Urgent! Alcohol Free and Quite Accommodation (Uni of Bath)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I’m currently making my accommodation choices and am debating whether or not to select the alcohol free and/or quite option. I’m sober because of religious reasons and personal preference. However, I’m very sociable and love to go out (just not to clubs and pubs.) On the one hand I’m hoping alcohol free will allow me to meet more like minded people. On the other I’m afraid that selecting it I will end up with unsociable and reserved people. If anyone has lived in either of these (at uni of bath or elsewhere) your input would be much appreciated! Should I put both preferences? Just alcohol free? Just quite? I would love some advice. Thanks in advance! ☺️
vpn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If it's forbidden in your religion to drink, then I would go for an accommodation that is alcohol free. As for the FOMO (fear of missing out), I would also recommend you to join a society at uni.
President Snow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I don't drink alcohol and lived in a regular accommodation block in first year. It was nice, I had a good time.

I think this is a question only you can answer. Are you willing to accept other people for their free choice to drink alcohol? Are you willing to be around others drinking alcohol? Are you happy to join in a drinking game, just taking a glass of orange juice / fizzy water / whatever?

If so I would think you'll be just fine in a regular accommodation block.
University of Bath
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m currently making my accommodation choices and am debating whether or not to select the alcohol free and/or quite option. I’m sober because of religious reasons and personal preference. However, I’m very sociable and love to go out (just not to clubs and pubs.) On the one hand I’m hoping alcohol free will allow me to meet more like minded people. On the other I’m afraid that selecting it I will end up with unsociable and reserved people. If anyone has lived in either of these (at uni of bath or elsewhere) your input would be much appreciated! Should I put both preferences? Just alcohol free? Just quite? I would love some advice. Thanks in advance! ☺️
Hi there,

You might find this video that a current student did about living in quiet/alcohol free accommodation useful. The general consensus is that people enjoy being in their quiet/alcohol free accommodation, especially if it is for religious reasons. Alcohol is completely forbidden in these acccommodations, so you could be comfortable knowing that it isn't going to be around you. People also say that they meet lovely and fun people in quiet accommodation, and end up making really close friends, so it doesn't seem like you'd just end up with antisocial people. Hopefully that reassures you a bit

The downside to quiet accommodation is that the accommodation used for it changes by year, so you can't really tell what accommodation you'll live in. The accommodation team will factor in which accommodations you've selected as your top 10 choices, as well as your request for quiet accommodation, but they cannot guarantee that you'll get your top choices and/or quiet accommodation. I don't imagine this is that much of an issue as you'd still likely get one of your top few choices, but it's worth noting.

All in all, I would say that it would probably be worth your while to go for alcohol free accommodation if you are fully sober (especially if for religious reasons), as you will likely end up with like-minded people. However, if you are still hesitant that people may be reserved or unsocial, and you don't have a problem with people in your flat drinking alcohol, then you should be fine in normal accommodation too. Not everyone at university drinks loads, if at all, so you'd probably still find people you get on with in non-alcohol free accommodation. If you ended up disliking your flat/flatmates in either scenario, you can move flat if you speak to the accommodation team.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a third year NatSci student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads