Can I study Marine Biology with a BTEC.

Watch
Navashi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I take biology, chemistry and business BTEC level 3 extended certificate. I wanted to know if I can study Marine Biology at a university with my subjects as I know may universities accept btec national diplomas but I haven’t seen any that accept btec extended certificate. Could anyone help please?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Navashi)
I take biology, chemistry and business BTEC level 3 extended certificate. I wanted to know if I can study Marine Biology at a university with my subjects as I know may universities accept btec national diplomas but I haven’t seen any that accept btec extended certificate. Could anyone help please?
I believe nearly all universities accept the extended certificate but check with a couple to be certain. PQ Admit-One can you please confirm this. I believe the extended certificate is the new BTEC grade and the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 A levels.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 5 months ago
Navashi
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I believe nearly all universities accept the extended certificate but check with a couple to be certain. PQ Admit-One can you please confirm this. I believe the extended certificate is the new BTEC grade and the equivalent of 1 and 1/2 A levels.
Thank you I have sent emails to a few universities just waiting for responses really just wanted to check if anyone here knew but thank you.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you I have sent emails to a few universities just waiting for responses really just wanted to check if anyone here knew but thank you.
I think it was the new thing they brought in when they changed the BTECS and if that wat it is universities will accept it. I have tagged in an admissions tutor and TSR's ucas expert to confirm this. Certificates used to be AS level but I think this is the one that compares to A level.
Navashi
Rep:
?
I think it was the new thing they brought in when they changed the BTECS and if that wat it is universities will accept it. I have tagged in an admissions tutor and TSR's ucas expert to confirm this. Certificates used to be AS level but I think this is the one that compares to A level.
Thank you so much hopefully it will clear things up.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Navashi

Swanseajack1 is correct in that nearly every uni in the UK will quite happily consider some combination of BTECs and AL's usually so long as you have the equivalent of 3 AL's in total. I'm not aware of any that don't accept one version of the BTEC but I note that the National Certificate is approx 0.5 AL so it is not terribly useful, (unless accepted for UCAS points).

According to my notes the National Extended Cert is equiv to 1 AL, so you would be absolutely fine to apply with that and 2 AL's, assuming you meet any subject requirements.

I would hope that any Uni that did not accept BTECs would make this fairly clear on their website.
Navashi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Navashi

Swanseajack1 is correct in that nearly every uni in the UK will quite happily consider some combination of BTECs and AL's usually so long as you have the equivalent of 3 AL's in total. I'm not aware of any that don't accept one version of the BTEC but I note that the National Certificate is approx 0.5 AL so it is not terribly useful, (unless accepted for UCAS points).

According to my notes the National Extended Cert is equiv to 1 AL, so you would be absolutely fine to apply with that and 2 AL's, assuming you meet any subject requirements.

I would hope that any Uni that did not accept BTECs would make this fairly clear on their website.
Thank you. I meet the requirements they have listed but it is really frustrating when they don’t say what btecs they do and don’t accept.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thank you. I meet the requirements they have listed but it is really frustrating when they don’t say what btecs they do and don’t accept.
I agree it is frustrating as a simple table of accepted BTECs on their respective websites could clear this up.

If their phonelines are closed, have you checked on their websites for a livechat or any other way to contact them?
Navashi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
I agree it is frustrating as a simple table of accepted BTECs on their respective websites could clear this up.

If their phonelines are closed, have you checked on their websites for a livechat or any other way to contact them?
I haven’t tried their phonelines I have just emailed them and am waiting for responses however that is a food idea that I’ll try. I have also found out that Portsmouth do accept btec extended certificates which is fantastic so I am just waiting for other universities to respond and see other options that are available.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It certainly used to be that BTECs were accepted by over 95%. I know Cambridge didnt and I think there were a few others mainly London universities but everywhere else does. The big issue with BTECs is that they are so wide and some of them dont get accepted but things like Business and Applied Science amongst others are universally accepted. Prior to the change in BTECs the certificate used to be AS level and Diploma A level equivalent but the extended certificate is A level. I just needed that confirmed.

I cannot see that you will get rejected on that basis as Biology and Chemistry are the key subjects and on most universities preferred list.

The one area where the extended BTEC ytends not to be extended is Medicine or similar as the Chemistry taken isnt as in depth as A level but with your A levels you will be fine.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The one area where the extended BTEC ytends not to be extended is Medicine or similar as the Chemistry taken isnt as in depth as A level but with your A levels you will be fine.
Similarly I know some are a bit particular about accepting a BTEC by itself where there is a Maths AL requirement. But I agree that the OP's combo seems perfectly reasonable for the course they are interested in, (not that I know much of anything about marine biology ).
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maths A level is requested for courses in Computer Science, Engineering and Economics as the BTEC doesnt have the same required level of Maths knowledge. Similarly sometimes Chemistry or Biology A level is required for science courses as the BTEC doesnt go as deep as A level into these subjects being a more general course.
Navashi
Rep:
?
It certainly used to be that BTECs were accepted by over 95%. I know Cambridge didnt and I think there were a few others mainly London universities but everywhere else does. The big issue with BTECs is that they are so wide and some of them dont get accepted but things like Business and Applied Science amongst others are universally accepted. Prior to the change in BTECs the certificate used to be AS level and Diploma A level equivalent but the extended certificate is A level. I just needed that confirmed.

I cannot see that you will get rejected on that basis as Biology and Chemistry are the key subjects and on most universities preferred list.

Thank you for that, really cleared things up. I’m sure I’ll be able to find other universities that accept btecs as they are becoming much more accepted in general and I do have the required subjects so I’m sure it should work out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads