The Student Room Group

Grammar School vs State School for sixthform

Hey,
I am currently in a difficult position, as I have been going to state school (Woodbridge High School) since year 7 (I am now in year 11 and am going into year 12) and I have been offered a position in an all girls grammar school for sixth form (Woodford County High School). My grades are above avg. but they aren’t excellent. I have heard a lot of things about grammar schools, like you have to do a lot of self learning. I am scared that as I am coming from a state school I would already be behind and also because I am not very good at learning things myself, I wouldn’t be able to keep up the speed at which we would learn in a grammar school.

Also, due to COVID-19 I haven’t actually had the opportunity to go and see the school or meet the teachers so I don’t know how comfortable the environment will be. The school only takes 50 new applicants for 6th form, so most people would’ve been there since yr 7 so I don’t know how likely I am to make new friends.

WCHS (the grammar school) has had significantly better results than my current school (WHS), but I am comfortable with my teachers at my current school as well as the people that are there.

I think I would be really helpful to hear the perspectives of people who have made a similar shift (from state to grammar) or people who go to grammar schools on the environment around the school and the learning.

I am struggling to decide if I should stay where I am (in my comfort zone) or take the risk.

UPDATE: I chose not to go and I am enjoying the school I decided to stay at xx
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I’m in yr 11 too - I’ve gone state for primary n then grammar from 7-11 n now I’m continuing at the sixth form from the same school - I can’t tell you what to do but I can tell you that it is not all that scary. You won’t feel behind at all, in fact everyone will feel a similar thing cause ur all basically starting a new school in a way-ugm? A level will be totally different to gcse - so I’ve been told. Don’t worry you will make friends :smile:. Like you said this school has the grades you want - it’s your choice if you want to go after them. Hope this helped
Reply 2
Ahh it was really helpful thank you. Do you go to a same sex grammar school? And also is there a lot of academic pressure, like a need to do really well?
Original post by Anxka_x
Ahh it was really helpful thank you. Do you go to a same sex grammar school? And also is there a lot of academic pressure, like a need to do really well?

Np -No mixed - there is pressure but it’s not gonna make you go crazy however this is sixth form we’re talking about so idk. I’m guessing that there will be a need to do rly well but U’ll be encouraged by the idea of ppl around u doing well so u naturally do. Apparently teachers in sixth form do go out of their way for their students- well that’s mine but I think it’ll be the same for you.
Like above i have been going to a grammer skl since yr 7 all the way to sixth form. From experience i'd say its not really hard to adjust to a grammar skl like the first few weeks would be hard but dw theres gonna be ppl in the same shoes as u and some ppl who didnt go grammar skl from yr7-11 actually do better than the ppl who went. Honestly sixth form is all about effort. The more effort u put in the better ur grades will be. The only difference is that grammar skl students usually understand the content quicker. Good luck hope this helps.
There must be a reason why you applied to the GS. Do you feel that you could do better with a little bit more focus/competition/pressure?
My daughter went to a grammar and they did expect a lot from the girls but that is why people went there - and why they got the great grades. I would expect all 6th formers to be putting in some self learning effort - that is what brings out the best in you. Also, if you are planning on uni, it is a good time to take some steps down that road as uni will not be spoon feeding you.
Side note - grammars are state schools too, they are just selective state schools.
Original post by Anxka_x

A Grammar school is a state school - each one is different - why not try it and see?
My sister went to one of the top grammar schools in the country for a levels before she went to a state school it didn't do her any good. She got 10A*'s and 1A at GCSE and only ABB in a level. The pressure got to her and the environment was super toxic, I think it broke her to be honest and a lot of the teaching was very poor as the only reason the school was one of the top in the country is because of the people they accepted not the teaching. There was very little support with studies and mental health. It is better to be a big fish in a little pond to be honest it is a lot better for your self-esteem and it is a more motivating environment than one where it feels like despite getting above average grades you never feel good enough. People can say what they want regarding this e.g. high pressure environments are good but I don't think so. I think people do better in encouraging and supportive environments.
Original post by Anonymous1502
My sister went to one of the top grammar schools in the country for a levels before she went to a state school it didn't do her any good. She got 10A*'s and 1A at GCSE and only ABB in a level. The pressure got to her and the environment was super toxic, I think it broke her to be honest and a lot of the teaching was very poor as the only reason the school was one of the top in the country is because of the people they accepted not the teaching. There was very little support with studies and mental health. It is better to be a big fish in a little pond to be honest it is a lot better for your self-esteem and it is a more motivating environment than one where it feels like despite getting above average grades you never feel good enough. People can say what they want regarding this e.g. high pressure environments are good but I don't think so. I think people do better in encouraging and supportive environments.

THIS!

It also depends, do you know anyone at the new school? A lot of the students may already know each other, so that would just add to the pressure and you may feel lonely if you feel like you don't fit in. A Levels are already difficult, I wouldn't add to the pressure. Definitely ask if you could just come in to see what lessons are like for a day or something if you can. I moved schools for A Level and hated it, then I ended up moving back to my old school where I was more comfortable and did quite well. A Levels are very important, so go wherever makes you feel happy and comfortable.
Original post by SuperFly
THIS!

It also depends, do you know anyone at the new school? A lot of the students may already know each other, so that would just add to the pressure and you may feel lonely if you feel like you don't fit in. A Levels are already difficult, I wouldn't add to the pressure. Definitely ask if you could just come in to see what lessons are like for a day or something if you can. I moved schools for A Level and hated it, then I ended up moving back to my old school where I was more comfortable and did quite well. A Levels are very important, so go wherever makes you feel happy and comfortable.

