sounds like you are the problem tbh, you could communicate with him but you are choosing not to and you have to ask yourself why? Either you have communication issues or you are just immature...but you need to help yourself before putting the blame on your boyfriend, when he is initiating and putting in the effort (a relationship is meant to be 50/50, not 80/20)

Its not that dont want to- it more because I get afraid of showing I need or want someone- and also more often than not - I have this hang up about not ever wanting a man to think that im needy. Im defo not blaming him, I think its nice, but I do feel ... a bit.. trapped.
its probably my insecurities - if I called him and he doesn't answer, I wouldn't feel great etc.
Its not that dont want to- it more because I get afraid of showing I need or want someone- and also more often than not - I have this hang up about not ever wanting a man to think that im needy. Im defo not blaming him, I think its nice, but I do feel ... a bit.. trapped.
its probably my insecurities - if I called him and he doesn't answer, I wouldn't feel great etc.

Yeah I completely get about insecurities, but you have to believe that he has chosen you and if he didn't want you then you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.

You can never be too needy unless you are ringing and messaging him every second of the day! Again as mentioned above, maybe you should raise this with him!!

You also have to understand that even with a friend they might not pick up all the time, it's not rejection, it's just other people have stuff going on in their life. Believe in yourself <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending