The Student Room Group

What's the difference?

What's the difference between a dental hygienist/therapist and a dentist?
A good question and one which you can read more about here:

https://www.gdc-uk.org/information-standards-guidance/standards-and-guidance/scope-of-practice

As a dentist working in a dental school and in dental practice, working within a multi-disciplinary team has been very valuable. There are some treatments that i don't carry out any longer because a therapist can do the same. I'm a qualified orthodontist now and we have orthodontic therapists who are fantastic.

Hope that helps and let me know if i can be of anymore help

best wishes

Nik
Reply 2
Original post by nikthedentist
A good question and one which you can read more about here:

https://www.gdc-uk.org/information-standards-guidance/standards-and-guidance/scope-of-practice

As a dentist working in a dental school and in dental practice, working within a multi-disciplinary team has been very valuable. There are some treatments that i don't carry out any longer because a therapist can do the same. I'm a qualified orthodontist now and we have orthodontic therapists who are fantastic.

Hope that helps and let me know if i can be of anymore help

best wishes

Nik

Could I go into orthodontics with the dental hygiene and therapy qualification it's just that there's no where in my area that does a degree in just dentistry
you have to be flexible and be prepared to move.
if you want to be an orthodontist you have to have done dentistry first for 5 years and then orthodontics is a 3 year programme.
Reply 4
Original post by nikthedentist
you have to be flexible and be prepared to move.
if you want to be an orthodontist you have to have done dentistry first for 5 years and then orthodontics is a 3 year programme.

Would I not be able to become a dentist with the dental hygienist/therapist degree?Are there no courses that can be used in addition to it?
nothing is impossible but it's pretty rare. you have to network with hygienists and therapists and ask them directly.
you will still have to have good grades to enter hygiene/therapy work - i respect their work and it's not easy. not sure what you mean by additional courses.
best of luck

Quick Reply

Latest