Purple_Giraffe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
My application for MSc Data Science didn't go through as my graduate degree wasn't in the field of Computer Science, I, however, have over 66 months of experience as a Software Engineer/Consultant with Accenture, Deloitte and now IBM. My graduate experience did involve programming exposure as a subject or as practical related work for other subjects. I also have experience in R, Python and Tableau, it still didn't help with my application. I have dropped them a mail to reconsider my application I don't have much hope though.

I want to pursue a career in Data Science and so I am seeking for help if any of you guys could provide any suggestions for the below-mentioned courses in terms of employability, sustainability and relevance:
MSc Urban Analytics
MSc Data Analytics for Government

I was considering Msc Data Analytics too but the course structure involved too many theoretical applications of Probability which I am not comfortable with.
Mystique 105
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Same here! Glasgow rejected my application also since my bachelor degree was not computer science related, even though I have relevant work experience as a software developer.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by saish20)
My application for MSc Data Science didn't go through as my graduate degree wasn't in the field of Computer Science, I, however, have over 66 months of experience as a Software Engineer/Consultant with Accenture, Deloitte and now IBM. My graduate experience did involve programming exposure as a subject or as practical related work for other subjects. I also have experience in R, Python and Tableau, it still didn't help with my application. I have dropped them a mail to reconsider my application I don't have much hope though.

I want to pursue a career in Data Science and so I am seeking for help if any of you guys could provide any suggestions for the below-mentioned courses in terms of employability, sustainability and relevance:
MSc Urban Analytics
MSc Data Analytics for Government

I was considering Msc Data Analytics too but the course structure involved too many theoretical applications of Probability which I am not comfortable with.
You are in a perfect position - you must have colleagues in Accenture, Deloitte or IBM who can advise you? What qualifications does your manager have?. Are you focused just on Glasgow or are you willing to consider other universities?
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mystique 105)
Same here! Glasgow rejected my application also since my bachelor degree was not computer science related, even though I have relevant work experience as a software developer.
We seem to be in the same boat here, have you considered the above-mentioned courses?
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
(Original post by mike23mike)
You are in a perfect position - you must have colleagues in Accenture, Deloitte or IBM who can advise you? What qualifications does your manager have?. Are you focused just on Glasgow or are you willing to consider other universities?
My or my manager's profile is nowhere near Data Science, my experience has been in SAP as a developer. I am certified in ‘Python for Data Science’ and ‘Applied Data Science with Python – Level 2’, both of which were issued by IBM. Also, I have completed a Post Graduate Program in Business Analytics and Business Intelligence which was entirely curated around the R language.

I loved this program offered by Glasgow, I knew this was an ambitious university but getting rejected just because of the field of graduation is a real bummer. This is the second reject that I received because of my graduate degree, Queens, Belfast did the same. I am open to other universities too, I have admits from Cardiff, Strathclyde and Sheffield, awaiting Leeds and Bath.

I would really like the opportunity to pursue my masters from Glasgow, and hence I am looking for other courses offering data analytics degree.
Mystique 105
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
@
(Original post by saish20)
We seem to be in the same boat here, have you considered the above-mentioned courses?
Yes, I also got admitted to Strathclyde. But other universities such as bristol and leeds rejected saying their deadline has passed. I am waiting for royal Holloway, city and Surrey now
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
@
Yes, I also got admitted to Strathclyde. But other universities such as bristol and leeds rejected saying their deadline has passed. I am waiting for royal Holloway, city and Surrey now
how long did it take to get a reply from Leeds?
Mystique 105
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
They replied within 4 days saying that since they received the application after deadline they won't be able to consider me for this year.
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
They replied within 4 days saying that since they received the application after deadline they won't be able to consider me for this year.
oh shoot! but the early deadline was for non EU students, I assumed you are either an UK or an EU student
Mystique 105
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Oops , sorry . I am an international student. 😁
Purple_Giraffe
Rep:
?
Oops , sorry . I am an international student. 😁
:cheers:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.29%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.71%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.29%

Watched Threads