Design Engineering: To Open University or not to Open University? Advice Needed

Watch
Poll: Design Engineering: To Open University or not to Open University? Advice Needed
Restart a BEng Design Engineering Course (0)
0%
Continue Product Design alonside the Open University (0)
0%
arwg.student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
TL;DR: I am currently studying a BSc Product Design degree but realised I want to go into Design Engineering. Would I be better off quitting and starting a new BEng Design Engineering degree or completing a part time BEng Mechanical Engineering degree with the OU alongside my current degree? I need advice!!

I have just completed my first year studying a BSc Product Design Technology course in England. Whilst the course has some engineering theory (mechanics, manufacturing, materials etc), I wish it had more and find myself gravitating towards this as a future career.

As such, I have two main options:

1. Restart a course to study a BEng in Product Design Engineering.

2. Continue studying this BSc in Product Design and take up a BEng in (Mechanical) Engineering with the Open University during my 3rd year (out in industry).

I am personally gravitating towards the latter option for a couple reasons, but would like to hear your thoughts and opinions…

One primary reason for me not switching is cost. Including tuition, accommodation, general living etc, this year at university will have cost me £17,000. For the cost of switching to a whole new course (and thus wasting £17,000) I could literally complete a BEng (alongside my current degree and into my first job) for about £18,000 (thats still a lot, but cheaper than restarting).

Secondly, the current Product Design course I am studying is nationally renowned for its research and graduates and I am somewhat scared of giving up an opportunity which I worked so hard to be accepted for. I also have great access to facilities, professors and great friends at this uni.

On the other hand, I am aware that completing a second degree alongside my first should not be taken lightly and requires immense patience and time management. I have immense respect for any OU students/graduates!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads