The Student Room Group

Oxford Law

Hi,
I’m wanting to apply to Oxford law.. I’m just really concerned that I don’t have much of a chance..Can someone give me a realistic view?

My stats are;
GCSE- 99999(English Lang,English lit,geography,RE,psychology) 888(maths and double science) 4(photography 😬) From a state school
I haven’t got my predictions yet but I think they will be ; A* A* A(Eng lit, psyc, bio) + EPQ
Super curriculars to include in statement(obviously I know it is what you ‘take’ from it but..);
-Human Rights MOOC(Amnesty international)
-Judiciary MOOC(Kings College)
-International Human rights and criminal law MOOC
-Legal Apprentice Competition(Kingsley Naples)
-EPQ(on death penalty)
-EPQ MOOC(in support of EPQ)
-Speaking competition
-Cambridge uni Brilliant club scholars programme
-4 weeks volunteer Africa
-Wider Reading I.e. ‘Is eating people wrong?’
-Work experience at law firm secured
-AOPE
-Leo Cussen Human rights law firm(virtual work experience)
Extra curricular(will briefly/maybe even not mention);
-Keen gym and fitness goer
-Netballer
-National horse riding comps

Sorry for the long post just good for context!
Also any advice on how to prep for the LNAT ? I’ve started looking, but also wondering how long in advance people start ?
And any advice for the interview?

Thanks in advance
I think you have a pretty good chance as long as you do well in the LNAT and interview, which has the most weighting in your overall application. The only way to prep is to practice the MCQs and some possible essay questions, which will be good if you read the news often. Most people start in the summer because of Oxford deadline. I recommend looking at @Sophie.qoh chapter even though it's for Cambridge she gives how her interview was like and some tips for it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488
Original post by PetitePanda
I think you have a pretty good chance as long as you do well in the LNAT and interview, which has the most weighting in your overall application. The only way to prep is to practice the MCQs and some possible essay questions, which will be good if you read the news often. Most people start in the summer because of Oxford deadline. I recommend looking at @Sophie.qoh chapter even though it's for Cambridge she gives how her interview was like and some tips for it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488

Thank u:smile:
It seems to me that you have plenty to write about for your personal statement! I hope my chapter can be of some help and I did also do the LNAT for my application to other universities so let me know if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by Sophie.qoh
It seems to me that you have plenty to write about for your personal statement! I hope my chapter can be of some help and I did also do the LNAT for my application to other universities so let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Hi! Thank you. Where can I find your chapter ? Where did you apply and get offers from ? X
Hi! I have an offer for Cambridge rather than Oxford but I still did the LNAT for other universities (I scored 30). I started prepping for the LNAT about 3 months in advance. I practised about 2 essays a week though tbh they’re not exceedingly difficult. Make sure you can keep to the word count (the most important thing for me). I bought a book to practise the multiple choice questions but I would warn that they are often easier than the exam. There are a few official test papers on the LNAT website but I would save those.
Original post by Miriam29
Hi! I have an offer for Cambridge rather than Oxford but I still did the LNAT for other universities (I scored 30). I started prepping for the LNAT about 3 months in advance. I practised about 2 essays a week though tbh they’re not exceedingly difficult. Make sure you can keep to the word count (the most important thing for me). I bought a book to practise the multiple choice questions but I would warn that they are often easier than the exam. There are a few official test papers on the LNAT website but I would save those.

Thank you for the advice !
If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats? What did u include in your personal statement ? Also, what college did u choose as Cambridge is still an option for me :smile:?
Original post by anonymusLI170902
Hi! Thank you. Where can I find your chapter ? Where did you apply and get offers from ? X

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488&p=88511460 - the link to my chapter. I applied to St Catharine's College at Cambridge, UCL and Leeds for law and then King's College London/Panthéon-Assas and Leicester/Strasbourg for an LLB and Maitrise. Happy to say I got an offer from all 5.
Thank you for the advice !
If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats? What did u include in your personal statement ? Also, what college did u choose as Cambridge is still an option for me :smile:?

Sure!
GCSEs: 12A*s and a Distinction in Additional Maths (in Wales we still use letters)
AS: 4As
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A
Personal statement: books I’d read (and what I learned from them), an article about human rights + my opinion, an Amnesty International MOOC, a few cases I’d read + opinion on the judgements, Kingsley Napley competition, residential at Trinity College Cambridge, extracurricular, some activism I’ve taken part in + speeches I’ve given. I didn’t do any work experience.
College: Trinity Hall (obviously the best college haha)

Honestly the things you listed for your personal statement look great so I don’t see any issues there. You’ve clearly engaged in different areas of the law. The most important thing is to show what you’ve learned and demonstrate that you have put in enough thought to form opinions.

If you want a book recommendation, I’d say “Is Eating People Wrong?” by Allan C. Hutchinson is truly brilliant!
Original post by Miriam29
Sure!
GCSEs: 12A*s and a Distinction in Additional Maths (in Wales we still use letters)
AS: 4As
A Level Predictions: A*A*A*A
Personal statement: books I’d read (and what I learned from them), an article about human rights + my opinion, an Amnesty International MOOC, a few cases I’d read + opinion on the judgements, Kingsley Napley competition, residential at Trinity College Cambridge, extracurricular, some activism I’ve taken part in + speeches I’ve given. I didn’t do any work experience.
College: Trinity Hall (obviously the best college haha)

Honestly the things you listed for your personal statement look great so I don’t see any issues there. You’ve clearly engaged in different areas of the law. The most important thing is to show what you’ve learned and demonstrate that you have put in enough thought to form opinions.

If you want a book recommendation, I’d say “Is Eating People Wrong?” by Allan C. Hutchinson is truly brilliant!

This is so weird !!!
Not only have we completed loads of the same super curriculars I.e. I’m doing Kingsley Napley Legal Apprentice Competition and done the human rights amnesty international mooc.. but when I was talking about my wider reading, I’m now reading is Eating People Wrong ? Already ! I’ve even referred to Dudley and Stephens in my draft PS😂😂
What a coincidence !

Also well done on your GCSEs ! I feel like mine may let me down,even though I’ve always thought they were good, however a 9 is ‘above’ and A* so in theory I got 8 A* and a C which isn’t too bad for Oxbridge I guess.I’m not doing AS, so maybe I can push my predictions to A*A*A* and hope for the best! As in all my mocks I’ve been doing well so far I.e. in Eng Lit getting 18 marks into an AS A grade.

So I can dream😂
This is so weird !!!
Not only have we completed loads of the same super curriculars I.e. I’m doing Kingsley Napley Legal Apprentice Competition and done the human rights amnesty international mooc.. but when I was talking about my wider reading, I’m now reading is Eating People Wrong ? Already ! I’ve even referred to Dudley and Stephens in my draft PS😂😂
What a coincidence !

Also well done on your GCSEs ! I feel like mine may let me down,even though I’ve always thought they were good, however a 9 is ‘above’ and A* so in theory I got 8 A* and a C which isn’t too bad for Oxbridge I guess.I’m not doing AS, so maybe I can push my predictions to A*A*A* and hope for the best! As in all my mocks I’ve been doing well so far I.e. in Eng Lit getting 18 marks into an AS A grade.

So I can dream😂

Your GCSEs are definitely good enough! I’m in a group chat with offer holders for my college and a lot of them have stats very similar to yours. Also I think we might be twins because we’ve looked at very similar topic haha. Of course I’d recommend coming over to the good side (i.e. Cambridge) but I think you have as good a shot as any other applicant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending