The Student Room Group

Ordinarily resident

Hi, I am applying for a Sept 2020 nursing PG degree. I am currently in the UK, but have recently spent just over 4 months in Vietnam and during this time I did CELTA course (giving me TEFL certificate) and taught English for a while.

I didn't realise before leaving that this might affect my status as ordinarily resident in the UK, and I am now worried I might not be eligible for student finance. I did not think it would be an issue since many people go on gap years before their undergraduate degrees.

Please can someone advise me on how to progress from here?
Original post by postgradapp
Hi, I am applying for a Sept 2020 nursing PG degree. I am currently in the UK, but have recently spent just over 4 months in Vietnam and during this time I did CELTA course (giving me TEFL certificate) and taught English for a while.

I didn't realise before leaving that this might affect my status as ordinarily resident in the UK, and I am now worried I might not be eligible for student finance. I did not think it would be an issue since many people go on gap years before their undergraduate degrees.

Please can someone advise me on how to progress from here?

Hi, you will need to put your time in Vietnam in your application when you apply. You may be asked to prove your time in Vietnam was temporary, such as a temporary visa, return flight tickets, proof of ties to the UK, letter from your employer confirming the work was temporary, or any other evidence you have that shows your time in Vietnam was temporary.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, you will need to put your time in Vietnam in your application when you apply. You may be asked to prove your time in Vietnam was temporary, such as a temporary visa, return flight tickets, proof of ties to the UK, letter from your employer confirming the work was temporary, or any other evidence you have that shows your time in Vietnam was temporary.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply. What would count as proof of ties to the UK?
Original post by postgradapp
Hi Isaac, thanks for your reply. What would count as proof of ties to the UK?

For example if you had property in the UK and were still making payments.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending