?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
any thoughts about america lifestyle
castra
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
not a big fan of the country in general. but it all comes down to preference.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Its a huge place - Alabama is very different to California which is very different to Maine.

Much higher average wage, lower taxes, very high health insurance costs. Very big and that is reflected in travel times, including time to get to supermarket etc if you're out of city. Also means it has vast swathes of barely touched beauty. If you're rural have to be careful of things like rattlesnakes, bears, rabies. Very racist in deep south - many people are quite open about it. Very very religious in the same areas - asking what church you go to is a normal smalltalk question.

Under different personal circumstances I would definitely consider living there, mainly because of natural beauty combined with higher wages. I probably wouldn't if I wasn't white though!
Last edited by nexttime; 2 weeks ago
yellowbuttercup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Depends which state you live in I think as they all have different state laws and some states will be more democratic/republican than others.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by username2005)
any thoughts about america lifestyle
It is worth going to America as a tourist to spend nice weeks for a while. But living there? no, it doesn't.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yeah, it's awesome. I live in the rural South and the cost of living is very low.
We've entered watermelon season so I can get 2 stone seedless watermelons for $3. Makes up for the cockroaches.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
God no. The fact that the police can blow up your house, kill your family members, and significantly damage your property without taking any liability and without you getting any recompense should be evidence enough the country is a mess.

I also quite like workers rights, and being able to walk to the shops. Having vaguely functioning public transport is also nice. Their education system is also a mess designed to rip as much money out of you as possible. Half of all adult Americans have defaulted on medical debt. I don't think the NHS is perfect, but I like knowing that breaking my leg isn't going to result in me declaring bankruptcy.

I also like the fact that our Bojo (even though I don't like him) hasn't declared war on an ideology, and hasn't used powers to tear gas people legally using their right to free association and free speech in a designated place for this.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Very very religious in the same areas - asking what church you go to is a normal smalltalk question.
Haha yeah this is very true. The secretary where I work is a very "Southern woman". She told me I'm going to hell because I don't go to church and haven't been rebaptised as an adult (despite me being a Catholic); keeps trying to get me to come to her church with her.
screweverything
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I think America passed its peak and it's going downhill from here.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by vicvic38)
Half of all adult Americans have defaulted on medical debt. I don't think the NHS is perfect, but I like knowing that breaking my leg isn't going to result in me declaring bankruptcy.
If you're gonna bash something, at least try to get your stats right. "32% of American workers have medical debt—and over half have defaulted on it." Not half of all adults. And tbh, I'd rather be bankrupt than dead. **** the NHS.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
No the USA is not a good country to live in IMO (along with England...).
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
If you're gonna bash something, at least try to get your stats right. "32% of American workers have medical debt—and over half have defaulted on it." Not half of all adults. And tbh, I'd rather be bankrupt than dead. **** the NHS.
WOW thats SOOOO MUCH BETTER.

Police can still legally blow up your house, or tear gas the entire inside. Breonna Taylor was legally MURDERED by police because they were looking for people they'd ALREADY CAUGHT. Her boyfriend has been charged for defending himself after his girlfriend was murdered in cold blood next to him.

Keep defending your shitshow of a country pal.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
No the USA is not a good country to live in IMO (along with England...).
I'd much rather be here than there honestly lol. Although my dream existence is not an English one (no matter how fond I am of this country.)
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I'd much rather be here than there honestly lol. Although my dream existence is not an English one (no matter how fond I am of this country.)
I'd rather live in England as opposed to the USA too but still the UK is still messed up lol.
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
I'd rather live in England as opposed to the USA too but still the UK is still messed up lol.
PRSOM.

Where'd you rather be then?

I'd love to live in a little cottage in Ireland, away from society. (Dual citizenship ftw)
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
WOW thats SOOOO MUCH BETTER.

Police can still legally blow up your house, or tear gas the entire inside. Breonna Taylor was legally MURDERED by police because they were looking for people they'd ALREADY CAUGHT. Her boyfriend has been charged for defending himself after his girlfriend was murdered in cold blood next to him.

Keep defending your shitshow of a country pal.
Changes have been made and the FBI are investigating so hardly as clear-cut as you're making out. But then reading your other post it seems you know nothing about the US so this error isn't surprising either.

Enjoy dying through NHS incompetence and lack of funds.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
PRSOM.

Where'd you rather be then?

I'd love to live in a little cottage in Ireland, away from society. (Dual citizenship ftw)
France, Spain, Scandinavia etc
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Changes have been made and the FBI are investigating so hardly as clear-cut as you're making out. But then reading your other post it seems you know nothing about the US so this error isn't surprising either.

Enjoy dying through NHS incompetence and lack of funds.
THE
POLICE
CAN
BLOW
UP
YOUR
HOUSE
WITHOUT
PENALTY

How is the US a good place to live?
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
THE
POLICE
CAN
BLOW
UP
YOUR
HOUSE
WITHOUT
PENALTY

How is the US a good place to live?
THE
FBI
ARE
INVESTIGATING

Sure, the US has problems, like all countries, but I'd still prefer to be bankrupt than dead Mr. NHS. I have lived for many years in the UK as well as 3 vastly different states here in the US. I've worked in both countries. I've traveled around both. I've used the public transport that you claim doesn't exist. And I know which is the better place to live. USA USA USA!!!
vicvic38
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
THE
FBI
ARE
INVESTIGATING

Sure, the US has problems, like all countries, but I'd still prefer to be bankrupt than dead Mr. NHS. I have lived for many years in the UK as well as 3 vastly different states here in the US. I've worked in both countries. I've traveled around both. I've used the public transport that you claim doesn't exist. And I know which is the better place to live. USA USA USA!!!
Oh I don't think so. This case has been ruled on and the family has been told to sit an spin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (46)
20.35%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (51)
22.57%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (43)
19.03%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (46)
20.35%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (22)
9.73%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
7.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed