The Student Room Group

Why is the north poorer than the south?

I study british history, and it seems that there has always been a north south divide where the north is worse off than the south. but why is this the case? surely the north would actually be better off, at leats, initally, given it was the first place to industrialies? The south has relied on agriculture, surely southern Britain should be more like the southern USA that didn't industrialise? I know there has always been religous divdies - although this is more of an east-west divide, has this helped to make the south richer and the north poorer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ryanwhitt443
I study british history, and it seems that there has always been a north south divide where the north is worse off than the south. but why is this the case? surely the north would actually be better off, at leats, initally, given it was the first place to industrialies? The south has relied on agriculture, surely southern Britain should be more like the southern USA that didn't industrialise? I know there has always been religous divdies - although this is more of an east-west divide, has this helped to make the south richer and the north poorer?

No disrespect to anyone except my ex, but the north of England is mostly a rundown area with chavvy people. Southerners are much more elegant and majestic.
Reply 2
I study british history, and it seems that there has always been a north south divide where the north is worse off than the south.

Not always. If you studied history you'd know that.

Original post by Fireball20
No disrespect to anyone except my ex, but the north of England is mostly a rundown area with chavvy people. Southerners are much more elegant and majestic.

Yeah, they're not at all.

As a southerner/easterner, I reject this. There are sh*tholes here too, it doesn't explain why the north is poorer, that's a consequence of it being poorer. There aren't that many chavs in east anglia, but in places like beds, herts, essex kent etc, new towns like basildon stevenage harlow. are sh*tholes too. And there are nice plaecs in the north, mainly in the northeast if I'm honest like York.

not really. i live in the south and there are many chavs. i swear I've never met a posh person
Original post by rxyaltyx
not really. i live in the south and there are many chavs. i swear I've never met a posh person

Fine, but my hatred for Northerners is due to the fact that I hate some poeple residing up there. Maybe, you get wrong people anywhere you go.

I agree with Fireball and I'm from the North. Let's not forget that the South has London, which is the economical, political and cultural centre for the UK.
And the South tends to have better weather.
Original post by Drewski
Not always. If you studied history you'd know that.

Yeah, they're not at all.

Give me examples of how in one way or another the north has been better off than the south. In the last 150-200 years anyway

London+ power+ service economy+ collapse of manufacturing and heavy industry.
This is far from true! I live in Kensington and whilst the stereotype is “rich/well spoken people etc” trust me there’s just as many “chavs” here. Chav is also a derogatory word so I’m not sure why you’re saying it to describe people.
Original post by Gundabad(good)
I agree with Fireball and I'm from the North. Let's not forget that the South has London, which is the economical, political and cultural centre for the UK.
And the South tends to have better weather.

Better weather, what does that have to do with it being richer? Are we forgetting the massive northern industiral cities that once stood proudly? Also, I actually don't think the weather in the north is that much worse than in the south. Apart from say, the far northeast maybe, and the whole region getting more rain
Original post by 999tigger
London+ power+ service economy+ collapse of manufacturing and heavy industry.

Even in the 30s and things though the north still had lots of industry and it still ended up worse off than the south.
Original post by george562
This is far from true! I live in Kensington and whilst the stereotype is “rich/well spoken people etc” trust me there’s just as many “chavs” here. Chav is also a derogatory word so I’m not sure why you’re saying it to describe people.

North Kensington is quite deprived .South Kensington is ridiculously rich.

Essex really isn't "well spoken", alright, maybe some rich people but not exactly aristocrats, just people who've made money through TV. As said, the only parts of the UK that I would say mostly lack chavs are places like Norfolk and Suffolk, and even these areas have their fare share of "chavs".
Better weather, what does that have to do with it being richer? Are we forgetting the massive northern industiral cities that once stood proudly? Also, I actually don't think the weather in the north is that much worse than in the south. Apart from say, the far northeast maybe, and the whole region getting more rain

The industrial cities are dead. You should have seen all the empty factories a decade ago. A big chuck of the service sector (the UK's primary economy now) is located in London, which is in the South.

You are so right, the elegance and majesty scale goes off the chart in the south.
Even in the 30s and things though the north still had lots of industry and it still ended up worse off than the south.

Money. and all the other things i mentioned.
North Kensington is quite deprived .South Kensington is ridiculously rich.

Essex really isn't "well spoken", alright, maybe some rich people but not exactly aristocrats, just people who've made money through TV. As said, the only parts of the UK that I would say mostly lack chavs are places like Norfolk and Suffolk, and even these areas have their fare share of "chavs".

Yeah those types of people are everywhere not just the north
Original post by 999tigger
You are so right, the elegance and majesty scale goes off the chart in the south.

You're certainly being sarcastic, but all I mean is southern people are better than notherners.
You're certainly being sarcastic, but all I mean is southern people are better than notherners.

I beg to differ 😅

You're no better with your racist remarks - "not as bad as some of the things black people have done."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending