Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello,

I had originally chosen to do neuroscience as a degree due to my love for both psychology and biology. However, I know that I also love chemistry (I am also stronger in chem than bio) and I am now debating in a degree in biological and medicinal chemistry at Exeter thinking that I would be more successful in it and I would be easier to get one of my dream jobs in forensics or pharmaceutical regulatory affairs. I feel like it could be broader than just neuro and if I took BMC I could do a postgrad in medicine. If anyone has taken either of these courses (specifically Exeter but any uni would help) and could tell me more it would be appreciated
Cookie0799
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dechante)
Hello,

I had originally chosen to do neuroscience as a degree due to my love for both psychology and biology. However, I know that I also love chemistry (I am also stronger in chem than bio) and I am now debating in a degree in biological and medicinal chemistry at Exeter thinking that I would be more successful in it and I would be easier to get one of my dream jobs in forensics or pharmaceutical regulatory affairs. I feel like it could be broader than just neuro and if I took BMC I could do a postgrad in medicine. If anyone has taken either of these courses (specifically Exeter but any uni would help) and could tell me more it would be appreciated
I'm a Biochem undergrad currently doing an internship in life sciences industry. I feel Chemistry is definitely more in demand in industry than biological science disciplines (that neuro would fall under) and so I feel doing a degree with emphasis on chem could be beneficial. I believe you could go into postgrad med with neuro or BMC so that shouldn't sway you imo and most industry jobs are primarily concerned with your experience as opposed to your degree content (definitely do a placement year). If you're indifferent personally I would go for BMC as Chem is more in demand but if you feel more passionate about and feel you might get a better classification in neuroscience I would stick with that! If your aims are to go into an industrial setting your subject choice isn't that important in my experience. If your aim is postgrad medicine then it may be more important as one my stand you in better stead than the other.
username5383672
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there. I'm interested in medicinal chemistry as a degree also but since taking a level psychology have been really torn between the two. I don't know obviously locations but at Keele there is a neuroscience and medicinal chemistry combined honours. It's something I'm really considering so don't know if you'd want to look into that.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You can do GEM with a degree in neuroscience, or indeed any first degree depending which GEM course(s) you apply to.

I would note the BMC course at Exeter is functionally a degree in biochemistry, that is to say a biosciences degree. This should be obvious if you look at the course content (and note that Exeter doesn't actually have a chemistry department). A fair bit of the content you cover in the BMC will also be in most neuroscience degrees.

Realistically you will have more or less the same range of graduate jobs (or degrees) available with either course, since as stated they have more in common than different (assuming the neuroscience course is fairly typical). So just pick the one you like the course content for now rather than based on which you think might let you do something or else at some point in the future, because your immediate interests will make more difference in the degree you are doing now, and all the vague and nebulous maybes about the future will be quite similar for both degrees anyway.
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by username5383672)
Hi there. I'm interested in medicinal chemistry as a degree also but since taking a level psychology have been really torn between the two. I don't know obviously locations but at Keele there is a neuroscience and medicinal chemistry combined honours. It's something I'm really considering so don't know if you'd want to look into that.
Thanks but I decided that neuroscience is defo more for me as psychology and biology are more my passion than chemistry. I think I was considering medicinal chem more due to career prospects. I also thought that I was better at chemistry then biology so would therefore be more successful. This was not the case as I got AAB and the B was in chemistry so now I feel more confident with my capabilities Coincidently, Keele was actually my insurance choice but I got into my firm choice which I would rather go to. However, if I was you I would defiantly consider Keele as they offer so many joint honours to make the degree really you. I actually applied for the neuroscience and psychology joint honours there. From my experience, defo consider what you enjoy more and don't just worry about the career prospects. I went to the Keele open day so if you have any questions about the neuroscience course and how the joint honours works there lmk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (129)
14.61%
I'm not sure (40)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (265)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (427)
48.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise