A level biology and geography students

Watch
The-judge-16
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Rate these two a levels in terms of difficulty and degree opportunities? Also what grades are you getting in both, and what other subjects are you doing.
dandelions9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I’m doing both of these A-levels along with English Lit. I really enjoy them both, but personally would prefer geography over biology. It is good taking both of these together as you will notice they overlap when learning about ecosystems and other topics to do with the science of the natural world. Biology has a lot of content, as does geography, but personally I would say biology makes me stress more because of the amount of content. In terms of degree opportunities, if you want to go into a stem related degree you will probably need a core science subject such as biology, geography is considered a social science at some institutions but not all. I am hoping to do environmental science at university in 2021 with the a levels I am doing because I have a particular interest in the environment.
Last edited by dandelions9; 5 months ago
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by dandelions9)
Hi! I’m doing both of these A-levels along with English Lit. I really enjoy them both, but personally would prefer geography over biology. It is good taking both of these together as you will notice they overlap when learning about ecosystems and other topics to do with the science of the natural world. Biology has a lot of content, as does geography, but personally I would say biology makes me stress more because of the amount of content. In terms of degree opportunities, if you want to go into a stem related degree you will probably need a core science subject such as biology, geography is considered a social science at some institutions but not all. I am hoping to do environmental science at university in 2021 with the a levels I am doing because I have a particular interest in the environment.
I am likely going to be doing biology, geography and sociology. It’s interesting to hear that some universities consider geography a social science, as it does apply a hell of a lot to the world around us and the structure of the earth. Most people say that biology is very difficult, that’s why I’m not doing chemistry along with it, because chemistry seems like even more of a nightmare lol 😂
dandelions9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by The-judge-16)
I am likely going to be doing biology, geography and sociology. It’s interesting to hear that some universities consider geography a social science, as it does apply a hell of a lot to the world around us and the structure of the earth. Most people say that biology is very difficult, that’s why I’m not doing chemistry along with it, because chemistry seems like even more of a nightmare lol 😂
Yeah I actually started this year doing 4 subjects, the other which was chemistry lol
I dropped Chem back in January because I had personal stuff going on and was consistently getting D’s and E’s in my tests. Chemistry is difficult but I seriously underestimated how much maths it involved, there was so much quantitative and I was pretty overwhelmed lol
tinfoilhat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Rate these two a levels in terms of difficulty and degree opportunities? Also what grades are you getting in both, and what other subjects are you doing.
Geography is a relatively easy one. Biology is harder but it is just memory recall at the end of the day.

I run a free tutoring website that offers help for A-Level Biology as well as Geography (among other subjects) from Year 13 who have secured places at top universities for these subjects. PM me for the link if this is something that interests you
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by dandelions9)
Yeah I actually started this year doing 4 subjects, the other which was chemistry lol
I dropped Chem back in January because I had personal stuff going on and was consistently getting D’s and E’s in my tests. Chemistry is difficult but I seriously underestimated how much maths it involved, there was so much quantitative and I was pretty overwhelmed lol
I’m just so happy that I finally decided not to do chemistry a level!
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, The-judge-16,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times.

To help answer your first question, how difficult is A Level Biology and A Level Geography? From experience, I did find A Level Biology more challenging than A Level Geography and that did reflect in my final grade. However, it also depends on what subjects interest you.

My interests are in Geographical Sciences. That’s possibly why I found A Level Geography slightly easier to understand compared to some A Level Biology topics. However, sometimes there was an overlap between A Level Biology content and Geography like carbon cycling and biodiversity making the content much easier to grasp.

There are many degree opportunities with either A Level Biology or Geography or both. The Uni Guide’s A Level Explorer may give you a broad idea of degrees you could pursue with the A Levels you have selected.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

To give you a specific example for Biology, you could pursue a degree like Biological Sciences. It could lead to a career in medical science such as research, the NHS, molecular sciences, medical genetics, pharmaceuticals, developing scientific patents, medical sales or marketing, medical writing and teaching.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...ences-bsc-hons

Or to give you a specific example for Geography you could pursue a degree like Human or Physical Geography. It could lead to a career in research, teaching, environmental management, planning, finance banking, travel/tourism and nature conservation.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...raphy-bsc-hons

To help answer your third question. Alongside, A Level Biology and A Level Geography I also studied A Level Business Studies. From my experience, there was some link between A Level Geography and A Level Business Studies with topics like Globalisation and Corporate Social Awareness. This will depend on which exam board and modules your 6th Form/College decides to study. The combination of these three A Levels has prepared me well when in the first year of my degree studying Geography (BSc Hons).

All the best with your studies,

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)
Hi, The-judge-16,

I hope you are well during these unprecedented times.

To help answer your first question, how difficult is A Level Biology and A Level Geography? From experience, I did find A Level Biology more challenging than A Level Geography and that did reflect in my final grade. However, it also depends on what subjects interest you.

My interests are in Geographical Sciences. That’s possibly why I found A Level Geography slightly easier to understand compared to some A Level Biology topics. However, sometimes there was an overlap between A Level Biology content and Geography like carbon cycling and biodiversity making the content much easier to grasp.

There are many degree opportunities with either A Level Biology or Geography or both. The Uni Guide’s A Level Explorer may give you a broad idea of degrees you could pursue with the A Levels you have selected.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

To give you a specific example for Biology, you could pursue a degree like Biological Sciences. It could lead to a career in medical science such as research, the NHS, molecular sciences, medical genetics, pharmaceuticals, developing scientific patents, medical sales or marketing, medical writing and teaching.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...ences-bsc-hons

Or to give you a specific example for Geography you could pursue a degree like Human or Physical Geography. It could lead to a career in research, teaching, environmental management, planning, finance banking, travel/tourism and nature conservation.

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...raphy-bsc-hons

To help answer your third question. Alongside, A Level Biology and A Level Geography I also studied A Level Business Studies. From my experience, there was some link between A Level Geography and A Level Business Studies with topics like Globalisation and Corporate Social Awareness. This will depend on which exam board and modules your 6th Form/College decides to study. The combination of these three A Levels has prepared me well when in the first year of my degree studying Geography (BSc Hons).

All the best with your studies,

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
Hi Sam Townsend

Many thanks for your advice. I am truly appreciative of your reply to my thread.
Hsxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by tinfoilhat)
Geography is a relatively easy one. Biology is harder but it is just memory recall at the end of the day.

I run a free tutoring website that offers help for A-Level Biology as well as Geography (among other subjects) from Year 13 who have secured places at top universities for these subjects. PM me for the link if this is something that interests you
Can you send me the link ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (505)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (621)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (305)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.54%

Watched Threads