The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth Uni

i am looking at studying international tourism and hospitality management and was wondering what the uni is like. if anyone goes here or knows anything about the uni, can you leave a reply?

what is the uni like?
hows the accommodation?
& any other info that i should know

Original post by Sophie7703
i am looking at studying international tourism and hospitality management and was wondering what the uni is like. if anyone goes here or knows anything about the uni, can you leave a reply?

what is the uni like?
hows the accommodation?
& any other info that i should know

Hi @Sophie7703,

I am currently a 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. Despite being a smaller town there is plenty of things to do in the town and on the doorstep. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel. There are many societies and sports clubs, definitely something for everyone.

The town is well known for being a very safe place to live and has a very friendly atmosphere attracts many students here, including myself. Although Aberystwyth is a small town the nightlife is great, there a lot of pubs as well as cocktail bars and two clubs. It is very reasonably priced, especially when compared to a lot of the cities. There are lots of cafes and shops, as well as several supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, M&S and Iceland) that are all very accessible. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area as well with Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep and Birmingham, Cardiff and Shrewsbury are very accessible for a day trip.

There is a range of accommodation options managed by Aberystwyth University. The University guarantees accommodation to all new first year students who hold Aberystwyth as their Firm Choice and who apply for accommodation before 1st August. The majority of University owned accommodation is only a short walk away from the campus and there is a range of accommodation to suit all budgets, styles (shared flat/ensuite/studio), meal options and length of licences. You can compare the University options here. I have found that the accommodation in Aberystwyth is a lot more affordable than other universities.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions😊
Rebecca
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
Original post by Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Hi @Sophie7703,

I am currently a 2nd year student at Aberystwyth University and I am really enjoying my time here. Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. Despite being a smaller town there is plenty of things to do in the town and on the doorstep. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel. There are many societies and sports clubs, definitely something for everyone.

The town is well known for being a very safe place to live and has a very friendly atmosphere attracts many students here, including myself. Although Aberystwyth is a small town the nightlife is great, there a lot of pubs as well as cocktail bars and two clubs. It is very reasonably priced, especially when compared to a lot of the cities. There are lots of cafes and shops, as well as several supermarkets (Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, M&S and Iceland) that are all very accessible. There is plenty to do in the surrounding area as well with Snowdonia National Park on the doorstep and Birmingham, Cardiff and Shrewsbury are very accessible for a day trip.

There is a range of accommodation options managed by Aberystwyth University. The University guarantees accommodation to all new first year students who hold Aberystwyth as their Firm Choice and who apply for accommodation before 1st August. The majority of University owned accommodation is only a short walk away from the campus and there is a range of accommodation to suit all budgets, styles (shared flat/ensuite/studio), meal options and length of licences. You can compare the University options here. I have found that the accommodation in Aberystwyth is a lot more affordable than other universities.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions😊
Rebecca

thank you that is so helpful!
Reply 3
I visited Aber - my nephew studied there and loved it. Its remoteness is the big attraction for lots of students as it leads to people who want to be part of a community. From what I could see private rental accommodation is way cheaper than most places for your 2nd and 3rd year - the students I spoke with all liked that they could get decent house shares and decent prices compared with their friends elsewhere. A lot seem to stay for the summer tourist season to work and enjoy the beach.
Original post by ajj2000
I visited Aber - my nephew studied there and loved it. Its remoteness is the big attraction for lots of students as it leads to people who want to be part of a community. From what I could see private rental accommodation is way cheaper than most places for your 2nd and 3rd year - the students I spoke with all liked that they could get decent house shares and decent prices compared with their friends elsewhere. A lot seem to stay for the summer tourist season to work and enjoy the beach.

Im assuming it is a very popular uni for welsh people being so remote? I am English and would love to go and meet new people, I am just worried that people may see me as an 'outsider' because it is such a remote uni? I know it sounds silly but do you know?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Im assuming it is a very popular uni for welsh people being so remote? I am English and would love to go and meet new people, I am just worried that people may see me as an 'outsider' because it is such a remote uni? I know it sounds silly but do you know?

I think Welsh people also find it pretty hard to get to - the public transport links from anywhere other than the Birmingham line are a bit limited. I got the impression that there are loads of English and EU students there. @Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador may be able to provide figures to show the rough proportions.
Original post by ajj2000
I think Welsh people also find it pretty hard to get to - the public transport links from anywhere other than the Birmingham line are a bit limited. I got the impression that there are loads of English and EU students there. @Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador may be able to provide figures to show the rough proportions.

thank u :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

I am from South West England and have never been made to feel like an outsider, the university attracts a wide range of students from all over the UK and Europe, in addition to many international students.

Megabus/National express operate to and from Aberystwyth to a couple of different locations, in addition to the train line. I have never really struggled to get anywhere, once you get to Birmingham/Shrewsbury there are many onward connections.

Traws Cymru bus service currently offer free weekend travel making it easy to travel, this directly connects to many places in Wales including Cardiff, Bangor and Haverfordwest etc. More information can be found here.

Personally, I have found it easier and cheaper to get around compared to where I am from!
I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions.

Rebecca 😊
Hi,

I am from South West England and have never been made to feel like an outsider, the university attracts a wide range of students from all over the UK and Europe, in addition to many international students.

Megabus/National express operate to and from Aberystwyth to a couple of different locations, in addition to the train line. I have never really struggled to get anywhere, once you get to Birmingham/Shrewsbury there are many onward connections.

Traws Cymru bus service currently offer free weekend travel making it easy to travel, this directly connects to many places in Wales including Cardiff, Bangor and Haverfordwest etc. More information can be found here.

Personally, I have found it easier and cheaper to get around compared to where I am from!

Rebecca 😊

I am from South West England too! Which accommodation did you stay in at Aber? :smile:
Reply 9
Hi,

Rebecca 😊

what is the best accommodation at Aber?
Original post by Sophie7703
what is the best accommodation at Aber?

Hi @Sophie7703,

I lived in University accommodation during my first year at Aberystwyth in Pentre Jane Morgan. It was great to be so close to campus in my first year, in addition to receiving free membership to the sports centre for living in University accommodation (also meant I could get up 15 minutes before a lecture and still make it in time)!

The majority of University owned accommodation is only a short walk away from the campus and there is a range of accommodation to suit all budgets, styles (shared flat/ensuite/studio), meal options and length of licences. You can compare the University options here..

You can also do a virtual tour of all the University accommodation options here.

I now live in private accommodation in town off campus, but living in University accommodation in the first year is a great way to meet other first year students and get used to University life.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions 😊

Rebecca

Quick Reply

Latest