HappyRabbit16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
With my school I am going to be doing Spanish and German as A Levels as well as English Literature. I am a big fan of languages and was wondering how possible it would be the self teach french a level and take the exams alongside my other subjects. I want to do a degree in French and another language at university which I know I could do with the two languages I am doing at school but it would give me more options at uni if I were to do french and mean I could start the degree from a higher level. I know French up to slightly below GCSE standard but have time to bring up that level slightly before my A Levels begin. Any advice is much appreciated.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HappyRabbit16)
With my school I am going to be doing Spanish and German as A Levels as well as English Literature. I am a big fan of languages and was wondering how possible it would be the self teach french a level and take the exams alongside my other subjects. I want to do a degree in French and another language at university which I know I could do with the two languages I am doing at school but it would give me more options at uni if I were to do french and mean I could start the degree from a higher level. I know French up to slightly below GCSE standard but have time to bring up that level slightly before my A Levels begin. Any advice is much appreciated.
It's unusual to be able to do French ab initio, so if you wanted to do a French degree it would be easier to have done A level. However, A levels take a lot of time as it is so I don't think you should count on having time to do French alongside... as someone who also loves languages and is hopefully going to start a French and German degree next year, and who is self-teaching Russian (or trying!) I'm always impressed with anyone who wants to learn languages, it's just important not to overwork yourself as well . Perhaps see how good you get in lockdown, and go from there.
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by HappyRabbit16)
If you're really passionate about it why don't you pick it as a fourth a level- or is it not possible at your school? Or alternatively you could get yourself a tutor (only if you're willing to spend a bit)

edit: or take it for a year and then you could drop it before yr 13 so then you won't overload yourself but you will have learnt quite a bit!
Last edited by macy_m; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads