Query about University Grading/Marking System

Watch
wbanner2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi - I am hoping to start university this year, studying Economics.

I know how the university grading system for 1sts, 2:1s etc. works and that at the Unis I am interested in they consider only the 2nd and 3rd year modules in the final classifications with the weighting 2:3.

However, my question is more about the actual marking of exams. Is a number just plucked out of the air for essay subjects taking into account that 60 is a 2:1 and 70 a 1st? What about Maths - is the 70% for a 1st more like a uniform UMS system than a raw mark as I’d expect some of the exams to be much harder with raw mark means below 50% even when the average grade is a 2:1?

If anyone knows how Economic exams in particular are marked that would be helpful but any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Your university will have been running its courses for long enough to get a good sense of how well students do in exams and different kinds of assessments (essay questions V lab V mathematical modules), what a 1st class peformance "looks like" and will set exams at an appropriate level. That’s a skill, you develop when setting exams. There is usually a backup system in place to look for and iron out major wobbles as well, e.g. a new lecturer comes in, sets an over-hard or too easy paper and everyone fails or gets a 1st according to “standard” grade boundaries. That’s pretty rare, but at my institution a rescaling system cuts in if that happens and shifts marks up or down.
wbanner2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Your university will have been running its courses for long enough to get a good sense of how well students do in exams and different kinds of assessments (essay questions V lab V mathematical modules), what a 1st class peformance "looks like" and will set exams at an appropriate level. That’s a skill, you develop when setting exams. There is usually a backup system in place to look for and iron out major wobbles as well, e.g. a new lecturer comes in, sets an over-hard or too easy paper and everyone fails or gets a 1st according to “standard” grade boundaries. That’s pretty rare, but at my institution a rescaling system cuts in if that happens and shifts marks up or down.
Ah right - so the exams are made with a target mean raw score in, say, the low 60s and they moderate if too high or low. Thanks.

In terms of the style of questions - are Econ (and other subjects) exams solely essays or are there a mixture of shorter and longer questions like at A Level? (I know for the maths and stats module in Econ courses it will be different)

Do unis also publish mark schemes for their own past papers eg the criteria needed to get into the band for a first etc.? Or is there no rigid mark scheme for essays?

Thanks
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by wbanner2001)
In terms of the style of questions - are Econ (and other subjects) exams solely essays or are there a mixture of shorter and longer questions like at A Level? (I know for the maths and stats module in Econ courses it will be different)

Do unis also publish mark schemes for their own past papers eg the criteria needed to get into the band for a first etc.? Or is there no rigid mark scheme for essays?
Sorry, not my subject and the detail of an exam's structure will also depend on the module and individual lecturer's style. Many universities will let students have access to past papers but most don't provide the marking scheme or worked answers to go with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads