Music fans, do you wish we had TOTP back?

Watch
TJ1997
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Love watching old Top of the Pops clips on Youtube and sometimes wonder if it would be a decent watch if they still aired it today.
izzy.eustace
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It would be fun, but I feel that the way music is released and listened to has changed an awful lot. I think if it would have carried on it wouldn't have the same nostalgia and progressive feeling. I also don't think that Justin Bieber performing yummy has the same appeal as the smiths.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzy.eustace)
It would be fun, but I feel that the way music is released and listened to has changed an awful lot. I think if it would have carried on it wouldn't have the same nostalgia and progressive feeling. I also don't think that Justin Bieber performing yummy has the same appeal as the smiths.
Yeah I see your point it wouldn't have the same impact as back then; the xmas specials that still run every year do get quite boring tbh.

Agreed! Morrissey performing with some flower in his hand>Justin Bieber flailing around
izzy.eustace
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Yeah I see your point it wouldn't have the same impact as back then; the xmas specials that still run every year do get quite boring tbh.

Agreed! Morrissey performing with some flower in his hand>Justin Bieber flailing around
i have such an appreciation for his odd flowers and dancing
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Usually people say what difference does it make, but trust me the dancing makes all the difference
TJ1997
Rep:
?

Also watched this last night, some great performances!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I miss it and still enjoy the Xmas one. Tbh I mainly watched it to complain about who was on it, but that's half the fun

WASP were on it in 92 and changed my life
TJ1997
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I miss it and still enjoy the Xmas one. Tbh I mainly watched it to complain about who was on it, but that's half the fun

WASP were on it in 92 and changed my life
I'll give the WASP one a look see on Youtube
Last edited by TJ1997; 1 month ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I loved TOTP.
Bring it back.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hope the xmas one this year is decent
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Considering it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever I must say no.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by awkwardshortguy)
Considering it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever I must say no.
What do you class as 'redeeming'? Lol
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Alesha1991
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure a format like TOTP would work the same now because the way people consume music has just changed so much. I used to enjoy watching it as a kid though & sometimes I'll have a look at some of the old clips on Youtube.
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Alesha1991)
I'm not sure a format like TOTP would work the same now because the way people consume music has just changed so much. I used to enjoy watching it as a kid though & sometimes I'll have a look at some of the old clips on Youtube.
Yeah I get that, especially with the way the charts work nowadays with downloads, etc.

The old clips are my boredom go to source of entertainment aha, always sure to find something decent to watch
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It was decent when there was only 5 channels. Once Sky Digital became a thing nobody really needed to see the artists mime the studio recordings of their songs because we had channels like MTV and Kerrang on all day every day.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure it would work nowadays, given downloads and the way people buy and listen to music. Once Woolworths closed, single sales declined, then came streaming etc.
Picnicl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A BBC2 show that regularly shows extracts (always 2 or 3 songs per artist) of gigs around the country in a 45 minute format would be better.
Last edited by Picnicl; 3 weeks ago
TJ1997
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I guess we still have it because of the xmas and new year specials but yeah hard to see how it would work in a streaming age..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed