The Student Room Group

Life hardships, career interests, choosing subjects in the IB or switching HS program

So, I've come to a bit of a dilemma when it comes to my subject choices and how they will relate to interest and possible future career options.

I have extracurriculars within game development and being a somewhat active member of the NYAS. I'm currently going to a school that offers the IB and will be providing me with the 2 years of the diploma however, it's a 1 and a half hour trip or so unlike the travelling distance I would have attending an usual program where I live.

Personally what I felt would align with what I'd like to pursue in the future would generally be a Physics HL and an English HL, I've been thinking about if I would need to have a Math HL course if I'd be going into an engineering field post IB or not, the general harder Maths course seems obvious though however with Maths HL, our school would require one to be taking 4 HL subjects up until exams because, they expect students to be overwhelmed by Maths HL and drop it midterm, thus taking Math HL would mean that I would have to take yet another HL subject, which doesn't seem ideal, ( generally more difficult material and another 80+ hours of material within the subject).

I've also struggled with depressive periods, was moved up a grade at grade 6 to grade 7, then fell into a depression and might be lacking some general course material..

What I would be looking at is what type of subject choices, with my interests in future career options, my general inconvenciences, circumstances and school policies would be ideal, I would also be open to hearing if perhaps with my circumstances and what I'd like to pursue, pursuing it through the IB at the school in question might not be the best option either.

Help is appreciated, and apologies for the lack of structure of the post!
Could you not go to a closer school that offers A levels? They're generally considered to be easier. What's more, universities/employers don't have a preference for IB or A levels and they don't consider one to be the more prestigious of the two - they're simply different curriculums and exams. I would just do the one that's objectively easier. It's not about taking the easy route or not fulfilling your potential; it's about being smart and efficient. There are more paths or roads for happiness and not just the one in your head presently.

I also wouldn't worry too much about your future career. They don't care what you studied at high school. It's only degrees at universities that ask for certain high school subjects as requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by Quick-use
Could you not go to a closer school that offers A levels? They're generally considered to be easier. What's more, universities/employers don't have a preference for IB or A levels and they don't consider one to be the more prestigious of the two - they're simply different curriculums and exams. I would just do the one that's objectively easier. It's not about taking the easy route or not fulfilling your potential; it's about being smart and efficient. There are more paths or roads for happiness and not just the one in your head presently.

I also wouldn't worry too much about your future career. They don't care what you studied at high school. It's only degrees at universities that ask for certain high school subjects as requirements.

In regards to universities not considering IB to be more prestigious than standard curriculum's(I live in Sweden), that would be going a bit against what I've heard, so I'd genuinely be interested in why you are of that mind. In regards to career opportunities and further education, I suppose I would be looking at well that, an university degree, considering where my interests lie with extracurricular's and interests in STEM in general.
Life is difficult though, especially if there's things happening that don't seem to be in your control..

I appreciate your response!
Original post by JonVi
In regards to universities not considering IB to be more prestigious than standard curriculum's(I live in Sweden), that would be going a bit against what I've heard, so I'd genuinely be interested in why you are of that mind. In regards to career opportunities and further education, I suppose I would be looking at well that, an university degree, considering where my interests lie with extracurricular's and interests in STEM in general.
Life is difficult though, especially if there's things happening that don't seem to be in your control..

I appreciate your response!

Are you hoping to apply to British universities or Swedish ones? Or, elsewhere? All I know is that British universities don't care whatsoever if you're doing A levels or IB. That said, however, I don't know how British or Swedish universities consider the Swedish high school curriculum. Have you looked at various university websites? If you still can't find information, consider emailing the admission teams of the degrees you're considering at the universities.

Again, whatever they write on their websites or whatever their answer is that will be the truth. There never is a hidden bias or advantage toward IB over A levels (for example).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Quick-use
Are you hoping to apply to British universities or Swedish ones? Or, elsewhere? All I know is that British universities don't care whatsoever if you're doing A levels or IB. That said, however, I don't know how British or Swedish universities consider the Swedish high school curriculum. Have you looked at various university websites? If you still can't find information, consider emailing the admission teams of the degrees you're considering at the universities.

Again, whatever they write on their websites or whatever their answer is that will be the truth. There never is a hidden bias or advantage toward IB over A levels (for example).

I've looked around a bit and I'm probably going to read up some more. I did read one of the presentations that are given to "IB coordinators and it does include a paragraph about ensuring the student that students have a competitive advantage when it comes to admissions if they are coming out of the IB.

It's difficult when there's obscure information on sites as well, ideas such as the student taking the opportunities available to them and such, which is quite obscure and relative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending