Where the government too late to impose a lockdown?

Watch
Pa0703
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hmmm... it's a tough one. I'd love to hear your opinions. What does everyone think?
BourneAsh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pa0703)
Hmmm... it's a tough one. I'd love to hear your opinions. What does everyone think?
yes 100%
Lilyeve1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yep, I went into "lockdown" before my friends by a week don't regret it and think the government should have done the same
(underlying health conditions not shielding but high risk)
jamiecjx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Considering they had ample evidence of the consequences of a late lockdown which other countries had to learn the hard way, yes.
Italy locked down around 7 days after their 50th death (March 9th compared to March 2nd) Italy had 463 deaths on the day of lockdown.
The UK locked down on 23rd March. Compare that to March 16th when they had 63 deaths). Also 7 days later. The UK had 359 deaths on the day of lockdown.
Similar numbers are seen here and I think the government should have expected similar results.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes they did, especially the ending of large scale events. Anfield with 3,000 people from the Covid 19 hotspot Madrid, for example.
Pa0703
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lilyeve1)
yep, I went into "lockdown" before my friends by a week don't regret it and think the government should have done the same
(underlying health conditions not shielding but high risk)
Thanks for replying. I went into lockdown early too because I was shielding. It definitely was the best thing for me and I agree 100% they should have done it earlier.
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by BourneAsh)
yes 100%
Thanks for replying. I agree
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamiecjx)
Considering they had ample evidence of the consequences of a late lockdown which other countries had to learn the hard way, yes.
Italy locked down around 7 days after their 50th death (March 9th compared to March 2nd) Italy had 463 deaths on the day of lockdown.
The UK locked down on 23rd March. Compare that to March 16th when they had 63 deaths). Also 7 days later. The UK had 359 deaths on the day of lockdown.
Similar numbers are seen here and I think the government should have expected similar results.
Thanks for the reply, I 100% agree with you
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)
Yes they did, especially the ending of large scale events. Anfield with 3,000 people from the Covid 19 hotspot Madrid, for example.
Thanks for replying. I agree. They should have banned mass gathering way before they imposed a lockdown.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think the government made three mistakes.
1) We didn't lock down early enough
2) Whilst not locking down we were encouraged to shake hands, go to Cheltenham and football derbys.
3) We had a gentle lockdown that wasn't strictly enforced allowing cases to continue.

Also, the Cummings affair has completely undermined any attempts for people to stay alert. People just don't care any more.

The government have well and truly cocked this one up.
Last edited by ByEeek; 3 weeks ago
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think the government made three mistakes.
1) We didn't lock down early enough
2) Whilst not locking down we were encouraged to shake hands, go to Cheltenham and football derbys.
3) We had a gentle lockdown that wasn't strictly enforced allowing cases to continue.

Also, the Cummings affair has completely undermined any attempts for people to stay alert. People just don't care any more.

The government have well and truly cocked this one up.
Preach. 100%. Right now everyone's caught up in the pandemic (and other things). When this is all over (hopefully soon) people are going to realise just how much the government messed up.
SANDERS101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Should not have been a lockdown but yes
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SANDERS101)
Why do you say that?
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by SANDERS101)
May I ask, why you think that there shouldn't have been a lockdown.
asianism
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We should keep the whole country on lockdown but gradually lift restrictions inside cities not allowing travel between cities.
Moonbow
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Definitely
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by asianism)
We should keep the whole country on lockdown but gradually lift restrictions inside cities not allowing travel between cities.
Yes, it is a good idea only to lift restrictions (carefully) in the least affected or places with a lower R rate.
Pa0703
Rep:
?
(Original post by Moonbow)
Definitely
I agree
Trotsky's Ghost
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes.

For a brief period, Korea was the worst hit area outside China.

We could have learnt a vital lesson from them but our government chose to drag its feet and not get aggressive about testing and tracing.
rxyaltyx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes definitely, they saw it coming and they put it off. selfish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (65)
19.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (72)
21.43%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (62)
18.45%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (70)
20.83%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (34)
10.12%
I haven't started researching yet (33)
9.82%

Watched Threads