i'm really behind now in A levels

Watch
certman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
i haven't really done much work, at all over the past few weeks. i started off really strong and dropped off, and now i have about 1/3 of each of my subjects incomplete. i'm so far behind and, although i'm getting a move on now, i just have no motivation to work for long periods of time??

i don't want to disappoint my teachers. lot of stress rn.

just wanted to vent 🙄

999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by certman)
i haven't really done much work, at all over the past few weeks. i started off really strong and dropped off, and now i have about 1/3 of each of my subjects incomplete. i'm so far behind and, although i'm getting a move on now, i just have no motivation to work for long periods of time??

just wanted to vent 🙄
Is this just year 12 work or you are sitting Exams in the Autumn?

Just make a plan and do consistent amounts each day.
If its Y12 no need to worry as loads of time to catch up.
If its exams, then you still have quite a bit of time but you need to start to move quickly.
aubindes bois
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

just wanted to vent 🙄

Hi certman,

I believe you have 3 key issues:

Issue 1: too much regret are holding you back
Issue 2: You lack patience
Issue 3: You lack energy

Issue 1: Too much regret are holding you back
You have accumulated too much resentment, guilt, and regret over yourself. Moreover, you are ruminating in the past.
This combines holding you back a lot and it is taken place behind the scene.
You need to let go of self-criticism quickly.
For that there are two effective methods:

Technique 1:Replace Guilt with Self-Compassion
Step 1: Say " I apologize for missing so much opportunity to work"
Step 2: mentally review each previous time you planned to work and didn't. Agree it was a mistake

Technique 2: Restart doing SPort intensively.
I mean at least 3 times a week. running & workout.
It will have 2 quick impacts.
first, it will reduce your negative emotions drastically
Secondly, It will reset and trigger your inner self again so you can easily activate tapping into the available energy you are not using.
I greatly recommend you do it first thing in the day if you want to make sure your day will be productive.

Issue: You lack patience
Behind perfectionism, there is a fear of rejection. The rejection can be due to fear of failure that also involves judgment from other people. We want our output to be of a high standard to make sure others will appreciate us. It isn’t wrong to have a high standard, but it becomes a massive problem if it holds you back from getting started.
In your case, you are concerned about what your teachers will say about your performances. Your attention always remains on "how much work remains incomplete " instead of " what is the next step". It suffices to increase your worries which in turn prevents you from concentrating.

Technique 1: Accept the possibility you are going to fail (do it as soon as your inner voice produce worries)
The principle is simple. You repeat out loud that you are going to fail, and you mention accurately why you think you will be perceived as stupid
Now that you have accepted the consequences of failure as a possibility, Fear and Shame become powerless temporarily.
This will remove a massive burden off your shoulders in less than 5 min. ANd it will allow you to concentrate now.

The process goes like this:
Step 1: Build a scenario that makes you feel ashamed, insecure about the future
Step 2: Build the sentence "I accept that ... (scenario)"
Step 2: repeat this sentence at least 23 times up to 50 times if necessary.
The more you are accurate about the reason why you think you will project a bad image, the more this method is effective.
Example:
“I accept that I will be perceived as an imposter because I don’t have any. XXXX
I accept I would be criticized by YYYYYY because I lack ZZZZZ

Technique 2: Listen to this audiobook consistently : "The power of Now"
At a deeper level, impatience comes from Ego. The desire to be liked.
IN order to have all your attention available now, just listening to this podcast will serve as a reminder. A lot of "Ahha moments will pop up and bring clarity about how you perceive things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya-4mqYnCp8 (Eckhart Tolle)
You will stop being concerned by "tomorrow" an try your best to make today enjoyable. This helps to diminish procrastination and stay consistent on a day to day basis. Make today Counts.

Issue 3: You lack energy
Part of your lack of "motivation" is being not enough energized to have the spark necessary. That's why even when you know what to do, you can still struggle to start.

Technique 1: Increase your energy level quickly
Per order level of difficulties
a- Cook and eat fresh vegetables starting today for at least 3 days. You will feel much more energized after day 2.
b- Call a friend or a family or an ex-girlfriend /boyfriend you haven't meet for a long time and have a long chat (You will see the result the next day)
C- take a cold shower (you will see the impact within the 3 hours)
D- go running. (You will see the result the next day)

Courage. Don't back down. You won't disappoint your teachers. But start by not disappointed yourself first.
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

just wanted to vent 🙄
What is your primary revision method?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (60)
19.23%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (65)
20.83%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (58)
18.59%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (67)
21.47%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (31)
9.94%
I haven't started researching yet (31)
9.94%

Watched Threads