The Student Room Group

BPS help!

I am in the process of completing a Bachelor of Arts Triple Major in English, Psychology and Media from a reputed university in India.

I have gotten an offer from University of Central Lancashire for their MSc. Applied Clinical Psychology, provided I receive a Graduate Basis of Chartership. I have applied for the same, but am unsure of my chances.

I would also rather avoid conversion courses, so I am also applying to the University of York’s MSc in Development, Disorders and Clinical Practice, which does not require a GBC. The degree does not carry a BPS accreditation.

However, I have understood that practicing in the UK requires a GBC, and since the course from the university does not confer a GBC, does my degree (provided I get a place) reduce in its value? Will I be able to apply and attain a GBC after I graduate?

I’d very much like to study at York, but this is a major issue since I also wish to practice in the future.
You NEED a course (either undergrad or postgraduate conversion course) to train and work as a psychologist (clinical, educational, health etc.) in the UK. Some psychology masters do not require you to have done a psychology undergrad, but only conversion courses will give you GBC. Some international courses have been assessed as meeting the requirements for GBC, but there are not many. These are the courses that you need to do in order to do additional training to be a psychologist: https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become-psychologist/accredited-courses?type=CONV and neither of those courses are on it I'm afraid
Most MSc's will require GBC from the BPS and the only way to get that is through doing an accredited BSc or conversion course
Reply 3
Hey, was your Indian degree accepted for GBC? I have also applied for GBC but I'm not sure it will be accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest