Grammar School vs State School for sixthform

Watch
Anxka_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,
I am currently in a difficult position, as I have been going to state school (Woodbridge High School) since year 7 (I am now in year 11 and am going into year 12) and I have been offered a position in an all girls grammar school for sixth form (Woodford County High School). My grades are above avg. but they aren’t excellent. I have heard a lot of things about grammar schools, like you have to do a lot of self learning. I am scared that as I am coming from a state school I would already be behind and also because I am not very good at learning things myself, I wouldn’t be able to keep up the speed at which we would learn in a grammar school.

Also, due to COVID-19 I haven’t actually had the opportunity to go and see the school or meet the teachers so I don’t know how comfortable the environment will be. The school only takes 50 new applicants for 6th form, so most people would’ve been there since yr 7 so I don’t know how likely I am to make new friends.

WCHS (the grammar school) has had significantly better results than my current school (WHS), but I am comfortable with my teachers at my current school as well as the people that are there.

I think I would be really helpful to hear the perspectives of people who have made a similar shift (from state to grammar) or people who go to grammar schools on the environment around the school and the learning.

I am struggling to decide if I should stay where I am (in my comfort zone) or take the risk.
glowing_starfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey I’m in yr 11 too - I’ve gone state for primary n then grammar from 7-11 n now I’m continuing at the sixth form from the same school - I can’t tell you what to do but I can tell you that it is not all that scary. You won’t feel behind at all, in fact everyone will feel a similar thing cause ur all basically starting a new school in a way-ugm? A level will be totally different to gcse - so I’ve been told. Don’t worry you will make friends . Like you said this school has the grades you want - it’s your choice if you want to go after them. Hope this helped
Anxka_x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ahh it was really helpful thank you. Do you go to a same sex grammar school? And also is there a lot of academic pressure, like a need to do really well?
glowing_starfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anxka_x)
Ahh it was really helpful thank you. Do you go to a same sex grammar school? And also is there a lot of academic pressure, like a need to do really well?
Np -No mixed - there is pressure but it’s not gonna make you go crazy however this is sixth form we’re talking about so idk. I’m guessing that there will be a need to do rly well but U’ll be encouraged by the idea of ppl around u doing well so u naturally do. Apparently teachers in sixth form do go out of their way for their students- well that’s mine but I think it’ll be the same for you.
dj_ad_1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Like above i have been going to a grammer skl since yr 7 all the way to sixth form. From experience i'd say its not really hard to adjust to a grammar skl like the first few weeks would be hard but dw theres gonna be ppl in the same shoes as u and some ppl who didnt go grammar skl from yr7-11 actually do better than the ppl who went. Honestly sixth form is all about effort. The more effort u put in the better ur grades will be. The only difference is that grammar skl students usually understand the content quicker. Good luck hope this helps.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There must be a reason why you applied to the GS. Do you feel that you could do better with a little bit more focus/competition/pressure?
My daughter went to a grammar and they did expect a lot from the girls but that is why people went there - and why they got the great grades. I would expect all 6th formers to be putting in some self learning effort - that is what brings out the best in you. Also, if you are planning on uni, it is a good time to take some steps down that road as uni will not be spoon feeding you.
Side note - grammars are state schools too, they are just selective state schools.
evelinafad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey,I'm in the same position as you. I live right by Woodbridge but I went to Ilford Ursuline from y7-y11. I got an offer for Woodford and decided to accept it because it was closer and I kinda wanted a change and it is a way better school in terms of learning and grades compared to my current school. I was quite worried about starting though especially because the induction days and tasters got cancelled so didn't get to meet teachers, see the school and make friends with other external students before September. But loads of people will be in our shoes (min 50 extrernals) and I mean if you applied, there must be a reason for that so if you think the school will be much better for you education wise, I'd say go for it and then you deal with the rest when you join e.g like friends, settling in, getting comfortable with the teachers and school. Also I think the attitude of the students would be much better at a grammar school because at my school now, many people got excluded and weren't too serious about learning so being in the environment of a grammar school which will have more people wanting to learn and work together, will be good for me personally

I mean if you really really hate it for whatever reason, you could always go back to your school within the first week but I think you should try it and then if you are uncomfortable in it, defo leave because a levels are important so you need to be settled and comfortable. But I don't think you should just put it off because you are "uncomfortable" in starting at a new school (which is a very scary experience for all) without actually experiencing it, If ygm.

I also have some people I know of there who I asked questions about the school too like the teaching. They said the teaching is pretty good and the school is calm but of course you have to see for yourself. I'd say not to kick it until you try it. As long as you still have Woodbridge as your backup, then there's no harm in trying woodford Also Woodford has a lot of links for like educational trips, events and extra curriculars which could help you with future career and applying for uni etc in terms of experience and an advantage against others.
Personally for me, I have a solid friend group and relationship with my teachers in my old school but I wanted that change and to be put into the grammar environment if I had the grades to get an offer (also because it will only take me 10 mins to get to school, compared to 1 hour at my current school).

Also I don't think you will feel behind. The entry requirements for Woodford sixth form aren't extremely high like all 8s and 9s anyway so I think it will be a more challenging school which can be good, but not extreme like you have to get all A*s because the entry only requires like 6-7 grades and up. For you to get an offer means you are more than capable of being in that school

EXAMPLE
my sister was made to apply to Woodford by my dad and when she got there, she didn't really like the vibe. She knew the school was good and had no problem with the school, but she had been going to Trinity which was a mixed, more diverse school and so she didn't feel like she fit in at Woodford. So she decided to stay at Trinity but told me not to go there because she said Trinity isnt a very good school. I mean she works hard and she still got very good grades that she needed to go to LSE but she knew that her school was a bit "unserious" in comparison to Woodford County, so it depends on you.

I waffled but hope that helps this is what helped me decide to accept the offer and try it so hopefully it helps you make whichever decision is right for you

Take a look at this thread for more opinions https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5457594
Last edited by evelinafad; 3 weeks ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A Grammar school is a state school - each one is different - why not try it and see?
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My sister went to one of the top grammar schools in the country for a levels before she went to a state school it didn't do her any good. She got 10A*'s and 1A at GCSE and only ABB in a level. The pressure got to her and the environment was super toxic, I think it broke her to be honest and a lot of the teaching was very poor as the only reason the school was one of the top in the country is because of the people they accepted not the teaching. There was very little support with studies and mental health. It is better to be a big fish in a little pond to be honest it is a lot better for your self-esteem and it is a more motivating environment than one where it feels like despite getting above average grades you never feel good enough. People can say what they want regarding this e.g. high pressure environments are good but I don't think so. I think people do better in encouraging and supportive environments.
HighFlyingSkies
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
My sister went to one of the top grammar schools in the country for a levels before she went to a state school it didn't do her any good. She got 10A*'s and 1A at GCSE and only ABB in a level. The pressure got to her and the environment was super toxic, I think it broke her to be honest and a lot of the teaching was very poor as the only reason the school was one of the top in the country is because of the people they accepted not the teaching. There was very little support with studies and mental health. It is better to be a big fish in a little pond to be honest it is a lot better for your self-esteem and it is a more motivating environment than one where it feels like despite getting above average grades you never feel good enough. People can say what they want regarding this e.g. high pressure environments are good but I don't think so. I think people do better in encouraging and supportive environments.
THIS!

It also depends, do you know anyone at the new school? A lot of the students may already know each other, so that would just add to the pressure and you may feel lonely if you feel like you don't fit in. A Levels are already difficult, I wouldn't add to the pressure. Definitely ask if you could just come in to see what lessons are like for a day or something if you can. I moved schools for A Level and hated it, then I ended up moving back to my old school where I was more comfortable and did quite well. A Levels are very important, so go wherever makes you feel happy and comfortable.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SuperFly)
THIS!

It also depends, do you know anyone at the new school? A lot of the students may already know each other, so that would just add to the pressure and you may feel lonely if you feel like you don't fit in. A Levels are already difficult, I wouldn't add to the pressure. Definitely ask if you could just come in to see what lessons are like for a day or something if you can. I moved schools for A Level and hated it, then I ended up moving back to my old school where I was more comfortable and did quite well. A Levels are very important, so go wherever makes you feel happy and comfortable.
She didn't know anyone initially, the school was one were spreading nasty rumours about others sas the norm. Also if she shared with the other girls that she was finding it hard they wouldn't be very supportive instead they would say something along the lines of if you don't like this school you can leave stop complaining. So the environment was not supportive at all as when you share you she struggling the response would have Been empathetic.
minniebrownies
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
I am currently in a difficult position, as I have been going to state school (Woodbridge High School) since year 7 (I am now in year 11 and am going into year 12) and I have been offered a position in an all girls grammar school for sixth form (Woodford County High School). My grades are above avg. but they aren’t excellent. I have heard a lot of things about grammar schools, like you have to do a lot of self learning. I am scared that as I am coming from a state school I would already be behind and also because I am not very good at learning things myself, I wouldn’t be able to keep up the speed at which we would learn in a grammar school.

Also, due to COVID-19 I haven’t actually had the opportunity to go and see the school or meet the teachers so I don’t know how comfortable the environment will be. The school only takes 50 new applicants for 6th form, so most people would’ve been there since yr 7 so I don’t know how likely I am to make new friends.

WCHS (the grammar school) has had significantly better results than my current school (WHS), but I am comfortable with my teachers at my current school as well as the people that are there.

I think I would be really helpful to hear the perspectives of people who have made a similar shift (from state to grammar) or people who go to grammar schools on the environment around the school and the learning.

I am struggling to decide if I should stay where I am (in my comfort zone) or take the risk.
I think I should’ve started a new thread but it involves Woodford so 🤷🏽*♀️...

I’m in year 11 too and I’ve been accepted into Woodford and Brampton Manor.
I’ve always wanted to get into a grammar school.
Most of my classmates from my current state school want to go to Brampton because of the number of oxbridge places.

Both the schools are pretty much the same distance away but they seem like completely different worlds to me.

Any thoughts?
Amara 1420033
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by minniebrownies)

Most of my classmates from my current state school want to go to Brampton because of the number of oxbridge places.

Both the schools are pretty much the same distance away but they seem like completely different worlds to me.

Any thoughts?
I also got a place at Woodford and Brampton, I think I’m going to go to Woodford though because I didn’t really like the vibe of Brampton.
I was quite impressed by the oxbridge places but then I realised I didn’t want to go to oxbridge and I had no other reason why I’d want to go to Brampton.
I guess it depends on what subjects you’re taking as well
minniebrownies
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Amara 1420033)
I also got a place at Woodford and Brampton, I think I’m going to go to Woodford though because I didn’t really like the vibe of Brampton.
I was quite impressed by the oxbridge places but then I realised I didn’t want to go to oxbridge and I had no other reason why I’d want to go to Brampton.
I guess it depends on what subjects you’re taking as well
I’m still not certain but Woodford seems like the right choice for me.
I want to take biology, chemistry, physics and maths.
I just want to get into medicine and I do care about where I’m going but I feel like Brampton only focusses on getting as many people into Oxbridge.
Baddiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by minniebrownies)

Any thoughts?
what grades did you get to be accepted into Brampton? i'm hoping to go there next year (i'm in year 10) thanks
minniebrownies
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Baddiee)
what grades did you get to be accepted into Brampton? i'm hoping to go there next year (i'm in year 10) thanks
My predicted grades were 8s/9s.
Mostly 8s though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (34)
7.98%
Confident (56)
13.15%
Indifferent (60)
14.08%
Unsure (110)
25.82%
Worried (166)
38.97%

Watched Threads

Latest