The Student Room Group

Is STEP a good indicator for performance on a Maths degree

I’m confident I’ll get A*s in Maths and FM respectively but I’m not that great at STEP. Hoping to study at Warwick in December.
Reply 1
Original post by Red8746
I’m confident I’ll get A*s in Maths and FM respectively but I’m not that great at STEP. Hoping to study at Warwick in December.

There are lots of types of mathematical thinking that don't look like STEP questions, so I don't think you should be concerned. Also how long have you been trying STEP? It takes practice and will seem tough initially.
Reply 2
I would say about a month or so with a couple of questions every other day. I haven’t done many papers so far and only started looking at Stephen Siklos’s book but got disheartened after trying and getting the first two questions wrong. I don’t need STEP for my offer so I haven’t been prepping for it like everyone else. I just heard that it’d be good uni prep, so I thought I’d take a look.
Original post by Red8746
I would say about a month or so with a couple of questions every other day. I haven’t done many papers so far and only started looking at Stephen Siklos’s book but got disheartened after trying and getting the first two questions wrong. I don’t need STEP for my offer so I haven’t been prepping for it like everyone else. I just heard that it’d be good uni prep, so I thought I’d take a look.

No. Given you don't need to take it, don't take it seriously, always fun to do though. If you want to do some uni pre go and find some introductory real analysis or linear algebra texts, they'll be far more useful for uni prep than STEP papers.
Reply 4
Original post by Red8746

It's not bad uni prep, but pure maths at uni doesn't look much like STEP, however the technical fluency it teaches would help on the applied side, and generally tackling questions that you get stuck with and have to break down are helpful for uni.
What are you using to prep for Uni? I’m hopefully starting a maths degree in september at Birmingham! I’ve heard a lot of people say STEP is a good way to get used to uni type of questions so i think i might start looking through it
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by d0nkey_dude
What are you using to prep for Uni? I’m hopefully starting a maths degree in september at Birmingham! I’ve heard a lot of people say STEP is a good way to get used to uni type of questions so i think i might start looking through it

If you would like to start understanding what maths is like at uni, I would recommend looking at the three main modules you'll learn at any uni in first year. These are Analysis I, Linear Algebra I and Calculus I. I recommend typing these in and finding notes on these because lots of unis put their notes online (e.g. just type in Analysis I notes and you'll find Cambridge, Bristol notes on it). Read the first chapter on these notes as these help with the big jump from school to uni maths (not a big jump in difficulty but it helps understand the different way you have to think)

Quick Reply

Latest