The Student Room Group

Advice please!

Ok so my predictions for highers based on my nat five estimates are AAAAB. However, even though I did get an A in my nat five English prelim, it was around just under 75% and I’m terrible at RUAE (got 18/30) and 7 marks came from quotes. That means for higher I’d likely get around 12/30 and I don’t think I’ll get a B, I’m thinking I’ll get a C but I don’t want a C. Thinking about it more I don’t even want a B since all the other subjects are at an A and I want an A in Higher English too, but it seems impossible! Any advice on how to improve RUAE? (Hint:don’t reply saying read books because I hate reading anything lol).
(edited 3 years ago)
I wouldn't worry about it, at the start of higher you are likely to not pass anything as it is a big step up, but honestly you will do so much practice that you will start to see the type of questions and how to answer them. Look on twitter on #N5HRUAE as some schools post articles there that are relevant to the type of stuff you will see in the exam, so every so often just look at that tag and read like an article
Original post by Valeriex
I wouldn't worry about it, at the start of higher you are likely to not pass anything as it is a big step up, but honestly you will do so much practice that you will start to see the type of questions and how to answer them. Look on twitter on #N5HRUAE as some schools post articles there that are relevant to the type of stuff you will see in the exam, so every so often just look at that tag and read like an article

Thanks!
Reply 3
If I may point out, it does not bode well to read you do not like reading. RUAE is focused on the depth and scope of a students ability to read demanding texts
You imply that what is holding you back is your skill in RUAE. I suspect your weakness is far wider that RUAE.
The best book I have read on Higher English is the latest edition of Scholar's "Higher English." It is an on-hands practical course focused on all the skills required to excel in Higher English. It can be purchased from Scholar website.
Original post by jamesg2
If I may point out, it does not bode well to read you do not like reading. RUAE is focused on the depth and scope of a students ability to read demanding texts
You imply that what is holding you back is your skill in RUAE. I suspect your weakness is far wider that RUAE.
The best book I have read on Higher English is the latest edition of Scholar's "Higher English." It is an on-hands practical course focused on all the skills required to excel in Higher English. It can be purchased from Scholar website.

Thanks for the advice I’ll sure to check the book out. Also my weakness only comes in with RUAE since in my National five English prelim in the poetry I got 19/20. Then we did a critical essay and I got 17/20, both are very great scores. I only got 18/30 in RUAE so it is really weak but hopefully the book works!
lots of people in my school (high school in top 10 Scottish high schools) struggled with the jump between national 5 English and higher English - its normal, don't worry too much

one thing that helped me personally was constant repetition of doing RUAE papers as questions do get pretty repetitive and there isn't much they can really asked. I wrote answers in bullet points to make sure I fin shed the paper in time and memorized the layout of answers to own words/sentence structure/use of language/link/compare the two articles questions
Would definitely agree it's really normal to struggle with the jump from Nat 5 to Higher...Because of how the course is, usually schools give you a prelim that contains all 3 components (RUAE, Scottish text & critical essay), whereas in other subjects you often just have the first 2 units you've studied, or similar. This means that while in other subjects, you might have a more in depth knowledge of ~2/3rds of the course, in English, you have a broader knowledge of all the course, but it's not as in depth...Not sure I've worded that well, but the result is often that people don't do great in the prelim, but then spend time in the lead up to the final exam getting that depth of knowledge (including the key bit of being able to apply it to answer the Qs well) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending