Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really like History of art, reading and classics. I find this fascinating and wondered what degrees may cover such interests ?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I really like History of art, reading and classics. I find this fascinating and wondered what degrees may cover such interests ?
History of Art and Classics, perhaps?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Joint honours degrees might be the way forward if you want to study more than one subject. For example, Exeter's BA Art History & Visual Culture and Classical Studies or Newcastle's Combined Honours degree.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly most history of art courses will include classical art (as well as the many receptions and reiterations of it over the years), and involve a lot of reading, so that may perfectly suit you!

If you wanted to do more work on the classical languages in a course that is visually oriented perhaps, then a course in classical archaeology and ancient history/classical civilisation may appeal, as usually you may (sometimes have to) do some language work, and "classical archaeology" as a discipline includes ancient art history.

Alternately some classics degrees have such a wide range of options to allow you to do work in classical archaeology/art, along with the language (and usually literature) work involved in a classics degree (Oxford and UCL, notably). They may also allow you to study some aspects of ancient critical theory e.g. Aristotle and Plato on art and aesthetics. These degrees will have less work in modern art, and reception type work tends to be focused more on literature, however. It would be a perfectly suitable background to go on to do a masters in history of art though.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (153)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.75%
Look for a job (14)
3.5%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.25%
Take a year out (68)
17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.25%

Watched Threads