She didn't know anyone initially, the school was one were spreading nasty rumours about others sas the norm. Also if she shared with the other girls that she was finding it hard they wouldn't be very supportive instead they would say something along the lines of if you don't like this school you can leave stop complaining. So the environment was not supportive at all as when you share you she struggling the response would have Been empathetic.
Original post by Anxka_x
Hey,
I am currently in a difficult position, as I have been going to state school (Woodbridge High School) since year 7 (I am now in year 11 and am going into year 12) and I have been offered a position in an all girls grammar school for sixth form (Woodford County High School). My grades are above avg. but they aren’t excellent. I have heard a lot of things about grammar schools, like you have to do a lot of self learning. I am scared that as I am coming from a state school I would already be behind and also because I am not very good at learning things myself, I wouldn’t be able to keep up the speed at which we would learn in a grammar school.

Also, due to COVID-19 I haven’t actually had the opportunity to go and see the school or meet the teachers so I don’t know how comfortable the environment will be. The school only takes 50 new applicants for 6th form, so most people would’ve been there since yr 7 so I don’t know how likely I am to make new friends.

WCHS (the grammar school) has had significantly better results than my current school (WHS), but I am comfortable with my teachers at my current school as well as the people that are there.

I think I would be really helpful to hear the perspectives of people who have made a similar shift (from state to grammar) or people who go to grammar schools on the environment around the school and the learning.

I am struggling to decide if I should stay where I am (in my comfort zone) or take the risk.

I think I should’ve started a new thread but it involves Woodford so 🤷🏽*♀️...

I’m in year 11 too and I’ve been accepted into Woodford and Brampton Manor.
I’ve always wanted to get into a grammar school.
Most of my classmates from my current state school want to go to Brampton because of the number of oxbridge places.

Both the schools are pretty much the same distance away but they seem like completely different worlds to me.

Any thoughts?
Original post by minniebrownies

Most of my classmates from my current state school want to go to Brampton because of the number of oxbridge places.

Both the schools are pretty much the same distance away but they seem like completely different worlds to me.

Any thoughts?

I also got a place at Woodford and Brampton, I think I’m going to go to Woodford though because I didn’t really like the vibe of Brampton.
I was quite impressed by the oxbridge places but then I realised I didn’t want to go to oxbridge and I had no other reason why I’d want to go to Brampton.
I guess it depends on what subjects you’re taking as well
Original post by Amara 1420033
I also got a place at Woodford and Brampton, I think I’m going to go to Woodford though because I didn’t really like the vibe of Brampton.
I was quite impressed by the oxbridge places but then I realised I didn’t want to go to oxbridge and I had no other reason why I’d want to go to Brampton.
I guess it depends on what subjects you’re taking as well

I’m still not certain but Woodford seems like the right choice for me.
I want to take biology, chemistry, physics and maths.
I just want to get into medicine and I do care about where I’m going but I feel like Brampton only focusses on getting as many people into Oxbridge.

Any thoughts?

what grades did you get to be accepted into Brampton? i'm hoping to go there next year (i'm in year 10) thanks
Original post by Baddiee
what grades did you get to be accepted into Brampton? i'm hoping to go there next year (i'm in year 10) thanks

My predicted grades were 8s/9s.
Mostly 8s though
My predicted grades were 8s/9s.
Mostly 8s though

thank you :smile:
Im in Year 11 and I've just finished my 5 years at Woodford. The school is overall a really nice one. There's always something to take part in. The internal girls are all really nice and there's definitely a friendship group for everyone, so don't worry about fitting in. With regards to the pace, I might be a bit biased as I've known nothing but a grammar school, but it's not that fast. Lessons are very thoroughly planned out and teachers will always try to help.Most teachers are very good at what they do, but around 15 have just left, which is a large number in such a small school, but I can tell you specifics for your subjects.One thing I will say is that you should be prepared to work hard, because Woodford will stretch you to achieve the best that you can and you will be constantly reminded of the fact that it is a grammar school and you are better than those at regular state schools.The school is also very in touch with its history. Having just finished its 100 year anniversary, there will always be school birthday festivities, with a parade and fun activities on that day.The school is very good for Classics, Languages, Maths and Sciences. Again I can give specifics about your subjects.Any questions, let me know.
Original post by asdfg1234567
Im in Year 11 and I've just finished my 5 years at Woodford. The school is overall a really nice one. There's always something to take part in. The internal girls are all really nice and there's definitely a friendship group for everyone, so don't worry about fitting in. With regards to the pace, I might be a bit biased as I've known nothing but a grammar school, but it's not that fast. Lessons are very thoroughly planned out and teachers will always try to help.Most teachers are very good at what they do, but around 15 have just left, which is a large number in such a small school, but I can tell you specifics for your subjects.One thing I will say is that you should be prepared to work hard, because Woodford will stretch you to achieve the best that you can and you will be constantly reminded of the fact that it is a grammar school and you are better than those at regular state schools.The school is also very in touch with its history. Having just finished its 100 year anniversary, there will always be school birthday festivities, with a parade and fun activities on that day.The school is very good for Classics, Languages, Maths and Sciences. Again I can give specifics about your subjects.Any questions, let me know.

Do you know much about the sixth form? Also are you staying for the sixth form or are you going to leave?
Original post by Anonymous1502

A grammar school IS a state school .... I stopped reading after the first sentence :frown:
Original post by Muttley79
A grammar school IS a state school .... I stopped reading after the first sentence :frown:

I was meant to write a non selective school

Quick Reply

Latest