A levels independently

Watch
Anonymous2341
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What’s the cheapest way you can take a levels Independently. I.e through AQA but then is that just for entrance into the exam. Would I have to self teach at home?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Cheapest way is to teach yourself at home using textbooks and online resources and then find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate for the exams. For an A level without any non-examination assessment (NEA - aka coursework), fieldwork or practicals requirements, anything under £200 for the exam fee will be a good deal. If it has any of these it gets a whole lot more difficult to achieve and more expensive.
nmiouio
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Just to expand on this point ive seen a few distance learning resources online the best recommended ones seem to be either up learning, oxford learning academy or the open college. Can anyone recommend any for someone who's looking to take a levels independently without any assistance from a school or sixth form. Looking to do math, physics, economics and biology
Anonymous2341
Rep:
(Original post by nmiouio)
Just to expand on this point ive seen a few distance learning resources online the best recommended ones seem to be either up learning, oxford learning academy or the open college. Can anyone recommend any for someone who's looking to take a levels independently without any assistance from a school or sixth form. Looking to do math, physics, economics and biology.
I guess we’re in the same position. I looked at AQA and the prices for STEM subjects (requires practical which means more funding) & for both AS & A level entry it totalled to £600. That’s pretty good. Go on the AQA or other exam boards websites & see how much it would cost for you to enter on your chosen subjects. Other than that I feel there are more qualified people on here who have the best solution towards your problem.
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous2341)
I guess we’re in the same position. I looked at AQA and the prices for STEM subjects (requires practical which means more funding) & for both AS & A level entry it totalled to £600. That’s pretty good. Go on the AQA or other exam boards websites & see how much it would cost for you to enter on your chosen subjects. Other than that I feel there are more qualified people on here who have the best solution towards your problem.
There's no need to take AS and A level - just take A level. However, the AQA prices you've looked at are the prices the centre pays AQA, the centre will charge you considerably more than that as they will add on their costs for admin, invigilation etc. If it includes taking the assessed practicals then you're looking at closer to £1000 per subject.
Anonymous2341
Rep:
(Original post by Compost)
There's no need to take AS and A level - just take A level. However, the AQA prices you've looked at are the prices the centre pays AQA, the centre will charge you considerably more than that as they will add on their costs for admin, invigilation etc. If it includes taking the assessed practicals then you're looking at closer to £1000 per subject.
I see. What if I was to independently take a level exams through my sixth form. How much would that cost?
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I see. What if I was to independently take a level exams through my sixth form. How much would that cost?
If they're not teaching you the subject then they can charge what they like - or choose not to let you take the subject there at all. That said, if they will let you sit it there it is likely to be cheaper than going elsewhere.
Anonymous2341
Rep:
If they're not teaching you the subject then they can charge what they like - or choose not to let you take the subject there at all. That said, if they will let you sit it there it is likely to be cheaper than going elsewhere.
Thank you, a lot, this has helped. One last question do you think asking to independently take on 4 new a levels would be ridiculous or caused me to get laughed at?
Anonymous2341
Rep:
Cheapest way is to teach yourself at home using textbooks and online resources and then find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to accept you as a private candidate for the exams. For an A level without any non-examination assessment (NEA - aka coursework), fieldwork or practicals requirements, anything under £200 for the exam fee will be a good deal. If it has any of these it gets a whole lot more difficult to achieve and more expensive.
Ok. Thanks, this helped.
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, a lot, this has helped. One last question do you think asking to independently take on 4 new a levels would be ridiculous or caused me to get laughed at?
I'm confused. Are you planning to study 4 extra A levels at the same time as the 3 or 4 you are enrolled to study at 6th form? (And what are the ones you're about to study/already studying/have studied?
Anonymous2341
Rep:
I'm confused. Are you planning to study 4 extra A levels at the same time as the 3 or 4 you are enrolled to study at 6th form? (And what are the ones you're about to study/already studying/have studied?
No I’m planning on dropping all 3 a levels I am doing right now which (they are not science or maths related) then take on the 4 new a levels (maths, f maths, computer science, physics)
Compost
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
No I’m planning on dropping all 3 a levels I am doing right now which (they are not science or maths related) then take on the 4 new a levels (maths, f maths, computer science, physics)
Assuming you're in Year 12, have you asked your 6th from if you can start these A levels in September? AQA Computer Science is not open to private candidates and the practical skills make Physics both difficult and expensive to take as one.
Anonymous2341
Rep:
Assuming you're in Year 12, have you asked your 6th from if you can start these A levels in September? AQA Computer Science is not open to private candidates and the practical skills make Physics both difficult and expensive to take as one.
(I haven’t asked) but hearing that, I guess there’s really no way out for me then. Covid-19 really messed it up for me. It’s looking like the only option now is to get my maths results in year 13. Then change courses and stay for another 2 years in sixth form. Which means leaving when I’m 20. Guess I’ll have to think about this then. Thanks for your help Anyways.
Last edited by Anonymous2341; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.06%
October 2021 (189)
45.99%
November 2021 (42)
10.22%
December 2021 (54)
13.14%
January 2021 (45)
10.95%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.49%