How to run away/move out at 17?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Anyone ever done this?
Would you suggest finding a flatshare, becoming a live in nanny, or going to the council asking for a flat? I have some savings but they're not amazing and London rents are ridiculous. Any advice at all?
(If the advice is 'reconsider', I have. So any useful advice would be great.)
Friends are generally upper-middle class whose parents would freak and call child services. No other family in London.
I also know it's legal for me to leave. I'm also in full time education, if that's relevant.
Like any advice from anyone who has done this or heard of someone who's done this would be amazing. Or if you just wanna throw something out there, would appreciate it. (Unless it's like. Stupid.)
Thank you!
lksjdfhudioi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can rent a room. Not sure about London but in North West its like £350-£450 a month all bills included. I'm 21 and lived on my own a year. Why do you want to leave your home?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by lksjdfhudioi)
You can rent a room. Not sure about London but in North West its like £350-£450 a month all bills included. I'm 21 and lived on my own a year. Why do you want to leave your home?
Would love to, but it's illegal for under 18s to sign a tenancy agreement. Unless I can get away with a particularly generous landlord?
lksjdfhudioi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Would love to, but it's illegal for under 18s to sign a tenancy agreement. Unless I can get away with a particularly generous landlord?
Yes, you need either a generous Landlord or you need a fake ID, fake pay slips or something. I am personally a Landlord and I check ID cards and payslips of my tenants. You need to ask why you want to move out? If it is something like domestic violence you need to phone the Police. If its just an argument with Mum or Dad can you just take a step back. Cool of with a friend a couple of days and then go back to your parents to work it out. Feel free to DM if you don't wanna say the reason on here btw.
erenusar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why do you want to leave your home and your family? I'm also 17 and leaving my family would be really hard for me, because I love them. Do you have any problem about them, do they behave badly? If so, I think you should try to fix that problems before leaving your home and family. Also If there's not a big reason, I think you shouldn't do this.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by erenusar)
Why do you want to leave your home and your family? I'm also 17 and leaving my family would be really hard for me, because I love them. Do you have any problem about them, do they behave badly? If so, I think you should try to fix that problems before leaving your home and family. Also If there's not a big reason, I think you shouldn't do this.
Thank you for your advice. I love the naivety of advising someone to try to 'fix it'. I don't mean to sound condescending - I really do appreciate that and it makes me happy to know that there are families out there that have raised children who believe that family problems can disappear if someone puts enough effort and time into them. Thank you for taking the time to respond - but fixing things is just not an option here.
sc7785595
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Find a job and save, when you think you have enough to rent an apartment and live on your own, go
Daveological
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unless you're being abused it's best to wait until you're 18 and are financially stable.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I get what it’s like to want to move out at 17. Even I want to move out at 17 but there’s a lot of factors that go into it. Do you have a job to be able to pay the bills, where would you even be able to stay, would you apply to be emancipated
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Just wait one more year
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I escaped from my parents at 18, will never go back and wish it had be possible for me to leave earlier.

Maximise your chances of accessing secure convenient accommodation that you can afford by making as many friends as you can, building up useful contacts, collecting references and quietly save up as much money as possible while ensuring that your family have no way of helping themselves to your savings.
Friends with a spare room/sofa, jobs that come with free live-in accommodation, opportunities to be a property guardian.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Y do you want to leave your family?!!
sparks8483
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Find a job, save and if you're now financially stable to live on your own, you can now move out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (76)
18.58%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (82)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (78)
19.07%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (90)
22%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.02%
I haven't started researching yet (42)
10.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise