EPQ idea

Watch
ZedTV
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I had an idea- I wanna do my 5000 words on the misconception on terrorism in islam as it's something I feel strong about. I can add history, teachings, examples. for and against (where against is stromger) real life studies etc... any ideas or tips? is this a good idea?
If I do like a 30 mins PowerPoint presentation is it judged and recorded by teacher or by the examiner physically there?
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
So I had an idea- I wanna do my 5000 words on the misconception on terrorism in islam as it's something I feel strong about. I can add history, teachings, examples. for and against (where against is stromger) real life studies etc... any ideas or tips? is this a good idea?
If I do like a 30 mins PowerPoint presentation is it judged and recorded by teacher or by the examiner physically there?
Hi, I would recommend doing the EPQ, especially if you are going to put the time in...I think it's definitely worth it. Your topic sounds really cool, something I was considering actually but didn't go with. I would say that you should base your EPQ on something that you would want to study at university or do in the future because it will be more relevant and you can talk about it in personal statement and interviews, etc.

Just as a side note, 5000 words can seem like a lot at first but when you start writing in detail, it can be used up quite quickly. You should probably pick a certain aspect of terrorism and islam so that you can go into depth, not waffle btw, and also meet the 5000 words.

Hope that makes sense and feel free to DM if you need more advice!
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack-a-Jelly)
Hi, I would recommend doing the EPQ, especially if you are going to put the time in...I think it's definitely worth it. Your topic sounds really cool, something I was considering actually but didn't go with. I would say that you should base your EPQ on something that you would want to study at university or do in the future because it will be more relevant and you can talk about it in personal statement and interviews, etc.

Just as a side note, 5000 words can seem like a lot at first but when you start writing in detail, it can be used up quite quickly. You should probably pick a certain aspect of terrorism and islam so that you can go into depth, not waffle btw, and also meet the 5000 words.

Hope that makes sense and feel free to DM if you need more advice!
Do you know what the limit is?

Like 100 words over or less is ok or even 200 maybe?
username5042652
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It doesn’t matter. My friend’s brother did 10,000 words and didn’t get penalised for it. Just try not to go too under. But aim for 10% (500) words either side.
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
Do you know what the limit is?

Like 100 words over or less is ok or even 200 maybe?
yup what Dana said 10% on both sides should be fine
ZedTV
Rep:
?
my idea doesn't link to my dream undergrad degree- human sciences at oxford uni which explores the biological, social and cultural aspects of humans. actually on second thoughts does it link? or is there a better idea for a topic for my EPQ you guys can give me?

I soooo want to do it on islam and terrorism misconceptions!! I feel so good about it but does it link? plz give me alternative ideas if you can. much appreciated )))))
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
my idea doesn't link to my dream undergrad degree- human sciences at oxford uni which explores the biological, social and cultural aspects of humans. actually on second thoughts does it link? or is there a better idea for a topic for my EPQ you guys can give me?

I soooo want to do it on islam and terrorism misconceptions!! I feel so good about it but does it link? plz give me alternative ideas if you can. much appreciated )))))
I think you can definitely link the two. Maybe think about why these misconceptions are believed by so many, like what factors could lead to them to follow these misconceptions? Nature vs Nurture? Environmental factors? Maybe even try to look into some biological factors, if you could find any links I think that would be pretty cool.

It's important to understand that it doesn't have to directly relate to your degree but as long as you feel confident in it, it can be used to demonstrate a number of skills you would have picked up so you can sort of show off to universities. E.g. independent study, researching, referencing etc all skills needed at uni! I hope that helped a bit
ZedTV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack-a-Jelly)
I think you can definitely link the two. Maybe think about why these misconceptions are believed by so many, like what factors could lead to them to follow these misconceptions? Nature vs Nurture? Environmental factors? Maybe even try to look into some biological factors, if you could find any links I think that would be pretty cool.

It's important to understand that it doesn't have to directly relate to your degree but as long as you feel confident in it, it can be used to demonstrate a number of skills you would have picked up so you can sort of show off to universities. E.g. independent study, researching, referencing etc all skills needed at uni! I hope that helped a bit
I think I can talk about biased media and show my points- I'm aiming for an A* so I think I will need to look at the mark scheme- is it similar to the English speaking exam- pass merit or distinction? I did that in early year 11.
Jack-a-Jelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ZedTV)
I think I can talk about biased media and show my points- I'm aiming for an A* so I think I will need to look at the mark scheme- is it similar to the English speaking exam- pass merit or distinction? I did that in early year 11.
what do you mean by is it similar to the speaking exam? As in is it marked in that way?
If that's what you mean then no...It's quite different
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
27%
No - I have already returned home (37)
12.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.33%

Watched Threads