The Student Room Group

A level folders

Hey! Please can any A Level students give me some advice...
So i’m in year 11, going into year 12 in September.
I have bought 3 large lever arch files and one 40mm ring binder. My original plan was to keep the lever arch files at home and use the ring binder as a “day folder”.
However, now I’m wondering if this will be the most efficient way. Now I’m thinking of getting plastic ring binders 25mm (one per teacher for the subjects I’m doing).
Also, will three lever arch files be enough? Or should I get two per subject. I’m taking English lit, history and psychology.
Thanks.
Yes that method was perfect for me and never had a problem in two years. I originally bought 3 large ring-binder folders (one for each of my subjects) for filing A4 notes in plus other worksheets etc. I ended up having 9 once I finished (3 for each subject!) as I used to write all my notes up and elaborate on them. I had a smaller A4 folder as my 'day-folder', with plastic wallets inside so I could seperate my work out per subject. I would also clip my pad of A4 lined paper in there and kept a seperate wallet of work I wanted to do in my free periods. Definitely the best way in terms of organisation, but you just have to remember to put every sheet you need in the day-folder the night before!

I saw other people used to carry the huge ring-binders around with them, and very quickly those folders got battered around and a few of my friends lost their notes from them - it just seemed more a nightmare. I didn't mind so much if my day-folder got battered as they can be easily replaced and are much cheaper than the ring-binders. Hope that helps:smile:
I did that at the start and found it useless for me as the ring binder annoyed me and I didnt use it (it might not for you). For those subject, it's better to take it into school with you as you will need it in lessons (when you are asked to bring it) but just because you can use it when you revise independently. However, if you dont need to bring it as much, one day folder is enough - maybe use file dividers for each subject instead of sepeate binders. I suggest sticking with 3 lever arch files for now and increase during the year when you need to. For history, I needed two at the start - one for Germany and one for tutors but I had to get two folders for tutors as Henry VII was a big one.
Original post by erin2004
I have bought 3 large lever arch files and one 40mm ring binder. My original plan was to keep the lever arch files at home and use the ring binder as a “day folder”.
However, now I’m wondering if this will be the most efficient way. Now I’m thinking of getting plastic ring binders 25mm (one per teacher for the subjects I’m doing).
Also, will three lever arch files be enough? Or should I get two per subject. I’m taking English lit, history and psychology.
Thanks.

Hey @erin2004!

I think it depends on if you will be needing to refer back to previous work you have done during lesson times or in your free periods. Of this is going to be the case you may find sometimes it’s best to bring in the big folders with all your notes in.

On other days you could plan what you’re going to do in your frees and put this into the smaller folder the night before and just take that to school with the notes you need for the lessons!

I’d start with one folder for each subject and you can always buy another if needed later :smile:

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thanks.

I more or less did the same thing (although you will find you need more than 3 lever arch files at home). If I were you I would take a lever arch into school instead, divided into subjects and then teachers.
Reply 5
Thanks.

Hi! ive started using a method similar, but what I do is in the ring binder I keep plastic wallets, and in each one I have all the notes for whatever topic I'm working on at the moment, so if i need to revise or find notes I've made previously they're all in one place, and once the topic is finished, i just put the plastic wallet into the specific folder at home. also i wouldn't worry about getting more folders immediately - you may as well get one per subject for now to keep at home then get more when you fill up the first one!

Quick Reply

Latest