The Student Room Group

Uni rankings

CUG rankings came out for 2021 today. They use 5 methodologies and was wondering which ones I should pay the most attention to and whether rankings are important. The 5 methodologies are entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality, research intensity, and graduate prospects. Some unis suffer due to low research quality and intensity. However, is this important for an undergraduate when looking where to go? Surely entry standards, student satisfaction and grad prospects are the ones to look for. One of my uni choices have fallen because of this to 38th for my course, which looks bad (I always wanted to go to at least a top 30 uni). Are rankings even accurate or credible anyway as they change so much every year?
(edited 3 years ago)
I’m applying to unis that are ranked very differently. I’m planning on applying to the number one uni and well as number 40. Ranking is a factor for me but location and course is also important. I’d rather be happy and motivated and get a 1st in a uni rated 20-40 then a 2:2 in a “better” one and be miserable. If you love the course at the one ranked 38 go for it.
Original post by etienne26
CUG rankings came out for 2021 today. They use 5 methodologies and was wondering which ones I should pay the most attention to and whether rankings are important. The 5 methodologies are entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality, research intensity, and graduate prospects. Some unis suffer due to low research quality and intensity. However, is this important for an undergraduate when looking where to go? Surely entry standards, student satisfaction and grad prospects are the ones to look for. One of my uni choices have fallen because of this to 38th for my course, which looks bad (I always wanted to go to at least a top 30 uni). Are rankings even accurate or credible anyway as they change so much every year?

I would pick what is important to you and do your own independent research on factors which are important to YOU!

Speak to universities and students about their opinions on academics and academic standard
If you care about job prospects perhaps look at the high-fliers guide or other
You can look at TEF for some perspective on teaching quality
REF power rank will give you an overview of research (it combines quantity & quality)

Personally im not a fan of league tables at all, I think the methodology is fairly arbitrary, and the data collected representative value is even more questionable. They do an excellent job generating ad revenue and selling newspapers and students can easily be hooked to them, but their true value is less clear imo.
Original post by etienne26

You should pay attention to the ones that matter to you most whether that be student satisfaction or entry standards or whatever. Low research quality isn't that important to undergrads apart from the fact that research attracts top academics and funding which making the uni richer.

Uni ranking doesn't matter for every subject anyway - it doesn't tend to matter for healthcare courses, for example. I find that tables like the CUG do have some value but you should pick your uni based on lots of factors, not just league tables.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending