SteveWaters
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I haven't seen an advanced maths forum so I thought I'd make it! Has anyone started the course yet? And how're you finding it?
molly_003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just started it last month...I’m actually really enjoying it !
SteveWaters
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by molly_003)
I just started it last month...I’m actually really enjoying it !
Yeah so am I! So far it doesn't seem like a big jump from higher!
username4250206
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We started just after when the higher exam was meant to be and we have so far covered partial fractions & about half of differentiation topic.
I found the partial fractions fairly easy but the differentiation got really hard really quickly (for me) as I'm really bad at trying to figure out how to manipulate your answer to simplify it. I'm finding it difficult to get any motivation to do maths work as I only took it as I didn't want to take a new subject and I thought it might be useful for chem. What's everyone else doing right now in the subject?
molly_003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Valeriex)
We started just after when the higher exam was meant to be and we have so far covered partial fractions & about half of differentiation topic.
I found the partial fractions fairly easy but the differentiation got really hard really quickly (for me) as I'm really bad at trying to figure out how to manipulate your answer to simplify it. I'm finding it difficult to get any motivation to do maths work as I only took it as I didn't want to take a new subject and I thought it might be useful for chem. What's everyone else doing right now in the subject?
We’ve almost finished the algebra topic... I think we’ve covered all of it apart from the partial fractions. I’m finding the course okay so far but I think when we go back to school and have more work I’ll find it a lot harder. My teacher has only been putting up about two lessons each week. How much work does everyone else tend to get?
username4250206
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by molly_003)
We’ve almost finished the algebra topic... I think we’ve covered all of it apart from the partial fractions. I’m finding the course okay so far but I think when we go back to school and have more work I’ll find it a lot harder. My teacher has only been putting up about two lessons each week. How much work does everyone else tend to get?
In our school we have portfolios with outcomes in them and there tends to be 2-3 videos a week so 2-3 outcomes a week. I would say each outcome takes about an hour and a half to write down some examples and do the questions.
LiamM04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
we just did partial fractions. it's alright so far. my teacher has just been uploading notes and questions - no videos!
sam1235656
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi!! I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm doing advanced higher too! We did real life differential equations(the growth and decay ones) recently and I have tried and tried but I am just completely confused where to even start with them. The wording confuses me so much and it seems to be different for every question. Would someone be able to explain the steps to me if they know them? Thank you
IbeIC123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sam1235656)
Hi!! I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm doing advanced higher too! We did real life differential equations(the growth and decay ones) recently and I have tried and tried but I am just completely confused where to even start with them. The wording confuses me so much and it seems to be different for every question. Would someone be able to explain the steps to me if they know them? Thank you
Send the question.
tibblytobblyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi everyone! do you all know if you are going to do option a or b? or what the options are?
Twumwaa01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tibblytobblyyy)
hi everyone! do you all know if you are going to do option a or b? or what the options are?
I am thinking option B because I hate proofs
camusa007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just did one of the official SQA assessments for AH maths they gave out. I’m *not* giving away anything in them but…

They are freaking difficult. Unlike any of the past paper questions I’ve came across before. I’m usually getting As in the assessment but for this one I’ll be lucky to get a C. I’d say to study hard for them but I don’t even think that will help, the questions are just soooo weird.
Twumwaa01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by camusa007)
Just did one of the official SQA assessments for AH maths they gave out. I’m *not* giving away anything in them but…

They are freaking difficult. Unlike any of the past paper questions I’ve came across before. I’m usually getting As in the assessment but for this one I’ll be lucky to get a C. I’d say to study hard for them but I don’t even think that will help, the questions are just soooo weird.
Are they similar to the 2016-2019 paper
Twumwaa01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

what option did u do?
Last edited by Twumwaa01; 1 month ago
tibblytobblyyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Do you mean the template for the 2021 exam they are giving all schools?
camusa007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Twumwaa01)
Are they similar to the 2016-2019 paper
The first few were standard C level questions the rest are nothing like 2016 - 2019. That’s why I found it difficult, there were no similar questions I could’ve practiced before hand (I’ve done all PPs from 2006 to 2019.)
Last edited by camusa007; 1 month ago
camusa007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Twumwaa01)
what option did u do?
Not sure what you mean by “option”. It was a practice paper 1 and 2 using questions provided by the SQA.
Twumwaa01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The first few were standard C level questions the rest are nothing like 2016 - 2019. That’s why I found it difficult, there were no similar questions I could’ve practiced before hand (I’ve done all PPs from 2006 to 2019.)
Damn I'm scared now
camusa007
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tibblytobblyyy)
Do you mean the template for the 2021 exam they are giving all schools?
It depends. My questions were from the official SQA material, I think that was originally intended for last year exams (that were cancelled)
Twumwaa01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not sure what you mean by “option”. It was a practice paper 1 and 2 using questions provided by the SQA.
I think mines might be different then. My teacher said there is options A and B. Remember when SQA released the options
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads