pixiepoo27
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I'm wanting to do undergraduate course with OU this October hopefully.
I'm big into psychology, crime.
Which course would you recommend that mostly involves psychology with crime a why they do it and about mental disorders. Psychology and Criminology seem best be?
Last edited by pixiepoo27; 4 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
I'd read through their descriptions because every uni offers slightly different courses.

For Psychology, you usually start out with the basics - so biology of the brain, statistics, etc. and only then you learn about things like social and developmental psychology. Crime and mental disorders is usually only a very small part of psychology and is dealt with in later years.

For Criminology, it's obviously all about crime. If you're into crime, this course is probably better suited. It focuses on Sociology, Psychology and Law - so the society of crime and why people commit crimes, etc.
pixiepoo27
Rep:
?
thank you. well with OU this is both together. psychology a Criminology.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pixiepoo27)
thank you. well with OU this is both together. psychology a Criminology.
Oh yea sorry, I thought you were trying to choose between psychology and criminology.
If it's both, then that's definitely the best degree for you
pixiepoo27
Rep:
?
thank you.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by pixiepoo27)
So I'm wanting to do undergraduate course with OU this October hopefully.
I'm big into psychology, crime.
Which course would you recommend that mostly involves psychology with crime a why they do it and about mental disorders. Psychology and Criminology seem best be?
If you want to work in psychology in the future, for example forensic psychology, you ideally need a BPS accredited undergraduate degree, which im not sure this one is, so also consider that.

I did Psychology with Counselling, which is BPS accredited and that had one forensic psychology module, which was good.

If you do want to go into a career in psychology, it is worth thinking about this. Without BPS accreditation, you will need to do a conversion MSc after.
pixiepoo27
Rep:
?
thank you. i just really wanted to do Criminology
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nerol)
If you want to work in psychology in the future, for example forensic psychology, you ideally need a BPS accredited undergraduate degree, which im not sure this one is, so also consider that.

I did Psychology with Counselling, which is BPS accredited and that had one forensic psychology module, which was good.

If you do want to go into a career in psychology, it is worth thinking about this. Without BPS accreditation, you will need to do a conversion MSc after.
I’m wanting to study psychology with criminology which is bps accredited and thinking of becoming some kind of psychologist. If I would be able to with that degree? I’ve been looking at the criteria for those jobs on the nhs website and they say you need a psychology honours degree but I didn’t know if it had to just be psychology on its own or as long as it’s bps accredited it’s fine. I just wondered if you knew
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The OU psychology with criminology is Not accredited.
However for jobs that say psychology accredited degree then the forensic psychology and the psychology with counselling (that are both accredited) would normally be fine.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
My course is bps accredited it depends on the uni
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ah okay, the OP was talking about the open university and in the open university thread so I was clarifying that the OU psychology with criminology is Not accredited.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m wanting to study psychology with criminology which is bps accredited and thinking of becoming some kind of psychologist. If I would be able to with that degree? I’ve been looking at the criteria for those jobs on the nhs website and they say you need a psychology honours degree but I didn’t know if it had to just be psychology on its own or as long as it’s bps accredited it’s fine. I just wondered if you knew
If it's BPS accredited, you're fine. For example, I did Psychology and Counselling, which was accredited. You can continue on to study as a psychologist after.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nerol)
If it's BPS accredited, you're fine. For example, I did Psychology and Counselling, which was accredited. You can continue on to study as a psychologist after.
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads