The Student Room Group

Should I drop french?

I don't like it, it's boring. I'm good at languages, I take spanish and french, and get straight 100%s in spanish. I've recently stopped trying as hard in french, I never really liked the language and only chose it because I had a head start on it from being taught by a decent teacher at my old school. I regret taking it, I'm still at the top of my class and am more than capable of getting a grade 9 in it, but I don't enjoy it. I would like to go into a job that requires languages and my problem solving skillset, but french is just draining me. Spanish makes so much more sense and even though I don't struggle with either, I am far more fond of spanish. So should I drop french and continue to ace spanish and secure excellent grades in it, or should I keep at french until GCSE level and then I can drop it and continue with spanish for A Level? Am a bit lost, I usually use the forum to mess around but thought that it would be a nice enough place to ask for help. thanks my dudes
Original post by LYNEOFFICIAL
I don't like it, it's boring. I'm good at languages, I take spanish and french, and get straight 100%s in spanish. I've recently stopped trying as hard in french, I never really liked the language and only chose it because I had a head start on it from being taught by a decent teacher at my old school. I regret taking it, I'm still at the top of my class and am more than capable of getting a grade 9 in it, but I don't enjoy it. I would like to go into a job that requires languages and my problem solving skillset, but french is just draining me. Spanish makes so much more sense and even though I don't struggle with either, I am far more fond of spanish. So should I drop french and continue to ace spanish and secure excellent grades in it, or should I keep at french until GCSE level and then I can drop it and continue with spanish for A Level? Am a bit lost, I usually use the forum to mess around but thought that it would be a nice enough place to ask for help. thanks my dudes

Hello,
Exactly the same position, except I dislike Spanish a little and love French :rofl: I don't think I would drop Spanish though (I don't hate it that much yet).

What year are you in? If you're close to sitting GCSEs then I would advice just to put up with it, it would give you an extra GCSE at a high grade and it would make A level Spanish all the more enjoyable :yep: if you feel like you couldn't bear it though and it would affect Spanish, drop it.

I have this really weird thing with Spanish where at times I enjoy it, and others I absolutely despise it. My grades are good, like yours, but I no longer have French classes so I sometimes think that I hate it because it doesn't allow me to focus on the language I love, idk if it's the same for you but :dontknow:
I honestly don't know where I'm going with Spanish yet, but follow your gut feeling and you'll make the right choice

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Best thing is really to just keep going with it, that way by the time you finish school you'll have a GSCE for both languages rather than one. If you find Spanish more interesting definitely carry on with it at A-Levels. French at A-Level is fun depending on how you're taught but I found first year quite boring compared to second year ngl.
If you're not far from the GCSE and you have the possibility of getting a good grade, I'd still go for it.
It's not that long and you might need it in the future.

I used to hate Spanish and all through my school years, it was really my worst subject.
But when I trained to teach French, they asked me for another language and I was able to offer some Spanish.
It sparked my interest and I went to South America for three months, to teach French :smile:

You never know where it might take you!
Thanks everyone who responded, I've decided to continue with french and take A Level philosophy. Hopefully I get a better teacher next year :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending