The Student Room Group

Loan

Hi,
I hope you could help answer my question.
I go accepted to University of Brighton to a Paramedic Science degree starting in September 2020.
I am a mature student, self employed, from the EU but living in the UK for over 5 years.
I already have one degree (BA) in Arts studied in London about 10 years ago where I have taken a tuition fee loan out to pay.
Am I eligible for any funding? Tuition Fee loan? Maintenance Loan? Learning Support Fund? Ambulance Service Trust fund? Anything at all?
And if so where do I find more information about it?
I would really appreciate it if you could explain it to me, as I've contacted many people and in result I feel even more confused now.
I really hope you can help.
Thank you for your time,
Zofia
Original post by z.chm
Hi,
I hope you could help answer my question.
I go accepted to University of Brighton to a Paramedic Science degree starting in September 2020.
I am a mature student, self employed, from the EU but living in the UK for over 5 years.
I already have one degree (BA) in Arts studied in London about 10 years ago where I have taken a tuition fee loan out to pay.
Am I eligible for any funding? Tuition Fee loan? Maintenance Loan? Learning Support Fund? Ambulance Service Trust fund? Anything at all?
And if so where do I find more information about it?
I would really appreciate it if you could explain it to me, as I've contacted many people and in result I feel even more confused now.
I really hope you can help.
Thank you for your time,
Zofia

Hi Zofia, will you be receiving support from the Ambulance Service Trust?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Hi Isaac,How do I know if I will be receiving support from Ambulance Service Trust/ how could I apply for it? I’m struggling to find any info about it online. Is that the same thing as Learning Support Fund from the NHS? Or is that two different things?Thanks so much for a quick reply!Zofia
Original post by z.chm
Hi Isaac,How do I know if I will be receiving support from Ambulance Service Trust/ how could I apply for it? I’m struggling to find any info about it online. Is that the same thing as Learning Support Fund from the NHS? Or is that two different things?Thanks so much for a quick reply!Zofia

You can speak to your university to query that. Paramedicine is an Allied Health Professional course but it's not an exception course like other AHP courses unless you are receiving support from the Ambulance Service Trust.

If you don't receive support from the AST and you already hold a qualification then you won't be eligible for any funding from SFE. However students studying paramedicine are now allowed to apply for the new NHS Grant and you can find out more about that information here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-support-fund/new-student-funding - we can't advise on eligibility for this grant as it's from the NHS not from SFE but as far as I'm aware you could receive a minimum of £5,000 non repayable grant from the NHS.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
You can speak to your university to query that. Paramedicine is an Allied Health Professional course but it's not an exception course like other AHP courses unless you are receiving support from the Ambulance Service Trust.

If you don't receive support from the AST and you already hold a qualification then you won't be eligible for any funding from SFE. However students studying paramedicine are now allowed to apply for the new NHS Grant and you can find out more about that information here https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-support-fund/new-student-funding - we can't advise on eligibility for this grant as it's from the NHS not from SFE but as far as I'm aware you could receive a minimum of £5,000 non repayable grant from the NHS.
Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,
Thanks for that.
It looks like if I'm not eligible for SFE I am not eligible for the NHS Grant.
Is the support from AST being given personally to a student (does one apply for it individually) or is it given to a university directly and they cover a part of student fees? Im sorry to bother you with that but I can't find any information about it online, I would appreciate it if you could explain that to me or point me in the right direction where I can find more information. ( I will obviously contact my university about it as well, but I'm worried that they will tell me I can't get any support - as they did before and I want to do everything I can to find funding for that course.)
Thanks so much for your help.
Zofia
Original post by z.chm
Hi Isaac,
Thanks for that.
It looks like if I'm not eligible for SFE I am not eligible for the NHS Grant.
Is the support from AST being given personally to a student (does one apply for it individually) or is it given to a university directly and they cover a part of student fees? Im sorry to bother you with that but I can't find any information about it online, I would appreciate it if you could explain that to me or point me in the right direction where I can find more information. ( I will obviously contact my university about it as well, but I'm worried that they will tell me I can't get any support - as they did before and I want to do everything I can to find funding for that course.)
Thanks so much for your help.
Zofia

Did the NHS state you won't be eligible for the grant if your not eligible for SFE funding? As it's two different products so you might be able to get it.
The AST funding is similar to an NHS bursary so the AST would pay your fees and then you could apply for a basic reduced rate loan from SFE. Your university will know if their course attracts AST funding and be able to provide more information on this.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 6
Yes. One of the requirements for getting the NHS Grant is to be eligible for SFE loan. So I won't be able to get that.
Thank you so much for your help. If there is anywhere else you could think of that I could search for any support to cover my tuition fees please let me know!:smile: I will contact the university to find out about AST.
Thanks so much!
Zofia
Original post by z.chm
Yes. One of the requirements for getting the NHS Grant is to be eligible for SFE loan. So I won't be able to get that.
Thank you so much for your help. If there is anywhere else you could think of that I could search for any support to cover my tuition fees please let me know!:smile: I will contact the university to find out about AST.
Thanks so much!
Zofia

You're welcome :smile: - We are not able to advise on third party loans or funding. You could post on a different section and other students who have been in your situation might be able to advise on their experiences.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest