Harrisn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
By not going to a Russell group will it affect my employment opportunities and could it hinder my chances of getting a higher salary if I go to a non russell group.
My situation is that I've got an offer from Uni of Liverpool and Manchester met, I know Liverpool is a better uni but I think I will have a much better time at Manchester given its diversity and vibrant city.
If I could receive some help it would be much appreciated. Thank you Harris
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a proportion of TSR which has an obsession with Russel Group universities, university rankings and attending the highest ranking university you can get an offer from.
Having said that... I achieved a 2:1 from University of Chester. My brother, on the other hand, achieved a 1st from University of Warwick. My brother definitely did not have any advantage over me when it came to job hunting - he struggled just as much as I did to find employment.
Go to whichever one you prefer. If you prefer MMU as a university and Manchester as a city over Liverpool, go to MMU.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
would you rather get a 2.1 from a non RG uni or a 2.2 from a RG uni ?
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Russell Groups do not really matter so much. Its does not make them any more better than non russell groups. Some of them are further down the 'rankings' than none russell groups.

Go by the department and what it has to offer and the modules they have. If you feel you can get more value out of a non RG over a RG, then go for the non RG.
AM.TSR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which course are you hoping to study?
Harrisn
Rep:
?
I’m going to be studying Accounting and Finance, I originally wanted to go to Uni of Manchester but it was my GCSE maths grade that prevented me from receiving an offer. After these replies I feel better since everyone in my college were obsessed with russell groups.. Would it be better if I went to a non Russell then tried to get a post grad at a Russell group?
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My daughter is going to Lancaster, a non russell group for physics, but its in the top ten and has a fantastic physics dept and great job opportunities, so russell groups are not that important.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
would you rather get a 2.1 from a non RG uni or a 2.2 from a RG uni ?
That’s not how it works. What if at the Russel group university he’s pushed and more motivated to study and get a better grade? You can’t predict university grades and compare them.
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's important to go somewhere where you'll be happy. If you're not happy, chances are you won't do as well anyway. So my advice would be to go to the non-RG if you feel you'd be happier there!
yeetouttawindow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It it was me I'd go to the better quality university on the basis its not guaranteed you'd have a good time at either university
AM.TSR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harrisn)
I’m going to be studying Accounting and Finance, I originally wanted to go to Uni of Manchester but it was my GCSE maths grade that prevented me from receiving an offer. After these replies I feel better since everyone in my college were obsessed with russell groups.. Would it be better if I went to a non Russell then tried to get a post grad at a Russell group?
I don't think it matters, especially for accountancy. There are plenty of good universities which aren't in the Russell Group such as St Andrews, Lancaster, Loughborough and Bath.
Harrisn
Rep:
?
(Original post by AM.TSR)
I don't think it matters, especially for accountancy. There are plenty of good universities which aren't in the Russell Group such as St Andrews, Lancaster, Loughborough and Bath.
Yeah its okay saying that but they are way ahead of MMU in the league tables..
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes
AM.TSR
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Harrisn)
Yeah its okay saying that but they are way ahead of MMU in the league tables..
Just go to a university where you think you'll perform best. As long as you get a 2:1 in your degree, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AM.TSR)
Very true but OP is comparing Liverpool with MMU ...
V1ct0r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Liverpool is considered more prestigious but MMU isn't a bad uni either. How important is the university for your subject? If it's not important, choose the university that offers the modules you want to do. If it's important, chose Liverpool.
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you click HERE you will see there are other ways of banding unis: ancients, red bricks, plate glass and other. You will pay the same fees so avoid unis in the 'other' category.

RG unis get nearly 70% of the research grants so have the best labs and equipment - not so relevant for you since you are studying accountancy. However, as RG unis have more cash, their libraries and IT infrastructure tend to be better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (189)
38.57%
Take autumn exams (150)
30.61%
Look for a job (17)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.29%
Take a year out (85)
17.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.71%

Watched Threads