The Student Room Group

Random historical facts

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
It's always fun watching episodes like this from history. A group that is more a nuisance than anything else goes one step too far and promptly gets exterminated for their troubles. The Sicarii being another good example for the Roman period.

I didn't know you liked History.
Original post by chocolate_fan
Throw me your most random historical facts!

I'm talking about Russian Zombies scaring off the German army sort of random! (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Dead_Men)

Edward the II's boyfriend got defenestrated by Edward Longshanks :smile::smile:
Original post by MalcolmX
japanese samurai would commit harakiri (suicide by cutting abdomen) to restore honour for themselves if they committed a serious offense.

Or if their Kamikaze failed.
Reply 23
Original post by Gundabad(good)
I didn't know you liked History.

Of course, i've always liked history :smile:
Original post by Napp
Of course, i've always liked history :smile:

I took History at GCSE level. Was very interesting.
During huge mass students protests in march 1968 in communist Poland, Militia (communist police), entered lands of the University of Warsaw and attacked students.

A son of communist prime minister, Andrzej Jaroszewicz, who was studying law there, joined a fist-fight on the side of students.
As students fell back, Andrzej ended on a roof of one of the buildings, throwing benches at Militia's forces.

He was recognized and punished for this, by being kicked out from the university and forced to join the army where he commited a suicide attempt.
He was then sent to psychiatric hospital, after which he worked for a year as a sailor. Then he worked in a car factory as a test driver. Further on, he graduated from mechanical engineering, established a works rally team in the factory he worked for, and became European Rally vice-champion twice.
Original post by ennui.
Gandhi used to test his celibacy by sleeping next to naked women without touching them.
See: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/01/gandhi-celibacy-test-naked-women

This feels like one of these kind of stories:

I suspect its propaganda.:pierre:
This is a nice thread...let me think of an interesting, random historical fact that not many people know about....hmmmmm.

OK, this one may be a little contemporary, but its linked to a historical figure and it's very interesting. It came to my attention a couple of months ago on another website. So there's this guy named Victor Noir. He's a famous French journalist who was shot and killed in the 1800s for his anti-authoritarian, anti-imperialist views. He was buried in Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France where his burial site/grave has since turned into a haunt for women, who like to pose with the statue, which apparently has a large male appendage.

The statue has been molested so often that the crotch area and the face have become worn out.

Apparently in 2004 a fence was erected around the statue to stop people from touching and damaging it...but this fence was taken down after protests from the "female population of Paris" led by a couple of media outlets and now people are back to molesting the statue of this brave man, much undermining what he died for.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Pinkisk
This is a nice thread...let me think of an interesting, random historical fact that not many people know about....hmmmmm.

OK, this one may be a little contemporary, but its linked to a historical figure and it's very interesting. It came to my attention a couple of months ago on another website. So there's this guy named Victor Noir. He's a famous French journalist who was shot and killed in the 1800s for his anti-authoritarian, anti-imperialist views. He was buried in Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France where his burial site/grave has since turned into a haunt for women, who like to pose with the statue, which apparently has a large male appendage.

The statue has been molested so often that the crotch area and the face have become worn out.

Apparently in 2004 a fence was erected around the statue to stop people from touching and damaging it...but this fence was taken down after protests from the "female population of Paris" led by a couple of media outlets and now people are back to molesting the statue of this brave man, much undermining what he died for.

We get it, we get it, the French are perverts. Molesting a statue indeed:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending