The Student Room Group

Year 10 mocks

I’m in year 9 going into year 10 and I’m curious on how many marks I need to do the higher paper,I’m currently set 3 for science doing foundation and I would like to know how many marks I would need in the mocks to get onto the higher paper.Also I’ve been seeing posts saying Yr11 mocks only matter,is this true?
As a year 10 i would honestly love to help you out.
But I can't because CORONA FRICKING CANCELLED EVERYTHING INCLUDING MY MOCKS.

Sorry for this useless post but I'm bored so meh.
But from what my teachers told me before the pandemic - they decide tiers based on yr 11 mocks.
It depends on your teachers. Getting a 5 consistently would be your best bet. Yr 11 mocks matter in what sense?
Original post by Rehan1717
I’m in year 9 going into year 10 and I’m curious on how many marks I need to do the higher paper,I’m currently set 3 for science doing foundation and I would like to know how many marks I would need in the mocks to get onto the higher paper.Also I’ve been seeing posts saying Yr11 mocks only matter,is this true?

It would be very unusual for a teacher to be certain that you’re a foundation student in year 9. I would talk to your teacher & have a go at higher paper questions and if you score well, show your teacher you can do it. I wouldn’t say there’s a certain amount of marks you need to get on the foundation paper because the questions don’t go above a grade 5 on that paper, so definitely have a go at higher paper questions. If you find that you really struggle with the higher paper in year 10 and 11, it’s probably going to benefit you more being on the foundation paper as the questions are easier to understand and you’ll probably find it easier to get a grade 4/5 on that paper than you would for the higher paper. If you’re desperate to do higher and you know you can do it with evidence, definitely speak to/email your teacher about it :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by archivalzebra
It would be very unusual for a teacher to be certain that you’re a foundation student in year 9. I would talk to your teacher & have a go at higher paper questions and if you score well, show your teacher you can do it. I wouldn’t say there’s a certain amount of marks you need to get on the foundation paper because the questions don’t go above a grade 5 on that paper, so definitely have a go at higher paper questions. If you find that you really struggle with the higher paper in year 10 and 11, it’s probably going to benefit you more being on the foundation paper as the questions are easier to understand and you’ll probably find it easier to get a grade 4/5 on that paper than you would for the higher paper. If you’re desperate to do higher and you know you can do it with evidence, definitely speak to/email your teacher about it :smile:

Ive emailed her about it and she goes she’s not sure as we only did the chemistry test which I got 47/53 on.But do higher and foundation cover the same topics?
Reply 5
Original post by PetitePanda
It depends on your teachers. Getting a 5 consistently would be your best bet. Yr 11 mocks matter in what sense?

I’ve heard that year 11 mocks tell your teachers wether you do foundation or higher?But as they are only 2-3 months before GCSE,will I have time to revise because I’ve heard the higher paper covers different topics?
Reply 6

Tysm for the information, but my teachers are always talking about our year 10 mocks and how much they matter as they show if your confident with foundation or higher,but I’ve heard foundation and higher cover different topics?
That’s a really good score! Foundation and Higher cover the same topics, except higher will have an extension onto some topics with concepts that are a little harder to understand. If you give her enough evidence that suggests you can do higher, I don’t see why you wouldn’t do that paper. :smile: Also, everyone usually starts with higher (except for bottom sets), so that if they end up doing foundation, they can just forget all of the extra higher info they learnt
(edited 3 years ago)
I’ve heard that year 11 mocks tell your teachers wether you do foundation or higher?But as they are only 2-3 months before GCSE,will I have time to revise because I’ve heard the higher paper covers different topics?

Not really - it can happen in any case but you need to have a talk with your teacher if you can move because they will unlikely move you unless they think you can and I only saw that happening like very few times and it was very late into the year so its better to persuade them earlier. Wdym 2-3 months? You have so much time to revise if you aren't in yr 10.
Reply 9
Original post by PetitePanda
Not really - it can happen in any case but you need to have a talk with your teacher if you can move because they will unlikely move you unless they think you can and I only saw that happening like very few times and it was very late into the year so its better to persuade them earlier. Wdym 2-3 months? You have so much time to revise if you aren't in yr 10.

I was thinking about it they grade us by year 11 mocks,and as I’m doing foundation right now won’t I have to learn all the higher tier in a short span of time?
Reply 10
That’s a really good score! Foundation and Higher cover the same topics, except higher will have an extension onto some topics with concepts that are a little harder to understand. If you give her enough evidence that suggests you can do higher, I don’t see why you wouldn’t do that paper. :smile: Also, everyone usually starts with higher (except for bottom sets), so that if they end up doing foundation, they can just forget all of the extra higher info they learnt

So they have the same topics but more extensive and complex questions?
So they have the same topics but more extensive and complex questions?

Yes, exactly! What they also tend to do on higher is bring multiple parts of the spec into one question & the first 2/3 questions on the higher paper are the last 2/3 questions on the foundation paper. Some questions on the higher paper will be on the extra content you learn in higher though.

Quick Reply

Latest