The Student Room Group

Registration for ACA? Help!

In 2017, I had recieved a criminal conviction for Drink Driving DR10 and also a conviction for driving without third party insurance IN10.

After years of many sad moments knowing I wont be able to get on any graduate scheme for the time being. I have come to a point where I need to atleast try and move forward. So I have decided to register as a private candidate on the ICAEW website to do my ACA (certificate level) exams myself. Only thing is ,there is a section where I will have to disclose my convictions.

I was just wondering what are the chances ICAEW allowing me to become registered and take on 'self study' exams??????
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Thames tutu
In 2017, I had recieved a criminal conviction for Drink Driving DR10 and also a conviction for driving without third party insurance IN10.

After years of many sad moments knowing I wont be able to get on any graduate scheme for the time being. I have come to a point where I need to atleast try and move forward. So I have decided to self register as a private candidate on the ICAEW website to do exams myself. Only thing is ,there is a section where I will have to disclose my convictions.

I was just wondering what are the chances ICAEW allowing me to become registered and take on 'self study' exams??????

Why ICAEW? Its not very self study friendly as you need to join a recognised training provider as an employee to gain the experience required to pass.

I would contact the institutes to see what they say about joining.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Why ICAEW? Its not very self study friendly as you need to join a recognised training provider as an employee to gain the experience required to pass.

I would contact the institutes to see what they say about joining.

I am planning to just do certificate level ACA. And hope to gain a training contract after to complete the whole qualification.

But yh thanks anyways.
Reply 3
I am planning to just do certificate level ACA. And hope to gain a training contract after to complete the whole qualification.

But yh thanks anyways.

Ok - I get that. When does your conviction become spent? My concern is that you might find that you are blocked from big accounting firm training contracts (you need to check this) whereas lots of jobs in business wouldn't necessarily check convictions, and would be more understanding anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Ok - I get that. When does your conviction become spent? My concern is that you might find that you are blocked from big accounting firm training contracts (you need to check this) whereas lots of jobs in business wouldn't necessarily check convictions, and would be more understanding anyway.

Yh well it gets spent in 5 years, so 2022. Yh I do understand that. Well if that is the case I probably just have to see it through until it is spent.
Reply 5
Yh well it gets spent in 5 years, so 2022. Yh I do understand that. Well if that is the case I probably just have to see it through until it is spent.

I've had a bit of a google and think you may have better options than that (depending on the full circumstances of the convictions, and how old you were when convicted etc. Not an area I have any expertise in but will try to write some notes this evening.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
I've had a bit of a google and think you may have better options than that (depending on the full circumstances of the convictions, and how old you were when convicted etc. Not an area I have any expertise in but will try to write some notes this evening.

Ahh mate. Thanks alot, appreciate that.

I am 25 now, i was 22 when it happened. It was basically a night out and I was driving back my friend home. It was a stupid act, I know. But been dealing with the consequences for the past few years in terms of finding jobs and confidence being low.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey, I am currently studying ACA with a 'big 4'

To echo an earlier comment, I would seriously consider ACCA instead. It is, as others have said, it is better for self study. Once qualified, you can work at big 4 (though I don't know about how convictions work). My manager at my firm is ACCA qualified, albeit from another country.

I'm not sure having certificate level ACA would help you into a big 4. They generally just start people on their programs with no experience, or hire you after qualifying. After year 1 in my firm you'd have usually done 3 certificate level and 3 professional level exams. The other 3 certificate are taken in year 2. So you'd be out of kilter with 2nd year grads. Additionally you'd have to do 450 days of work experience over the 3 years to qualify, which may not fit into two years. I'm not sure many firms would be interested in a part qualified ACA. I believe there are also time limits, so you could find your exam passes 'expire' before you get enough work experience.

Do a little job search and you'll see plenty of vacancies for part qualified ACCA, but rarely for ACA. I feel this would be much less risky. You could waste a fortune and a bunch of time doing ACA certificate. With ACCA you could do a few exams to show a bit of experience, and then apply for a part qualified job (again, not sure of restrictions regarding convictions).
Reply 8
Ahh mate. Thanks alot, appreciate that.

I am 25 now, i was 22 when it happened. It was basically a night out and I was driving back my friend home. It was a stupid act, I know. But been dealing with the consequences for the past few years in terms of finding jobs and confidence being low.

Hey, sorry to hear. What have you been doing for the last three years? Are you in a job now?

I'm trying to do some research but not coming up with a whole lot of firm facts. I guess you've had the same problem? Will write what I find when I'm at a straight edge. I do have some ideas but they may not fully fit with your career aspirations.
Reply 9
Original post by ajj2000
Hey, sorry to hear. What have you been doing for the last three years? Are you in a job now?

I'm trying to do some research but not coming up with a whole lot of firm facts. I guess you've had the same problem? Will write what I find when I'm at a straight edge. I do have some ideas but they may not fully fit with your career aspirations.

Well I have been working, yes.

Ok cheers for your help.
Hi, I am in a similiar case at the moment did you find an accounting job after or did you not. I still have a year left and will need to apply so did you find any jobs related to the sector?

After years of many sad moments knowing I wont be able to get on any graduate scheme for the time being. I have come to a point where I need to atleast try and move forward. So I have decided to register as a private candidate on the ICAEW website to do my ACA (certificate level) exams myself. Only thing is ,there is a section where I will have to disclose my convictions.

Hi,

I have the DR10 right now and I still have a year left of university. I just wanted to know did you find any accounting based jobs afterwards or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending