The Student Room Group

Feel guilty for eating more than others

Does anyone else feel guilty for eating more (calorie-wise) than other people (mainly parents)? I feel guilty for having a larger lunch/dinner than my parents because they both have active jobs and they both do things like skip breakfast and have a tiny lunch (e.g. one egg on toast). I, on the other hand, sit down doing schoolwork all morning, then have the same or larger (calorie-wise) lunch. I try to spend the rest of the afternoon working out or not being sat down in order to feel a bit less guilty, but then I also feel guilty for not doing more school work.

This is not only affecting my school work (I am skipping breakfast in order to feel less guilty) but is also affecting my relationship with my parents as they think I am being 'controlling' because my feelings of guilt make me say things like 'shouldn't you eat more?' and stuff like that. This causes us to row as whilst I can appreciate that my words may feel controlling to them, my guilt can be so extreme and I think they don't really understand this.

If they do eat more I feel less guilty. For reference, I am a 17-year-old female and have a BMI of 18.9. I would appreciate if anyone also experiences this, and if so what you did to 'get over it'. Thanks.
Hey,
Don't feel guilty, people metabolise things at different rates and you don't know how much snacking they do at work . I'm sure when you were in primary school you were told about eating 3 meals a day and eating a balanced diet. I think It is really Really important that you don't get caught up on all the numbers. Calories and BMI shouldn't concern you unless you are overweight or have underlying health conditions.

I'm sorry about your parents. It sounds really tough. Have you had a proper talk with them away from the table whilst they aren't eating?

I think it would be good to focus on the positives. Remember what food ACTUALLY does. It doesn't make you put on weight.
It keeps you alive.
It keeps your bones strong, it helps your heart beat, it helps you focus and it gives you energy. Food is a good thing. I know it's hard but try as hard as you can to stop weighing yourself. Weight and isn't a good measure of how healthy you are. You get elite athletes who are classified as obese because muscle is much denser than fat. Try to appreciate the good things about yourself I'm sure there are many, many things.

I hope I helped you at least a bit
best wishes and good luck!
-Emma :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest