The Student Room Group

I don't know which university to choose.

I'm from London deciding whether to go to Nottingham or Southampton. While Nottingham is ranked higher overall as a university for my specific course Southampton seems to be ranked higher. Although I can't decide

Southampton is closer to home so it would be less money spent on travel.

Although I feel like Nottingham may have a better nightlife and feel to it I was watching a video on a university student's experience how in Southampton after 10 or 11 pm the city pretty much dies and I don't know why, but I just didn't like the sound of it.

Very hard decision to make and I'm running out of time. Any personal thoughts about each of the universities?
What course are you applying to? Which university offers the version of the course you prefer? What are the differences between the course as offered at each university?
I personally think Nottingham. It has a very good reputation, the city is vibrant with great nightlife, lovely restaurants and nice people.
However, I think Southhampton is perfectly fine and I don't have a bad word to say about it...just not a good one either.

It depends what you prioritise in a university. To be fair, both universities are well reputed, just because Southampton is better for your coures doesn't mean that Nottingham wouldn't look equally good.
But yeah, what do you want from university? What's your ideal university life and I'll try to help you.
Hi,

Have you been able to visit the universities? If not see if they do a virtual tour or open day. Then my advice would be which university do you have a gut feeling about, which one can you see yourself at in a few years time.

Whilst I understand your concerns re nightlife, you need to be able to enjoy your course, this is the main drive for going to university in the first place. So I would recommend looking at the modules each university has to offer, which do you like the sound of more, are there any differences in terms of course delivery? Any opportunities for placements, and if so what sort of placements do they offer?

I would try hard to not make your decision based on money, I know this is an important factor but there's lots of financial support available from Student Finance England, for example, the maintenance loan.

Good luck with your choice and let me know if you have any more questions,

Ellen :smile:
Student Ambassador
Reply 4
I'm applying for Business Management or Management at Nottingham. I haven't been to either place, unfortunately, but I have watched a couple of youtube videos of people touring around the areas etc. I tried to check the percentage of examinations to coursework for both courses, but Nottingham said that they don’t have an overall percentage of the breakdown for coursework and examinations. In terms of modules, they seem similar, however, Nottingham has a larger amount of options for the optional modules which can be a good thing and a bad thing.

I've been to Nottingham, but just not the university and the place seemed nice. However, I don't know much about Southampton so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending