The Student Room Group

Work Experience

Hi!
So im applying to uni for 2021 and loads of people are telling me to include work experience in my personal statement. However, I am going into my second year of college and have never done work experience as it was not offered. I have had a part time job for over a year but it is not related to the course i want to study.

Will me not including work experience cost me? I do not have the chance to find any either due to coronavirus. Any ideas?
Having work experience isn't necessary, don't worry. If you do want to include it, you can mention the transferable skills you've gained from your part time job?
Online courses or virtual work experience on Inside sherpa
Reply 3
Original post by neemboo.x
Having work experience isn't necessary, don't worry. If you do want to include it, you can mention the transferable skills you've gained from your part time job?

Thank you! just panicked because everyone else was including it ahahah
Reply 4
Original post by mozarelladippers
Online courses or virtual work experience on Inside sherpa

It isn't possible at this time or for my field of work :smile:
Original post by Sophie7703
It isn't possible at this time or for my field of work :smile:

ah that makes sense
Reply 6
Original post by mozarelladippers
yh it is possible because it pre-recorded or made before the pandemic so you can start and finish it at your own convenience

again, it is not possible for my field of work.
Unless you are looking at medicine or something similar where work experience is an essential requirement, it is not really valued by Uni's.

Anything extra-curricular that you mention, (wider reading, volunteering, online courses etc.), needs to be relevant and reflected upon critically as it relates to the course you are applying to. Stating that you had a part time job and gained "team working" skills is a waste of space for example.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Unless you are looking at medicine or something similar where work experience is an essential requirement, it is not really valued by Uni's.

Anything extra-curricular that you mention, (wider reading, volunteering, online courses etc.), needs to be relevant and reflected upon critically as it relates to the course you are applying to. Stating that you had a part time job and gained "team working" skills is a waste of space for example.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Sophie7703
Thank you! :smile:

No problem, there are a lot of misconceptions about what needs to be in a personal statement.

Most Uni's will have guidance on their website under 'how to apply' or 'tips on applying' or similar. You can also google the University name + "personal statement". Schools and classmates will often give bad advice, so just do your own research :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
No problem, there are a lot of misconceptions about what needs to be a personal statement.

Most Uni's will have guidance on their website under 'how to apply' or 'tips on applying' or similar. You can also google the University name + "personal statement". Schools and classmates will often give bad advice, so just do your own research :smile:

Thank you that’s brilliant!
Any job you've had is relevant at least to some extent, as it develops responsibility, time management, money management, people skills. Okay, you won't want to dwell on it if it's not directly related to your desired course, but work of any kind is good!
Reply 12
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Any job you've had is relevant at least to some extent, as it develops responsibility, time management, money management, people skills. Okay, you won't want to dwell on it if it's not directly related to your desired course, but work of any kind is good!

Thank u for your reply! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending