Can I be a solicitor that works short hours?

Watch
m-k1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is there such thing as working at a well-paid, city law firm and only having to work ordinary hours, like 9-6 for example? Or would long nights and early starts be common?

Also, if I wanted to work part-time as a solicitor, is that possible or would I have to simply move jobs?
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by m-k1)
Is there such thing as working at a well-paid, city law firm and only having to work ordinary hours, like 9-6 for example? Or would long nights and early starts be common?

Also, if I wanted to work part-time as a solicitor, is that possible or would I have to simply move jobs?
You are more likely to achieve this in a comfortably consistent way (ie not ie being promised X Y and Z and you get screwed) by getting into the Government Legal Department imo. About 20% of their lawyers work part-time/job share. They tend to work normal office hours at 37 per week. Competitive getting in though (although probably no shock to you)

They're currently recruiting 50 lawyers for London - I suggest having a look at their job vacancy currently on civilservicejobs so you have an idea what they look for
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vexper)
You are more likely to achieve this in a comfortably consistent way (ie not ie being promised X Y and Z and you get screwed) by getting into the Government Legal Department imo. About 20% of their lawyers work part-time/job share. They tend to work normal office hours at 37 per week. Competitive getting in though (although probably no shock to you)

They're currently recruiting 50 lawyers for London - I suggest having a look at their job vacancy currently on civilservicejobs so you have an idea what they look for
Thank you I’ll for sure have a look!
The West Wing
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To work a regular 9-6 job? I think it is somewhat more likely at a very senior level if you have indispensable expertise - directors / consultants but overall very rare. I only really know about the city but I don't think at a junior end you can work a 'regular hours' solicitor job in a private practice role.
m-k1
Rep:
?
(Original post by The West Wing)
To work a regular 9-6 job? I think it is somewhat more likely at a very senior level if you have indispensable expertise - directors / consultants but overall very rare. I only really know about the city but I don't think at a junior end you can work a 'regular hours' solicitor job in a private practice role.
Oh
Varis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends on how you define "well paid", the short answer is yes if you have a very wide definition of it.
lawcalling
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by m-k1)

(Original post by Varis)
Depends on how you define "well paid", the short answer is yes if you have a very wide definition of it.
Agree with Varis here. Legal Cheek publishes firm’s average starting and leaving times annually (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.l...s-2019-20/amp/) which may be of interest to you. I’m not sure how accurate it is, so take it with a pinch of salt, but it roughly shows that you could work within the 9-6 hours you’re aiming for. Obviously with this comes less pay. As V mentioned, it largely depends on your interpretation of ‘well-paid’. For instance, drawing on some of the firms with better hours in London, Irwin Mitchell NQ salary is £41,000, Michelmores is £63,000 and BLM is £45,000.
Last edited by lawcalling; 3 weeks ago
Varis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lawcalling)
Agree with Varis here. Legal Cheek publishes firm’s average starting and leaving times annually (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.l...s-2019-20/amp/) which may be of interest to you. I’m not sure how accurate it is, so take it with a pinch of salt, but it roughly shows that you could work within the 9-6 hours you’re aiming for. Obviously with this comes less pay. As V mentioned, it largely depends on your interpretation of ‘well-paid’. For instance, drawing on some of the firms with better hours in London, Irwin Mitchell NQ salary is £41,000, Michelmores is £63,000 and BLM is £45,000.
I wish this was accurate (especially right now!)
s.goodka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From what I have heard there are certain practice areas in City firms which can have more regular hours like that. E.g. I have frequently heard that those in Insurance work more of a 9-6.
m-k1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by s.goodka)
From what I have heard there are certain practice areas in City firms which can have more regular hours like that. E.g. I have frequently heard that those in Insurance work more of a 9-6.
Really? That sounds great! I’ve always heard that all solicitors in large firms work long tedious hours
Russ3684
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It really depends. I was a paralegal at shoosmiths and generally did 9.30-6/6.30 on average but I have pulled some late nights (until 9/10pm) on occasion to get urgent tasks done. I work for the cps now and have a 37 hour week which I usually go over a little to get tasks done but there is a trainee who is part time. Once qualified it’s a little different as we have to contribute to an overtime out of hours Rota.it also depends what you mean by well paid and how flexible you are in that regards. The Clifford chance level of pay and part time hours are a no chance. A national firm or civil service may be a better option but of course, the salaries aren’t as high.
m-k1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Russ3684)
It really depends. I was a paralegal at shoosmiths and generally did 9.30-6/6.30 on average but I have pulled some late nights (until 9/10pm) on occasion to get urgent tasks done. I work for the cps now and have a 37 hour week which I usually go over a little to get tasks done but there is a trainee who is part time. Once qualified it’s a little different as we have to contribute to an overtime out of hours Rota.it also depends what you mean by well paid and how flexible you are in that regards. The Clifford chance level of pay and part time hours are a no chance. A national firm or civil service may be a better option but of course, the salaries aren’t as high.
How often would you have to work late?

And thank you, I’m so conflicted but I’ll have a look into other career options!
thornston
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Im a Trainee in a regional North East firm with around 50 lawyers and 6 offices. We are expected to do the 9-5 but more when needed. I typically get to the office at 8:15-8;25 and leave around 5:30, with sometimes a few hours work on the weekends. A lot of fellow trainee 'watch the clock' and do the standard 9-5. Im hoping in the end it pays off but i still earn the same as them with more work.

You get out what put in - don't expect an easy 9-5 and a good salary straight off the bat. The general consensus is if you work hard then you'll get paid accordingly, get promotions quicker, may want to look at bigger firms in the area etc
Russ3684
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by m-k1)
How often would you have to work late?

And thank you, I’m so conflicted but I’ll have a look into other career options!
I’ve only done that a handful of times, probably about 5 or so in 16 months. You’re not expected there to be in your seat for the sake of it. It depends what work you’re doing and if something needs to be finished.
s.goodka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by m-k1)
Really? That sounds great! I’ve always heard that all solicitors in large firms work long tedious hours
No it definitely varies between practice area. As a rule though for large city firms you are right. The one I had heard that about Insurance practice was at RPC, a mid-sized city firm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
9.02%
Confident (32)
12.03%
Indifferent (46)
17.29%
Unsure (69)
25.94%
Worried (95)
35.71%

Watched Threads